straight axle swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '95 4runner 3vze that I recently got in a wreck in and messed up the front suspension on. Because of that i kinda figured this would be a decent opportunity to look into a straight able swap on my forerunner- does anybody know if cherokees or 60-80 series landcruiser have the same gear ratio/ steering column and driveshaft hookup location? If I'm gonna do this im gonna retrofit a axle from another vehicle because if i bought a straight axle kit from someone like Dana it would cost way too much since the whole vehicle is worth about 3k... Any thoughts or suggestions?

What do you want to end up with?

Allprooffroad, trail gear and several others offer kits to swap a 79-85 mini axle under any 86-95 Toyota. It is almost a bolt on kit these days... Is there a reason why you don't want to go that route?

The 60 and 80 axles will work, but the width of the 80 is a good bit wider and the 60 is about the right width but has the 9.5" center.

Unless you are looking for a custom axle for a serious off road rig or you have one of these axle already, I would look at picking up a mini axle and either buying a kit or piecing one together to swap it under your rig.

Excuse my ignorance but what's a mini axle? Like the ones on the little Japanese mini-trucks?

in the USA, mini truck front solid axles were in , 79 thru 83 4x4 trucks and 84-85 toyota truck and 4runners

Excuse my ignorance but what's a mini axle? Like the ones on the little Japanese mini-trucks?

Last edited:
My apologies. Yes in the US market as 85 t said, what I am calling a mini axle is the solid axle that came in the 79-85 pickups and the 85 4runners.

The kits that I mentioned use brackets and frame jigs to locate a set of leaf springs under the front axle that allow you to bolt the "mini" axle under the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom