Super bowl snow run - 3 Feb 2013 with pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your MRS had a less than flattering distinction, as I recall.

pappy said:
So ... the group of us pull into La Cueva and there is the sweet FZJ80 in the lot. We park, get out and start introductions to the new folks. The owner of the FZJ80, JemezToys, introduces himself to me, matter of factually and confidently as "John Stewart." I, and others, look at him like he knows me (true via my 4Runner), and he is pulling my leg. He says again his name is John Stewart, but folks call me "Dave." OK, I'm sure now he just knew who I was and was messing with me. Right? Nope. He pulls out his driver's license and sure 'nuff his name really is John Stewart.

Dang.

Do you demand ID from everyone you meet or only those called John Stewart? If you just do this as a general rule, may I suggest that this may be why you get so few second dates...

Don't worry Pappy, Ash is merely envious of your Runner. Most 80 guys long to be manly enough to have lock out hubs and part time 4wd.... But their need to compensate keeps them driving mall crawlers.

It was a great run. Marc would have loved it, there was no wheeling.:flipoff2:

Josh and I were, amazingly enough, right on time. We pulled into La Cueva at 859, Dave/John Stewart a few minutes later, and the ABQ contingent meanders in about 930. We finally left about 10, drove a couple miles to the airdown spot and spent another 40 minutes waiting for Ali to get his chains on. I knew it was going to be rough going in the sugar snow when I had to lock my diffs just to get out of my parking spot where we aired down. I saw a strap on the Jeep in a couple hundred yards or so and we didn't make it much past that. We spent a couple hours there sledding and eating before driving back down the hill to do more sledding across the street from Dave/John.

Dave took most of them for another little drive with less snow while those with kids hung out and sledded some more. Thanks to Susan and Nate (did I remember it right?) for the fire and s'mores!

Not much wheeling, but the kids couldn't have been happier and I'm pretty sure all the adults had a great time, too.

It was a great run. Marc would have loved it, there was no wheeling.:flipoff2:

I was thinking the same thing.

Not that any of you care but my wife is extremely happy to have a functional kitchen again with a sink and a dishwasher.

Thanks to the HDC!!

JemezToys and family, Susan and Nate, wish to thank the HDC members and non-members in attendance. We had a great time meeting all of you. Guess I have to order the chains now! For memebers not in attendance, hopefully next time (soon!) I can't remember enjoying myself that much going with a group for the first time out, you made us feel right at home. (I guess we kind of were) Glad everone had a good time.

Thanks Ali for posting the trip report/pics. Great commentary.

pappy (Jon), since I didn't check your ID, I'll assume you had the name first so I'll stick with Dave.;)

Well, Ash seems to think I'm the elder of the two. I'll just say I'm a '57 baby.

Well, Ash seems to think I'm the elder of the two. I'll just say I'm a '57 baby.

It's hard to tell who's older - both beards were pretty gray. And I can only say that because I resemble that remark. :cheers:

JemezToys said:
Let's just say JFK was gone before I came to be.
Well, there goes that conspiracy theory.

Yup, the quadcopter is now going to be a staple on all future runs! Simply a very cool perspective.

Awesome vid Lurch! Thanks for posting.

Excellent!

Very cool! I nominate Lurch as the official HDV videographer... directly under Ash as Our Glorious and Supreme Leader.

Excellent!

Awesome vid Lurch! Thanks for posting.

Yup, the quadcopter is now going to be a staple on all future runs! Simply a very cool perspective.

Very cool! I nominate Lurch as the official HDV videographer... directly under Ash as Our Glorious and Supreme Leader.

This is only a sample...not much effort here! Once the camera gimbal and FPV is sorted out then we'll see the real results :bounce:

How do you fly the copter and control the camera at the same time?

Lurch,

Could you slap a depth finder on that thing? Would be really handy for the river crossings, LOL!!!

Very cool Steve!

I always thought your videos were awesome before, but now you've outdone yourself with the aerial aspect.

How do you fly the copter and control the camera at the same time?

I press record and then fly it around;) at some point I'd like to control the pitch of the camera gimbal with a POT on the controller in addition to the stabilization the on board controller does.

Could you slap a depth finder on that thing? Would be really handy for the river crossings, LOL!!!

Seems doable, depends on the weight and size of the instrument. The control board is already capable of ultrasonic range finding for obstacle avoidance. So perhaps a laser based range finder that (might?) work through water and the ultrasonic sensor for the surface distance and you would have a calculated depth that could be broadcasted through the FVP OSD or data transmitted on the audio channel of the FPV to a laptop...:hmm:

GEEK OUT!:bounce:

I press record and then fly it around;) at some point I'd like to control the pitch of the camera gimbal with a POT on the controller in addition to the stabilization the on board controller does.

So perhaps a laser based range finder that (might?) work through water and the ultrasonic sensor for the surface distance and you would have a calculated depth that could be broadcasted through the FVP OSD or data transmitted on the audio channel of the FPV to a laptop...:hmm:

GEEK OUT!:bounce:

Eh? POT? FVPOSD? FPV?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom