HJ47 Rebuild (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
Ok, so I'm totally new to iH8MUD. I drove my TLC from Arizona to Alaska. Imagine my astonishment when I discovered that there are no parts for an Diesel Aussie HJ47 in Alaska. I decided to rebuild it and have been stripping it down. I'm now down to the chassis. I went to the store and bought PRO and want to make sure from the experts that I'm not missing any steps before I encase this baby.

I scraped all the 30+ years of crud off. Then, wire brushed the entire thing, de-greased it, pressure-washed it, sand-blasted it, and ready to coat it.

Do I need to adhere any primer or can I just do the POR? Also, how do I get the POR inside the frame? Or is it even necessary?
1.jpg
5.jpg
9.jpg

I already filled up my allotment of space with those three pictures. I can't show the bare chassis yet.

I am planning on switching the diesel to petrol. I can't run reliably on this mechanical diesel in Alaska. Any suggestions on what would be a good engine for the HJ? Also, am I going to have to change gears for the conversion?

I think most guys use por's metal prep then POR the frame. I'd run your question across a few guys that have done some restoration work though.
Unfortunaltely there aren't too many diesels around these parts, but it sure would be a shame to get rid that diesel. The good news is that a number of guys would be VERY willing to swap their entire gasser drivetrain with yours. Good luck, and great looking rig!

TK

I was amazed when Zack posted on our local page that he was starting this project. His rig was/is one of the nicest I have seen in a long time.

Personally I don't agree that you can not reliably run a mechanically injected diesel here. I love my old 6.2s It can be hard/slow to source parts for Toyota diesels here however.

A GM small block is a no brainer swap. TBI is still simple but is a step up from carbed. A 6.2 or 6.5 GM diesel is a pretty simple swap as well (We have a couple of those working their way toward happening here).

You will not need to change your gearing no matter what engine you wind up using. Depending on the tires you wind up with an how you use the rig, you may be able to and may even gain some benefits with different gearing, but those two considerations matter more than your engine selection.

I have not made the time to catch up on our local page much lately Zack, but rest assured I will be watching closely. :)

You can't go wrong with POR. It might be worth checking with Advanced Powdercoating out here in the Valley. They do great work and have fair/great prices. and an oven plenty big enough for that frame. they can sand blast it and powder coat it for you all at once.

These are cross posts of a couple of the pics Zack put up on our club page of what his rig looks like now. ;)

Mark...
557424_10151406771275628_29220429_n.jpg
484081_10151416204535628_781996898_n.jpg

Engine swap

Hey Zack (hey Mark....) -

would my 0-mile Ford 300 carbureted I-6 I discussed the other day be an appropriate candidate for the H47?

Or rather than selling you the engine, you can sell me the 47 and I'll do the swap....:hmm:

Love that model.

I only see one guy with one out here in los angeles
but his was LHD
thought this was a RHD thing only?

Great looking truck! If you don't want that diesel, I'd be happy to nip up there and haul it away for you. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom