Monstaliner: Narrowed it down to 2 choices (1 Viewer)

What color?

• WWII OD GREEN (left)

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • JUNGLE LOVE (right)

Votes: 13 50.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As some of you may know I've started sanding my truck down in preparation for doing a full liner paint job. Removed the flares and I'm in the process of smoothing and filling the welds.

I've decided on Monstaliner because it's gotten a lot of good reviews, especially on the Heep forums. I ordered the full color sample set and I thought I had settled on the WWII OD Green color. But the more I look at it, the less green it becomes.

In fact, it only looks green indoors and in deep shade. Any other time it looks tan like in the photo. So I'm kinda leaning now more towards Jungle Love.

So....what would you guys do if this were your truck? My front and rear bumpers will NOT be black. I'm thinking of having them powdercoated a gunmetal/dark silver color.

left: WWII OD GREEN
right: JUNGLE LOVE

IMAG1211_1.jpg

the truck

IMAG1208-picsay.jpg

IMAG1210-picsay.jpg

I dig the WWII OD GREEN (left).

Well, if you like tan, go with the WWII OD GREEN, as that looks tan to me. I vote Jungle Love, and then you can rename your rig the Stabin Cabin. I'm looking at greens to redo my rig, so I'm leaning that way already.

Your sample of OD Green looks different from my sample- my sample isn't nearly as brown.

Your sample of OD Green looks different from my sample- my sample isn't nearly as brown.
I'm telling you, that color plays tricks on you! I'm looking at it right now at my desk under fluorescent lighting and it looks green. But as soon as I put it under sunlight it looks tan. Another member recently painted his in OD Green and it looks totally brown outdoors too. I see you're in Rancho Cordova too, we should compare color samples :D

I would like to stick with a shade of green, something between a true OD Green and a military shade of green...

Here's what I did to get my blue. I really wanted RAF (Royal Air Force) blue, the same color as some of the WWII Supermarine Spitfires. I went to my local hobby shop, found a couple of model enamels and mixed my own shade, painted it on a 4" square piece of sheet metal, and sent it off to R & E Paint Supply to have my tint mixed (tint only, no binders) and shipped back to me. A bit more involved, but you can end up with exactly what you want. However, a year and change later, I am in need of a 2nd coat, and am contemplating something easier...army greenish. But if I can't find it, I'll have it mixed.

As a useful visual tool: go get some Model shop enamel and paint a Matchbox truck and photograph it outside in various lighting conditions.
8103916820_a00f0d6084_b.jpg

Last edited:
Jungle love from them two samples!

Sent from my DROID X2 using IH8MUD

I hate that you're changing that beautiful color, but my vote is for jungle love.

I dig the OD. Random side question, what wheels are you running? And I am guessing you have spacers behind them?

Olive.

Jungle love is gonna look like an avocado.

What color is your interior? Olive would fit better with tan interior, and the jungle love with a grey interior.

The other is just too much of a stretch, but its your butt that's going to be driving it so what ever floats your boat.

Here's what I did to get my blue. I really wanted RAF (Royal Air Force) blue, the same color as some of the WWII Supermarine Spitfires. I went to my local hobby shop, found a couple of model enamels and mixed my own shade, painted it on a 4" square piece of sheet metal, and sent it off to R & E Paint Supply to have my tint mixed (tint only, no binders) and shipped back to me. A bit more involved, but you can end up with exactly what you want. However, a year and change later, I am in need of a 2nd coat, and am contemplating something easier...army greenish. But if I can't find it, I'll have it mixed.

As a useful visual tool: go get some Model shop enamel and paint a Matchbox truck and photograph it outside in various lighting conditions.
8103916820_a00f0d6084_b.jpg

Cool stuff, thanks for the tip. I'd love to go with a custom color but I don't want to deal with having to get a new batch if I need some touch-ups. I'd like to stick with an off-the-shelf color.

Why does yours need a second coat? Is the initial coat failing?

I hate that you're changing that beautiful color, but my vote is for jungle love.

It is a nice color but I just HATE it. It's starting to show its age and I can't keep the damn truck clean. That metallic dark green is a magnet for dust, swirl marks and scratches. Branches leave terrible pin striping and it looks dirty the next day after washing it. I need something more durable and lower maintenance.

I dig the OD. Random side question, what wheels are you running? And I am guessing you have spacers behind them?

Wheels are Level 8 'Strike 6' 17x9. And yes, I'm running 1.5" spacers all around.

Olive.

Jungle love is gonna look like an avocado.

What color is your interior? Olive would fit better with tan interior, and the jungle love with a grey interior.

Yeah it's a tan interior. I think you may be right. Jungle Love may be too green. And the wife isn't crazy about it either.

F it all and do predator!

That is actually a cool color. Looks awesome under sunlight. But I just can't do it on this truck :)

The other is just too much of a stretch, but its your butt that's going to be driving it so what ever floats your boat.

Still deciding :)

I'm trying to visualize the whole truck in Jungle Love. I think that green may be a little too saturated. If wasn't as 'loud' it would probably be the perfect color.

Ah what to do!

Why does yours need a second coat? Is the initial coat failing?

My initial coat was too thin with a bit too much vinyl flattener, and now 2 years later it is turning a bit chalky. I always meant to recoat it...it just needs to go on a bit thicker with a full bottle of VF mixed in. I started with 3 1-gallon kits, wasted 75% of the first when the compressor died on me, wasted 50% of the 2nd when the damn dog knocked the hopper over, and then resorted to rolling the last gallon mixed in small batches...not quite enough. It's awesome stuff though - can't scratch it, don't need to wash it, took care of all the old hideous oxidized and pinstriped paint, reduces road noise, and so on...

I'm telling you, that color plays tricks on you! I'm looking at it right now at my desk under fluorescent lighting and it looks green. But as soon as I put it under sunlight it looks tan. Another member recently painted his in OD Green and it looks totally brown outdoors too. I see you're in Rancho Cordova too, we should compare color samples :D

I would like to stick with a shade of green, something between a true OD Green and a military shade of green...

I'm not sure if you've already picked a color but your sample really does look different from mine. When I look at mine outside it does look a little more brown but not as brown as your sample.

Have you finished your paint job? How'd it go? I'm hoping to do this in the spring.

No updates yet, but I think I may be going with the OD Green. I've noticed that it looks brown when viewing it an angle. If I view it straight on, it looks fairly green.

I'm still in the process of prepping the truck for paint so it will be a while before I even order the paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom