Kaymar Jerry Can Swingout! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brentbba

Former Golfer
Threads
After about two years of searching on and off and dreaming of a DS jerry can swingout for my Kaymar rear bumper, I found one!!! I'd contacted Kaymar through the new US distributor Ben at Outback Proven as well as speaking to Man-a-fre to see if they had any old stock lying around. Ben's been very helpful. Shoot - I even put a thread out looking for anyone down under that could see if there were any old jerry can carriers available down there. None! Kaymar didn't even have the jig to make the old style either according to Ben. I'd have gone with either a jerry can or tire swingout and just modified it to fit two jerry cans. Dumbest move Kaymar made on an otherwise very good expedition offroad bumper was to design their jerry can carrier to hold only one can. STUPID! There new design does have two, but it won't fit with the older tire carrier on older bumpers. Again, not smart design from down under. Oh well. Option I would not consider was replacing the old tire carrier with the new one to allow the new jerry can carrier to fit. No way - both together was about $1500!! :eek:

Someone here on mud was selling a Kaymar rear bumper only and I noticed the four bolt holes for the latches for swingouts on both sides. I PM'd him and asked if he had and was using the DS swingout, either jerry can or tire. He literally had purchased the entire bumper with DS jerry can and PS tire carrier just to get his hands on the PS tire carrier! He had the DS tire carrier and wanted the PS and was in the same situation as I was - not to be found anywhere! He was selling the bumper to recoup some of his cost and had no plans for the jerry can swingout. We agreed on a price (very fair for both of us) and I met him in Long Beach Thursday and picked up the swingout. He had wanted to use the single jerry can box from Kaymar for something and since I did not want the box anyway he had a local to him welding shop cut off the box being mindful to keep the swingout arm intact. They did a good job of that and it saved me having to do it or have it done

Here are pics he provided of the bare swingout w/o box. You can see the piece of the box remaining on the swingout.

JC Bare Arm 1.jpg

JC Bare Arm 2.jpg

JC Bare Arm 3.jpg

Last edited:
Seeing that the piece of sheet metal in the middle was spaced away from the arm, I knew I had to remove it. I don't have a grinder, but do have a Dremmel. There were only two welded beads about an inch long in the middle, but fully the height of the arm on either side and down the latch. Ugh! Went to work with reinforced Dremmel cut off wheels. I went thru 9 of them cutting off the remaining piece of the original box and used the cut off wheels and a tungsten carbide bit to grind down the welds reasonably well. They aren't gone but are ground down well enough for my OCD.

I cleaned the arm up and installed it and the latch on the cruiser. Drilling the holes and taping them for the 10mm bolts was easy as I had the taps already. Here are a few more pics of the work and installed arm. You can see the weld bead on either end. Not bad for not having a good grinder.

Jerry Can Arm Swingout 001.jpg

Jerry Can Arm Swingout 002.jpg

Jerry Can Arm Swingout 005.jpg

Last edited:
Now the fun begins. I do plan on stopping by my local fabricator that did the lid on my trailer to get his thoughts and price for a dual jerry can carrier. Jon at Castle Fabrication does nice work. He did the lid on Ryan's M101 also.

Other options would be to purchase one from any number of Mud vendors that make jerry can carriers and have it welded to my swingout. Luke at 4x4 Labs makes a very nice one that Boymick has on his bumper from 4x4. It sits high and is very sturdy and as fabricated could be bolted directly to my arm. His swingout and the Kaymar are both 2" wide. Luke has the option for a ladder with the bottom rung being square to bolt on his jerry can carrier when needed also. A little pricey for both, but would beat the heck out of stepping on top of the tire to get on the INTI roof rack!

IPOR, Jason at Cruisin' Offroad from Canada (met him at Moab and he does nice work!) and others also make jerry can carriers I can purchase and just have welded on locally Sean down in San Diego is fabing a killer bumper and has a jerry can or ladder/jerry can carrier option. His standard jerry can carrier is a triple and I have a message into him to see if he can do a double.

I do want the carrier to allow the cans to sit upright so that means that the carrier will have to sit up a little to allow for a good departure angle as it'll stick out a little further than the tire. I'm not in a hurry to get this done w/o research and pricing. I will prime and paint the arm. It went on very tight, so it's not coming back off for any of the work. Probably should have primed/painted it before installation, but I can cover the truck easily to avoid overspray and I just had to get it on the truck!

Having the carrier is going to be nice so I don't have to hoist those full 5 gallon jerry cans up onto the INTI rack. That's been a real PITA.

Any suggestions for good jerry can carriers to consider are welcome too!

Last edited:
Congrats Brent! The long search is over and now the fun begins!
IMO I would get something dabbed up that will go with the look of the Kaymar bumper. Going off memory I don't think the 4x4 labs will match well with the bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD App

Congrats Brent! The long search is over and now the fun begins!
IMO I would get something dabbed up that will go with the look of the Kaymar bumper. Going off memory I don't think the 4x4 labs will match well with the bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD App

I wasn't a fan of Kaymar's box look for the single can. SurfPonto here on Mud simply took that single box, chopped it in half and extended it to accomodate two cans. Turned out very nice and absolutely OEM look, but I don't have the original box as the seller wanted to do something with it even chopped up from removal.

I've taken a good hard look at Boyd's jerry can carrier from 4x4 Labs. It's nice and stout, but I didn't care for all the fancy cuts, frills, etc on some of the supports. Luke's older carriers had less frill which looked nicer IMHO. Nice thing about Luke's is that it would be a straight install I could to myself drilling out the holes in my arm for his bolt on application. Both arms are 2". I could also have it welded if I wanted more strength.

I have some pics from Jason at Cruisin' Offroad and have seen Sean's ladder/triple can carrier (local in SD). Both are very nice. Waiting to see if Sean can do a double carrier with ladder and pricing. Also going to talk to the guy that fabed my trailer lid. He did a nice job on that and via email so far said he's built jerry can carriers before. Depending on his work and design, I'll have a tough choice to make. Will most likely still have just the bare arm you see above for the M&G.

See you there!

Brent

Brent,

That’s some amazing work with a dremel tool. Tell Santa you need a grinder.

That’s great that you were able to find a swing-out.

FWIW, the extra weight makes a big difference hanging off the back. Be prepared to drag the rear even more than usual.

I’m happy with the single carrier. I have the aux tank and rarely have to carry fuel, so a water jug in the single works out well.

Hey Brent,

Really nice thread. It's great that you will be able to create a carrier that will fit your requirements. Lead the way so the others in need can follow. Keep us posted and keep the images coming.

Teaser - 4 coats of Duplicolor spray can automotive sandable primer and 3 coats of Duplicolor Acrylic Enamel gloss black paint (same as I used on the tongue/frame of the trailer) and the swingout looks very good. Pics to follow. From a following car viewpoint, you can't even see the remaining welds! Nice hot weather and 10 minutes between coats per can instructions made it go very quickly. Had the cruiser masked and covered with a drop cloth. Sorry - there will be no pics of that wonderfully beautiful look!

Looks like cr@p! I would throw it away if i was you. Given that there is a swap meet at this weekend's trip, maybe i can buy it from you or find some other :rolleyes:use for it......

:bounce: I ended up ordering a ladder/dual jerry can carrier from Jason at Cruisin Offroad up in Canada. I'd met him a couple of years ago at Moab and have seen his work. Well, the parts are on a brown truck headed to my humble abode today!!! :bounce:

Now all I need before heading to DV Saturday is to get the ladder welded to the swingout. Stay tuned!

Ok - a couple of lousy cell phone pics from this moring. Got the ladder/jerry can carrier Tuesday and got it down to Castle Fabrication yesterday afternoon to have it welded on. Jon did his usual great job-he did the lid on my and Ryan's trailers. We added a gussset on each ladder leg for add'l strength and support. He also further cleaned up the leftover welds from the Kaymar box with his grinder. Got three quick coats of primer and three coats of black gloss on it as nightfall hit. Started sprinkling about 3 hours later! S/B ok tho.

Jason at Cruisn Offroad up in Canada built this. It is beefy!! 2" tubing on the ladder and the tubing on the jerry can carrier is bigger than most of the other carriers I saw at our M&G and elsewhere. As you can see, plenty of tie down loops on it too! Very happy with how it came out.

Still need to relocate the license plate to this. Still debating just putting the plate right on the end of the jerry can carrier or have a simple mount welded just below it on the ladder so if I take the carrier off, the plate will still be there.

ladder-jerry can.jpg

ladder gussets.jpg

Looks great Brent; that thing really is beefy!

Are you leaving it rattle canned or will the OCD kick in and force you to powder coat the thing ;)

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Rattle can on the swing out and very bottom of the ladder. The spindle went on VERY TIGHT, so I don't want to take it off and risk damage to the bearings. It's greased up well, so no need to take it off.

Looking good!

We beat the snot out of our trucks on the washboards in DV for four days. This swingout did not even jiggle any it's so well built. Couldn't be happier!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom