Monstaliner'd the '62 this weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fj80toyman

...One Landcruiser at a time
Threads
Been thinking about this for awhile, finally everything came together and me and my son spent ALL DAY on Saturday putting on two colors of Monstaliner. Roof and lower rockers I did in "Desert Sand" and the middle is "WWII OD Green".

This seems like a great product with good support and I like the texture - bumpy but not gritty. Finished up pretty good. Thanks to Monstaliner for helping me out, some good people.

I'll get it all back together over the next couple of weeks, but here's a few pics.

Dan.
LF_62.jpg
LF_62_sanded.jpg
RF_62_finished.jpg

Looks great! I recently PM'd the guy advertising this product on MUD about getting this in australia but still no reply..

I would love to do my 61 in a dark grey finish!

NICE!!

Sweet. I've been thinking about this. You just hand sanded then applied. Sweet. :)

Thanks Cody Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Looks great. You'll be very happy. Did mine about a yr ago OD green. So far no fade, or scratches.

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD
image-1079096578.jpg

Sweet. I've been thinking about this. You just hand sanded then applied. Sweet. :)

Last week I spent about 3 hours a night disassembling, de-badging, rust-mending, and re-painting small parts, then Saturday spent about 14 hours putting on the coating. Now it's sweet. Saturday I thought I was gonna die!

How much of each color did it take? And how many coats did you end up applying?

I had two gallons, one of each color, and with each I had probably less than 1/4 of a gallon left over, maybe less after two full coats. I figured that each color needed to cover about the same amount of acreage. I almost wish I had other parts cleaned and ready, I would have coated them too, but by 8:30 that night I was DONE putting that stuff on!

Kinda looks like you had a nice, clean, rust-free 62. What made you do this to it?

From the pics it didn't look too bad but noone in my family wanted to ride in it or drive it because it looked so bad with faded and peeling paint on the hood and roof. There was a little rust, some all the way through, but that's what I spent all last week mending. Now it's pretty rust-free, should last another 20 years.

I like this, and I know I'm not gonna see myself coming the other way, nobody will have one quite like this. I've already gotten some funny looks from the neighbors.

Can't wait to get it all back together and drive it now! Thanks for the good comments.

Any comments about the line around the front fender? That's the first time I've seen that line done, I think it looks OK.

Dan.

i like the two tone and the way you did the front fender. Even though I had a nice 62 I always preferred the look of the round headlights in the 60 's- your 62 looks great because of that paint design.

Color combination looks great man. Now you can change the "stock for now" in your sig! Could you possibly take a close up pic to show the texture? Wow, 14 hours to apply, I am assuming it was rolled on? Why so long, was part of this time the curing process?
Thanks!
Danny

TallCanDan said:
Color combination looks great man. Now you can change the "stock for now" in your sig! Could you possibly take a close up pic to show the texture? Wow, 14 hours to apply, I am assuming it was rolled on? Why so long, was part of this time the curing process?
Thanks!
Danny

Thanks they have a lot of color choices, these just looked good together to me. 14 hours started with final sanding. Putting on the first color took longer than I thought, so by the time I made it around to where I started, it was ready for the second coat.

A final wipe down, tape off the paint line, and then mix up the second color took me awhile. So same thing, start in one corner, work around and then its ready for the second coat. It dried pretty fast, the temp and humidity must have been just right.

I'll take a close up of the texture when I can, but its ... unique for a car.

Dan.

Here's a few close-ups of the texture. Not the best phone pics.

Dan.
IMAG0341.jpg
IMAG0342.jpg

That looks really similar to my Raptor Liner.

Very cool man, it looks great!

So. The million dollar question. Was it worth it? I'm really liking the look of it. :)

Looks good dude... so do the coats seem to cover pretty evenly, color match and all? Basically, can you see lines from where you were going back and forth with the roller?

So. The million dollar question. Was it worth it? I'm really liking the look of it. :)

I wouldn't have done it another way. I wasn't going to do all the fine detail work that would have been required for a good paint job, the car is not a restoration. Cheap paint jobs aren't worth anything. For the cost of materials and time I put into, oh yeah, definitely worth it. Thanks for the comments.

Looks good dude... so do the coats seem to cover pretty evenly, color match and all? Basically, can you see lines from where you were going back and forth with the roller?

The coats, and they strongly recommend 2 and I agree, go on very smoothly. There's no hint of roller marks at all. Definitely do it in a shady place, I'm sure if the sun were on it, it would have dried or flashed differently.

Dang, I'm anxious to get it all back together and put some miles on it now.

Should I paint the door handles black? I painted the mirrors black only because the chrome was getting pretty gnarly.

Anybody have any luck with the Harbor Freight powder coating product on chrome?

Dan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom