How to install gear shift boot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The gear shift boot on my '72 FJ40 has detached from the floor. It appears to me that the boot was glued on to the floor originally (by the previous owner) - see attached pic.

It doesn't seem right to me to simply re-glue the boot to the floor - which leads me to think whether or not I'm missing a part of the boot.. I don't know.

What is the proper way to install the boot?
fj40-gear-shift.jpg

Peal away the silicone and see how the rubber is ... See if it's ripped ... Po just my havenot know to install the right way

Could be the rubber is stiff and pulls the boot out ... In that case you can soften the rubber

Not sure if you still want an OEM shift lever boot but toyotapartseast.com has them listed for about $10. Part # 33555.

If you order that boot, make sure it's the outer boot and not the inner one, though it looks like your inner boot is also missing. The small inner boot is still available but the outer one hasn't been for quite a while. I'd be surprised, actually delighted, to find they actually had the outer boot.

Outer Boot

I looked up the parts at toyota parts....

The boot part numbers are

1973 and before - Three speed Tranny - **555-55010
1973 and later - 4 speed Tranny - **555-55011

If you order that boot, make sure it's the outer boot and not the inner one...

Thanks for the heads-up - I didn't realize that there's an inner boot that goes along with the gearshift. Is there an inner boot that goes with the transfer case shifter?

Can you send me any pics and/or links so I can see what you're referring to?

I believe the stock outer boot just sits on there, no screws or anything. I also believe it is now unobtanium. I might be wrong though. I found an aftermarket one that can be screwed down with simple self tapping screws. HTH, Noah

Thanks for the heads-up - I didn't realize that there's an inner boot that goes along with the gearshift. Is there an inner boot that goes with the transfer case shifter?

Can you send me any pics and/or links so I can see what you're referring to?

Sorry for the really long delay but perhaps this will help future Cruiserheads that are having the same problem. Here are photos of the inner and outer boot on my 72 FJ40. The problem of the outer boot lifting off the floor is common (second photo). The boot apparently contracts as it ages and no longer fills the transmission cover shifter hole. There is a narrow slit around the base of the boot about a quarter of an inch deep. Ideally, when the boot is installed in the hole, the edges of the hole slide into the slit holding the boot in place. When the boot ages, it contracts and the circumference is insufficient to keep it in place and the metal slips out of the slit in the boot (see the arrow) which then pops up allowing all that nice warm air to come into the passenger compartment.

Since OEM outer boots are no longer available, I made a plastic rim (last photo) that fits into the slit around the base of the boot and can be screwed down to the transmission cover and make a tight seal around the shifter.
inner boot001.jpg
problem003.jpg
outer boot002.jpg

So, here's my fix. I used a door knob wall shied from Ace Hardware to make the rim. Using my boot as a template, I cut the center out then using my router I cut 1/4 inch channel around the top and bottom inside edge of the door shield. The width of the plastic was determined by the size of the slit around the base of the boot. After painting the plastic rim, I installed the boot in it, added some foam insulation around the bottom of the rim, drilled out the holes for the mounting screws (counter sinking the top) and installed the rim around the shifter hole. Made for a neat installation and keeps the boot securely in place.
parts002.jpg
raw escheon004.jpg
fine001.jpg

Thanks for that info, Kayaker.

You're most welcome. Sorry it took me 5 months to get that photo of the inner boot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom