2nd gen 4Runner seats in 1st gen 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WarDamnEagle

SILVER Star
Threads
OK if you search "seats" you get 257 threads with any relevant thread leading back to a dead link in the FAQ. I assume that link is Jerod's write-up for his install.

So I have found some nice cloth 1995 4Runner seats for $100 each and am thinking of putting them in our 1985 4Runner. My understanding is that it's a direct swap except for one frame hole which doesn't line up exactly. I further assume that if you do this you loose the passenger side tilt/slide functionality (seat slides forward when you tilt it forward to allow for access to the rear seat). I can probably live with that but thought I would see if anyone has done anything differently. (EDIT: This is not true as you retain the seat rails, etc. from the original passenger seat. Details are in the thread.)

Has anyone, for example, taken the frames apart and put the 2nd gen seats (more or less intact) on the bottom part of the 1st gen frame so that the bolts line up perfectly and you don't loose the tilt/slide feature?

Comments welcome from anyone that has done this swap. Thanks!

EDIT: OK if you have just stumbled into this thread, the short answer is no; they don't "bolt" in. At least they don't bolt in without any modifications. You need to use the frame rails (bottom part of the seat frame) from the original passenger side seats and you will need to modify most of the holes. After that they will "bolt" right in. Read the rest of the thread for specifics.

Last edited:
Well I got the seats but I don't see any way that these are going to fit. If you look at the pic of the old seats (right) vs the new seats (left) you can see that the frame bolt holes aren't even close. Not to go into all the dimensions but in general the new seats are 3" longer front to back, center to center, and a bit narrower side to side.

I called the place that I got them from and they gave me the VIN number over the phone. It is a 95 4Runner that was manufactured in 11/94. I've included another pic of the new seats from the front.

So what is going on? My understanding is that 90 - 95 would drop in except for one hole that was a little off?
95 Seats 005.jpg
95 Seats 006.jpg

Well this link in the FAQ is dead: 4Runner seat swap 90-95 into 84-89 including back seat swap

If you read post #7 of this link: Toyota Offroad Resources - Use 2nd Gen 4runner rear seats for 1st Gen 4runner it sounds like they bolt right in except for one hole. No mention of swapping rails. He used 93 or 94 seats. I wonder if there was a change in the 4Runner seats between 94 and 95?

I've looked at swapping the rails but it doesn't look very easy. If this is what you did then I would love to hear the details.

Thanks!

i changed the rails out to the 90 seats i put in my truck, well at least the passenger side, and then reamed the hole that does not line up on the drivers side. and the passenger seat still has the tilt slide feature.

it is not that hard take the plastic off and look it is just un-bolting the rails, this actually takes the padded portions off, and bolt the new padded portions on.

it is not that hard take the plastic off and look it is just un-bolting the rails, this actually takes the padded portions off, and bolt the new padded portions on.

Sorry but I'm not following you. I have taken the plastic off both sides of the old and new seats and have also removed the bottom cushion from both seats. I don't see anything else that unbolts. Everything is riveted together. Do I drill the rivets and then use bolts to put it back together?

hhmm i just unbolted the seat back and bottom, and bolted the 90 seat back and bottom on.

never looked at the 95 i wonder if toyota changed some thing in the seats between those years.

you could drill the rivets, an tap out for bolts, but if they used rivets is the metal inside thick enough to tap and get a good hold.

i will look at mine and shoot you a pic.

The 4Runner is at the paint shop but I think I'm going to go over tomorrow and take a look. I did a bit more research online and I get the impression that the driver's seat will bolt in but the passenger seat rails are shorter but there's extra holes which might be close? Hard to tell without the 4Runner in front of me.

I've done 3 sets, but it's been a few years since the last one. As I recall, you have to unbolt the lower cushion, then undo the lower seam on the back of the seat back, and pull the cover up till you get to the 2 bolts on each side.

You want to retain at least the pass side rails, because of the flip and slide. The new seats only slide a fraction of the what the old pass side does...

I've done 3 sets, but it's been a few years since the last one. As I recall, you have to unbolt the lower cushion, then undo the lower seam on the back of the seat back, and pull the cover up till you get to the 2 bolts on each side.

You want to retain at least the pass side rails, because of the flip and slide. The new seats only slide a fraction of the what the old pass side does...

That was helpful. I just didn't dig far enough up the sides. Here's a photo of the two bolts on my '85 non-SR5 deluxe passenger seat.

Two more questions. I noticed that the the '95 bottom is narrower by about 3/4" than the '85 bottom. When I put the '95 bottom in the '85 rails I assume that is why the bolts won't line up perfectly. Would it help to use some small (1/4" +/-) spacers all around between the bottom and the rail frame?

Second question. Has anyone ever repaired the 3 section cable on the bottom of the passenger seat? As you can see in the second photo one of my cables has pulled loose. It looks factory sealed but I might try to tear it apart. I'm assuming this cable is no longer available from Toyota but I will also check on that.
95 Seats 007.jpg
95 Seats 008.jpg

I remember trying to repair that exact cable back when I had my '85 4Runner, same failure. I cut that thing open and realized I was probably not gonna be able to get it to last. I ended up buying a new one from Toyota.

I could not remember if the newer seats were narrower, or wider. If they are narrower, you could use spacers instead of drilling out the mounting holes. But you will have to space the holes on the upper part of the seat as well.

The only issue I see is the rod that goes between the rails and operates the flip mechanism I think... Spacers may not work... Let us know!

Looks like the cable is available. Credit to WarDamnEagle for actually digging up a part #. :cool:

OK so I put the '95 passenger back on the '85 passenger rails. What a pain in the ass if you try this without removing the hog rings from the back so that you can peel the skin up. I removed them on the old seats but didn't want to remove them on the new backs. I finally managed to get the new back on. See pics. It helps if you have a ratcheting boxed end wrench.

I put the '95 driver's bottom on the '85 passenger rails and of course put the '95 passenger's bottom on the '95 rails.

I now have two complete seats. I'm going to take them over to the paint shop this afternoon and see how well they are going to fit in the 4Runner. Hopefully the driver's bolts in and the passenger's is close.
95 Seats 009.jpg
95 Seats 010.jpg
95 Seats 012.jpg

Just curious but why didn't you just undo the hog rings and then put them back when you were done?

Just curious but why didn't you just undo the hog rings and then put them back when you were done?

Because I like a challenge?

Actually I don't have any hog rings or hog ring pliers. I'm sure I could get some locally and I know that they aren't that expensive but I didn't have any at my fingertips so I did it the hard way. It actually only took about 5 minutes per side so it's not like it was next to impossible but a pain, nonetheless.

:lol: Just so you know I saw this thread and will chime in later once I am back in town and not off working w/ just my phone and no laptop or Pics to help ya with.

If you haven't figured it out by Thursday just sit back and smile while saying the following in my Redneck style voice parody...

"I keen make her dun fit en der, jus watch this here git dun." ;)

Last edited:
That was helpful. I just didn't dig far enough up the sides. Here's a photo of the two bolts on my '85 non-SR5 deluxe passenger seat.

Two more questions. I noticed that the the '95 bottom is narrower by about 3/4" than the '85 bottom. When I put the '95 bottom in the '85 rails I assume that is why the bolts won't line up perfectly. Would it help to use some small (1/4" +/-) spacers all around between the bottom and the rail frame?

Second question. Has anyone ever repaired the 3 section cable on the bottom of the passenger seat? As you can see in the second photo one of my cables has pulled loose. It looks factory sealed but I might try to tear it apart. I'm assuming this cable is no longer available from Toyota but I will also check on that.

sorry i did not post any pics, i did not remember having to peel up the back like that. if you need a new to you cable i think i have one in the garage, if not i am removing the seat out of mine so i will not be using the one that is on there now, hoping to get to it this weekend. so if you need it PM me.:cheers:

sorry i did not post any pics, i did not remember having to peel up the back like that. if you need a new to you cable i think i have one in the garage, if not i am removing the seat out of mine so i will not be using the one that is on there now, hoping to get to it this weekend. so if you need it PM me.:cheers:

Thanks for the offer. I think I have a new one on the way and it wasn't that expensive. We'll know in the morning if it's the right cable but I'm 99% sure it will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom