GCLC goes to Cruise Moab 2012 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sdsysdesign.com
This is proving to be an epic year for the GCLC as we now have 10 trucks and 15 members heading west to Utah this spring for Cruise Moab 2012. For most, it will be their 1st time making a trip like this and I suspect it won’t be their last. Once you go you understand that you will be back each year.

Last time I logged over 4500 miles on my 20 year old 80 Series from the time I left Jersey to when I returned 12 days later. It’s an almost effortless drive as you’re on either RT80 or RT70 the entire way across the country. Basically you set the Cruise Control to 70, crank up Zeppelin, sit back and relax. Before the end of the first day, you enter into a symbiotic relationship with the vehicle and the drive actually gets easier and the miles pass quickly.

In any case, registrations and trail selections have been done, condos have been rented, and preparations are under way for all attending vehicles.

I started this thread with the hope of documenting all of our experiences in one place. Feel free to post up anything related to your trip.

Last edited:
Maintenance punch list:
Baseline fluid change and tune-up before April. Parts and fluids ordered. With any luck the weather will hold and I'll be able to knock this stuff out in a few days. I should probably put the new steering damper on that's been sitting on the shelf for the last 3 months.

Had to get to the DMV and re-register my M416 with a new tag. Apparently I lost the old plate on the way back from Rami's property. It's somewhere along RT81 between Watertown, NY and Scranton, PA.

I need new street tires for the M416. The bias ply military tires and tubes I bought last year aren't meant to sit at 70mph for 4000 miles. That was a bad choice on my part. Didn't really think it through. If anyone is interested in 1 year old tires with tubes, they will be offered at a very good price in April. The link below are the tires I purchased along with 2 new tubes.
https://www.universaltire.com/truck-and-military/military/700-16-firestone-military-ndcc.html

My plans are a little more extensive. I'm going to rebulid the front end of the 4Runner using the TG trunnion eliminator kit, all new seals and bearings along with new bushing in the springs.
Mount my SX's on the new beadlocks and balance with airsoft bb's.
New trailer tires and new tires for the Tundra too.
Crap this is getting expensive!

I need to get into Dave's shop at some point and have him hot glue my exhaust. I've got a couple of leaks I need addressed. I also want him to look at the frame repair by the steering box. We may need to plate that area.

My entire driveline was replaced with all new parts when my front end kersploded, so all that's off the list. When the top tank of my radiator split and I replaced it 2 years ago, I replaced all rubber hoses from front to rear including new power steering lines. All belts were done before last years trip out west and I have spares of everything, so that's all off the radar.

I need to replace the lower rear shock bolts that get hammered by rocks. I have them sitting in my parts box for over a year now.

Basically she's in pretty good shape other than the rust holes. Street tires are a year and a half old with lots of tread. Brake system was just rebuilt. I think just a good fluid change and tune up and she'll be ready for the long haul.

Jim Mal here, 1st trip to Moab, in My own 2007 FJc 6sp MT. Which i got in May 09.
1st event was Coal Mine July 09, Stock w/rock rail & trans. skid & have been Hooked ever since.
Drove 160 miles into PA.to meet OB that lives across the Lake from me.Dave (X Pres) & Many other Great people.
Figured since still have 2 yrs & 55k on warranty, Now is the year to Start Going to Moab with same Great People.

1st & Last time in Moab was 1998, with 14 friends that rented heeps for 3 days of wheelin Moab, then Rafted Colorado river for 4 days. Felt like jumping into a John Wayne movie.

I Have to go see this Great Country again!!
& get Ham Licence. :)

10 trucks??? I'm now wondering who is going. How about a list, and seeing as there will be a good group with hams, maybe we should print out sticky notes or something with every1's call sign.

Thinking I should just join GCLC so I don't keep feeling like a red headed step child on your websites. :D

Current list of attendees (doesn't include significant others that are attending):

Martin Bickford FJC KK4GVY
John Casale FJ60 KK4HAN
Jon Held FJ80 KD2AKI
Chris Hauser FJC KD2BQT
Rami Hyari LX450 KD2KDK
Bob Lopez 4Runner KD2BRX
Jim Mallon FJC
Nick Pearl 4Runner KD2AVQ
Steve Scott FJC
Eli Spiegler FJC

Last edited:
so who is towing and who is driving, do you need a registered vehicle to run moab?

so who is towing and who is driving, do you need a registered vehicle to run moab?

Martin, Bob, Nick, and Eli are trailering out. The rest of us are driving. Check rules and regulations at www.cruisemoab.com

You guys have a great trip and stay safe!! I'll see you at CMCC12.

From tlca regulations it looks like vehicle registration is required. Thats sucks for the guys that want to run their buggies at cruise moab. But i think u dont need registration if u just want to run moab trails on your own. Maybe an ohv sticker is required.

From tlca regulations it looks like vehicle registration is required. Thats sucks for the guys that want to run their buggies at cruise moab. But i think u dont need registration if u just want to run moab trails on your own. Maybe an ohv sticker is required.

There are lots of buggies in Moab all the time. We require vehicle registration for CMCC as well. That doesn't mean no buggies. If you're interested in coming out, reach out to the CM crew. They're very nice folks.

Current list of attendees (doesn't include significant others that are attending):

Martin Bickford FJC
John Casale FJ60
Jon Held FJ80 KD2AKI
Chris Hauser FJC
Rami Hyari LX450 KD2KDK
Bob Lopez 4Runner
Jim Mallon FJC
Nick Pearl 4Runner KD2AVQ
Steve Scott FJC
Eli Spiegler FJC

Edit please, KK4GVY

Last edited:
Rig update

I spent some quality time under the truck last week, and will probably get some more done today. Replaced all 4 steering ends and put the new IronMan steering damper on. Both tie rod ends were pretty shot and had slop in them and the pitman arm relay rod end had a nice bend in it. Still need to get the steering wheel centered properly, but that usually takes the longest as I tend to adjust back and forth until it's "just right". Truck drives a lot better now. I lightened up the amount of toe in from 1/4" to 1/8" and she still tracks true on the highway with good return to center even with the less than optimum caster.

All of my lower control arm bushings are shot. I had replaced them all with the blue poly bushings from Christo years ago, but they just don't hold up well. I ordered the new black 3 degree caster bushes for the front axle side and new OEM Toyota rubber for the frame side front and the rear control arms. The new black caster bushes from Christo are supposed to be more pliable and shouldn't break down the way the blue ones did. The combination of the 2 should give a nicer ride. We'll see.

Went through several cans of engine cleaner trying to localize leaks. The "green" products work about as well as water to remove the accumulated crap on my engine. I will move on to something more aggressive.

Made a slight adjustment to my AT linkage. I was having an issue keeping the transmission in 1st gear when the front was severely flexed with the nose in the air. It would slip into 2nd gear and I'd lose all the torque. Hard to check if it worked, but it's a 10 second adjustment.

Cleaned my street rims for the first time in several years. Looks pretty sharp.

Heading into Dave Crum's shop in the next few days to drop the transmission/transfer case and get to the rear main seal. I'm pretty sure that's the main leak I've been chasing, but the only way to know for sure is to R/R it.

I'm a bit apprehensive about pulling parts apart that haven't been pulled off since they were assembled in the Araco plant, but it'll give me a chance to clean things up a bit.

M416 tires/tubes FS

In preparation for my trip out west, I just placed an order for AT type street tires for my M416 (Yokohama Geolander AT/S). I'm pulling the 1 year old Firestone military tread bias ply OEM tires and tubes and putting them up for sale at a good price. I purchased the tires and tubes from Universal Tire and they can be seen here:
https://www.universaltire.com/truck-and-military/military/700-16-firestone-military-ndcc.html

Both tires and tubes were installed last April before my trip out west and have around 5-6K highway miles on them. Zero trail miles, no scuffs, no tears, no nothin'. I'd like to see $170 for the 2 pairs of items which is 50% off what I paid a year ago. I can store them in my garage for a while so there's no rush. I can deliver them to any event I'll be attending this year from Moab in May through the Yankee Toys FG in October.

I'll be pulling the tires when I go to pick up my trailer which is in storage in PA on my brother's farm. Probably within the next few weeks. If you have any interest, please contact me directly.

jon [at] sdsysdesign [dot] com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom