Max-Trax Substitute? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering what people's thoughts were if I might be able to recycle an old plastic pallet, trim off the feet, cut it into half and use them as sand ladders/traction ladders. What do you think?

I found some here in Denver that are only $25 a piece.

I thnk the max trax have a better friction surface on top than the pallets, these might be slick with muddy tires.

Having said that I think the price of the maxtrax are a bit inflated, if I had access to some free pallets Id probably give them a try myself.

Also, I suspect one of the key features to the maxtrax is there length, which distributes the weight of the tire better to get above the sand/mud/etc.

Pallets might be not as effective for that reason.

I agree with the comments on the Maxtrax. Very good point about the pallets being slick if they are wet or muddy. The size of the Maxtrax are: 115 cm (3.77') long, 33 cm (13") wide and 7cm (2.75") high. Two stacked MAXTRAX are just 8.5 cm (3.3") high, 4 are 115mm high.

The pallets are 40"x 48" by 6", so I would cut them in half thickness wise, and then down to 13" or 14" width wise and be set.

What do you think if I would wrap some of the splines with skateboard tape for added friction? Do you think that might be enough for better traction?

What do you think the best saw or blade I should use to cut these thick plastic pallets?

I would not fool around with the thickness. Would be hard to cut and the thicker the stronger. You could cut in some grooves with a router for better traction.

actually, used snowmobile track on a rigid surface would be excellent. Might be able to pick up some older used tracks for free depending on what area you are in.

Maybe attached to something like an old aluminum ladder or something. That might even work better.

Has anyone used old tires cut open to lay flat? I thought I saw that posted somewhere?? Would those work very well?

i've seen some military folk use cut up aggressive tread tires before.

sometimes it is nice to have something rigid to bridge with though. I just carry a couple 1" thick boards. too big though to just leave in the vehicle.

I have been looking for one of those old rubber entrance mats, the kind that is built with rubber rectangles and wire. I figure they can be cut down to 48 x 15. They can be rolled up and stored and not take up much room.

The pallets might work well if you flip them over and put the smooth side down. Aren't maxxtrax more for distributing the weight of the vehicle in soft sand, mud, etc? If they get wet they won't have any better traction.

If something to disperse the weight of a vehicle try poultry flooring, same waffle type pattern and close enough to disperse weight and not sink and ~$21 for a 2'x4' piece. Cut one in half and you have two. They won't be strong enough to bridge with but they will be a bit flexible to conform to the terrain.

PolyMax Poultry/Kennel Flooring - FarmTek

You should be able to find some of those pallets in any industrial park. They break all the time so we they tend to pile up in the back of warehouses.

Drive by a local freight company. Many customers want their pallets to look perfect at time of delivery so they just switch them out before delivering.

used conveyor belt

there is a guy on lcool forum that is trying milk crate bases joined together. they could be picked up for free too

The smitty built ones are about the same price as the maxtrax knock offs over here.

Cheaper way would be buy a pr and go halves with someone, because right tyres, right pressures, makes one maxtrax about as useful as 2.

We have a theory on those who carry maxtrax here..........:doh:

You could easily weave/tie a bunch of large diameter rope through the pallet openings in order to increase the traction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom