Another what turbo for my 1hz thread.... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Merry Christmas Everyone.

So the past week and a bit here I have been wanting to turbo my truck really freaking bad after doing a bunch of reading and talking with people.

I initially was going to splurge and buy a kit but I have a hard time spending +3k or very close to it just for a kit not including a full exhaust, not having it ceramic coated and not even including my gauges and potentially my intercooler.

I then though heck I could buy a turbo for around $600 bucks and piece the other stuff for the turbo minus the gauges and other gadgets I could probably do it for under $600 again fairly easy.

I am hoping to go with one of these adapters:
Advanced (HB) Intercoolers - Turbo Adaptor Plates

So I have been doing a ton or reading and I am wanting to start another good discussion on what turbo I should be using.

I want to run a journal bearing turbo and probably go the 360 thrust washer (if its really needed).
I also plan on adding water cooling if possible just to keep the unit a little bit cooler.
Ceramic coating the manifold, plate, turbo and dump.

Planning on setting max boost to 14psi when the intercooler is on

this is the dump I am planning on running,
T25 T28 5 BOLT TO 3 V BAND ADAPTOR CLAMP SET [ac-062] - $60.00 : GodSpeed Project, The Art of Performance

I have read that the TD04-16G or the 16T might be a good option for this engine. I think it is roughly a .63 a/r on the cold side while .43 a/r on the hot side.

This is roughly the same set up as running a Supra compressor and 1hd-t turbine (.48 a/r) from a 1hd-t ct26.

I have also been reading that the gt2860r would also be a good choice running .63 a/r on both the hot and cold side.

My overall goal is to have boost kick low range yet still be able to hold nice say to max 3000 rpm.

Lshobie runs a Progressive 3231 compressor side and a .48 turbine while in the past he had a .68 turbine.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I will be hopping on the turboing-1HZ band wagen soon and have been skimming through some options.....cheaps options that is:D

I am thinking as i will do most of my driving around town, the lower end of the rpm spectrum of the 1HZ is sufficient for my needs. My driving locale may actually help with the reliability issue of turboing the 1HZ because it directs me to a larger turbo. Only spooling at the higher rpm during my limited highway time is my setup goal.

Btw, do you know the volumetric efficiency of the 1HZ?

I am thinking of getting a 7mgte ct26, lots of rebuild parts available.

Here is a good site for our needs.........Turbocharger Compressor Calculations

CT26 for sure

The CT26 actually makes things more complicated for me.
Makes my build more expensive when i know I can get the same performance elsewhere.
That dame exhaust manifold is a heavy freaking thing to ship which means its expensive.

The CT26 actually makes things more complicated for me.
Makes my build more expensive when i know I can get the same performance elsewhere.
That dame exhaust manifold is a heavy freaking thing to ship which means its expensive.

Have you source out the 1HDT manifold?? + CT26 will completely factory set up.
Adding any boost compensator to your ip?:confused:

Have you source out the 1HDT manifold?? + CT26 will completely factory set up.
Adding any boost compensator to your ip?:confused:

yes I was originally going to go this route.
I would have to source from Australia.

The boost comp will be added when I need to service my pump which I hope will not be anytime soon.

tell yah what,
i am turboing my red ragtop with the PZ engine.
turboing the HZ is very very similar so if you want to do a cheap but extremely fun turbo then wait a bit. i have to have it done in time to ship the truck to river shiver in Feb
so
wait for the thread if you want.
the turbo is a mapped unit for my driving style, power comes on smoothly and starts around 1700 rpm.
the HZ and the PZ have adaquate power below that and they really only need help on the hills.

this might work for you or it might not be applicable ...

cheers and good luck in the installation.

tell yah what,
i am turboing my red ragtop with the PZ engine.
turboing the HZ is very very similar so if you want to do a cheap but extremely fun turbo then wait a bit. i have to have it done in time to ship the truck to river shiver in Feb
so
wait for the thread if you want.
the turbo is a mapped unit for my driving style, power comes on smoothly and starts around 1700 rpm.
the HZ and the PZ have adaquate power below that and they really only need help on the hills.

this might work for you or it might not be applicable ...

cheers and good luck in the installation.

Yes I am very curious to see what you end up doing Wayne.
I am hoping to find something that spools up at about 1600rpm.
I would take something lower but I want this to be able to be a good all round turbo.
Are you sourcing out of Ontario or are you going back to your fellows in Alberta?
Keep me posted as i am completely open to suggestions.

Well, if this helps, I mapped a few compressors for you. As it happens my 3b's larger turbo is set up very close to the displacement of a 1hz. I would recommend a T3-60 trim compressor -63 A/R hot side just because they are so rugged and plentiful. You could do a .48 hot side and the compressor will not surge even pushing 20psi at 1500rpm. The TD04s map well as well, but I am not sure what hot side you would need.... 8cm...9cm. Im not sure. They are also plantyful, but the T3 has larger bearings and shaft and will take more punishment (my opinion). Here are some maps set up for 14psi. The dots indicate 1000, 1200, 1350, 1500, 1850, 2200, 2800 and 3400 rpm.

T3 60 trim

t3-60.jpg
t3-60.jpg
td04-15g.jpg
td04-16t.jpg

Last edited:
Of all of these I personally would go for the T3 60 trim with a 63 hot side as I think it would be best all round. These come stock in mustang SVO and Thunderbird 2.3L with manual tranys, autos come with .48. You could do a .48 and would have lots of torque but would loose the top end for sure. I think it would choke out pretty early like 2600, but boost would be very nice in the 1500rpm range. The .48 set up would need a pretty largeish waste gate I would think.

I just did a bit of looking into what size turbine and exhaust housing that would be good you for you in a TD04 and you would have to create one as there is no off the shelf one that would work. Actually All of the exhaust housings would be too small except for some of the newer S40s which would be pricey.

Also, the 2860rs and the 2860r 62 trim mapped alright, but they will come close to surging with the .48 exhaust housing.

g

Last edited:
Gerg, I really appreciate what you did.
I was looking at the t3 60 trim.
Its a fairly cheap turbo to deal with as well....

WOW what a guy. I was going to, whenver i felt like crunching numbers, calculate the flow at certain rpms for the 1HZ and map it. I've read that the supra ct26 falls between the T3 60trim and T3 super 60.

Looking at the map, boost starts at 1350, and 1550 to 2200 is the best efficency, right at the 1HZ's peak torque at 2200. However, the T3 may be too small for over taking on the highway and start choking above 3400.

Thanks again, it gives me a reference point.

For my needs i will look at a larger unit that spools later.

BTW Gerg,

In your calculations......

What number did you use for volumetric effiency?

And did you use 1 atm, sea level, for pressure?

Really looking forwards to this thread. I would like to do the same to my 1hz 80 series... But not by spending usd 3000 or anything close

I would like to try GT2860R that would be even more perfect if we can souce something in the .56 AR for hot side .. but still .. IMOP good choice .. but that would also depends in what do you want to do with it .. just mild boost ? or big boost ..

Hey Karter,

A guy here on the isl. is going Variable Geometry on his 1HZ. He has bought the turbo already and is in the process of installing it I believe.

His handle is "Koops" his name is Keith.

He's the kind of guy that pays attention to detail and researches the h*ll out of stuff. Might be worth a PM.

Good luck.

Last edited:
VE was conservative at 90% at 2200rpm. Pressure at 14.6 psi reference... sea level. Target air fuel was 19:1 Would blow black im guessing, but the map shows lots of room on either side. Now when the turbine will spool is the big question cus a map program will not tell you that. You have to guess. Saying that this turbo set up will make 7psi at 1300rpm is to see how well it maps. Not what it will actually do in real life. It lets you see where it will fall in the islands. This is what makes turboing a black art... all the guesswork. The nice thing is that the T3 can swap exhaust housings very easily and cheaply with almost no change to the exhaust. So fooling around with it is not a big deal.

g

Here are the newer compressors. If I had to choose I would go with the RS cus if you stuck a small housing it would be less likely to surge at lower RPMs These are mapped exactly like the others. These will take you to 4000RPM

gt2860-2.jpg

gt2860-3.jpg

Cheers and Happy New Year to all the diesel nerds!
gt2860-2.jpg
gt2860-3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom