2000 4Runner aftermarket catalytic converter woes (California specific) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'll try and make this short...dreaded P0420 code, O2 sensors, etc. ruled out. California is crazy, as most of you know by now, and so there are restrictions on aftermarket cats.

To bring you up to speed (though it's a little confusing), there's this post on Yotatech:

2000 4Runner CA catalytic converter mystery explained | Catco vs. Miller?? - YotaTech Forums

Even though that's from 2yrs ago, the long and the short of it is that the 2000 4Runner 3.4L from the engine family YTYXT03.4FFR has not been added to the "certified" list supplied by Airtek/CatCo, and thus there is no exemption for those cats to be used on the 2000 4Runner, even though the SAME ENGINE FAMILY is approved for the 2000 Tundra.

So what you're left with as an owner of a 2000 4Runner in need of a new cat, is a minimum $850+ price tag for the cat (if you talk sweet to Cruiserdan--I think they sell Toyota authorized stuff), plus your labor or paying for someone else's.

According to that Yotatech post, the CA Air Resources Board folks say it could be as easy as Airtek updating their lists and telling ARB about it...but they haven't.

So there's that.

:crybaby:

One more thing...

PS: You can go here https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/PartsSearchTool/CatalystSearchTool.aspx to look for what vehicles are approved for aftermarket catalytic converters in CA.

Also, from the list that page furnishes you with (if you search for a 2000 Tundra with the same engine), you will find many 4Runners listed as approved, even some 6cyl, but none with the particular YTYXT03.4FFR engine family type. (I've attached that here.)

Attachments

• Executive Order Authorizing Airtek Aftermarket Cats.pdf
    521.1 KB · Views: 518
Had to respond...I've been down this road!!! CA is a pain in the arse!
I used this site when I bought my cat California Legal Converters
But I looked up your truck, and they don't list it as you said.

Just curious, and I don't know enough about models from year to year...but is the 2001 3.4L the same exhaust system? Because they do list an 01. If the exhaust is the same, you may be able to get by with a universal. Technically, what you said is correct...not 100% legal. But I can't see any SMOG station failing you, so long as your CEL light is off, the SMOG test passes, and they see the CA legal stamp on the unit. No way they are looking up the engine family on the ARB list.

My question would be, "if they list an 01, why don't they list an 00 then?". I would think it's because the exhaust is different. But as you said, it's also possible they just didn't list it or made an error or something.

good luck! Hope you don't get stuck with a big price tag

Just curious, and I don't know enough about models from year to year...but is the 2001 3.4L the same exhaust system?

I do not know; but the appearance from the list is that regardless of exhaust types, the certification is year by year, maker by maker, model by model, engine by engine.

Technically, what you said is correct...not 100% legal. But I can't see any SMOG station failing you, so long as your CEL light is off, the SMOG test passes, and they see the CA legal stamp on the unit. No way they are looking up the engine family on the ARB list.

I'd probably agree with that...but I have funny luck--probably MY smog tech would do it :bang:

My question would be, "if they list an 01, why don't they list an 00 then?".

According to the letter from the ARB person on the Yotatech post, it seems like it was an oversight because that particular make/model/engine was a late addition (kind of like a year 2000.5), so the aftermarket makers kind of forgot (or didn't bother) to certify it for production.

Hope you don't get stuck with a big price tag

Thanks; I would've been stuck, but for a technicality--I just bought the truck and forgot to have the PO smog it; when the CEL went off two days later, I had it checked out (P0420 code) and then told the PO about it. Of course, he doesn't want to fork out $2500 for a car he doesn't own anymore, so he offered and I accepted to give it back to him/get a refund. (Note: In CA, the seller ALWAYS has the obligation to smog it before the sale; even if sold "as is," the seller is still responsible for smogging the vehicle.)

On the factory cat there is a production split. If your vehicle was produced before 08/2000 and it's California, it takes the same cat as the post 08/2000 production. After 08/2000 there is only one number. Forum price is $857.42 from me.

On a side note, I used to have a 96 3.4 Runner and my cat was stolen. The insurance company refused to pay for a factory cat even though I offered to do the parts at my cost. I ended up having to put an engine in the truck 6 months later and the cat had totally come apart. 6 months! I would never put an aftermarket cat on a vehicle I owned after having that happen.

Edit: My truck WAS Cali emissions also.

On the factory cat there is a production split. If your vehicle was produced before 08/2000 and it's California, it takes the same cat as the post 08/2000 production. After 08/2000 there is only one number. Forum price is $857.42 from me.

On a side note, I used to have a 96 3.4 Runner and my cat was stolen. The insurance company refused to pay for a factory cat even though I offered to do the parts at my cost. I ended up having to put an engine in the truck 6 months later and the cat had totally come apart. 6 months! I would never put an aftermarket cat on a vehicle I owned after having that happen.

Edit: My truck WAS Cali emissions also.

When my 98 4Runner's cat was stolen, my insurance co (State Farm) ended up footing the bill for a Toyota cat...all $1700. I guess I was lucky. Now, having trouble finding CARB exempt cat for 01 Sequoia. You'd think it's the same as the Tundra's.

I'm in the exact situation.

Can the person who started this thread chime in on what they did and the outcome?

I'm debating about ordering an aftermarket on and putting in myself or taking to a shop (not dealer) and having them deal with it.

If you just need the light off and don't have to pass a tailpipe test you can try what I did. We had a 2000 4Runner sport for 10 years that was a California Spec vehicle. Yet it was originally sold here in NH... I got the P0420 cat efficiency code and replaced the rear 02 sensor as a first stab at it. Light came back on a week later. So I cut the flange off the old sensor and used it as a spacer to move the 02 sensor out of the exhaust stream a little. Worked like a charm. I did that probably 4 years ago and another family member now has the truck and the light hasn't come back on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom