Looking for a good mechcanic... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey,

Having some issues with the FJ40. Driving me crazy. Anyone know a good land cruiser mech if this gets ugly?

Hey,
I just followed your thread on the current issues.
I'm no expert but I have had the "idle" issue and it has always been crap in the carb.

Not sure of how familiar you are with the carb. On my 2F there are 2 access screws on the front next to the sight glass. I have had success removing these and spraying carb cleaner directly ito the jets behind them.

I see you ordered a TrollHole. I got mine in June and its been great, almost plug and play if you are already de-smogged.
Also, I'm running 2 fuel filters to try to keep the junk out of the carb.

Let me know if I can help.

Dave

Hey,
I just followed your thread on the current issues.
I'm no expert but I have had the "idle" issue and it has always been **** in the carb.

Not sure of how familiar you are with the carb. On my 2F there are 2 access screws on the front next to the sight glass. I have had success removing these and spraying carb cleaner directly ito the jets behind them.

I see you ordered a TrollHole. I got mine in June and its been great, almost plug and play if you are already de-smogged.
Also, I'm running 2 fuel filters to try to keep the junk out of the carb.

Let me know if I can help.

Dave

Thanks Dave will try the carb cleaner. It is driving me bat s***!

I still have the air rail and EGR but no smog pump. Looks like most of the smog is gone. I still have the VCV and VAC boxes installed. Do I need to be totally desmog to work with a trollhole carb?

I still have the air rail and EGR but no smog pump. Looks like most of the smog is gone. I still have the VCV and VAC boxes installed. Do I need to be totally desmog to work with a trollhole carb?

I dont think so.

I did my desmog at the same time I got the troll hole carb.
There is only 1 vac port on it for the distrib advance. So all the other vac ports are gone.

I kept the EGR but just because it seemed like a big hassel to remove and coudnt find a downside. Also the PCV still has a place to go.

The HAC/2nd Dist advance and Fuel cut are gone since there is no VAC line for them.

I've been happy with the Carb so far. Wonder how it will do in the winter?

Are you still trying to make the URE trip?

Dave

Hey guys, I am new to the game and currently shopping for my first 40. Digging through these forums I found a guy off of Lynnhaven Pkwy called "Landcruiser Josh." A buddy of mine and I (he is restoring 2 FJ's into 1) went and visited him and he is just starting on his engine work. The guy seems to absolutely know his stuff, but I cannot yet give you a first hand recommendation. I think once you chat with him you'll get a good feeling.

DIA Automotive (new location), Ask for Josh, 757-938-9995. Hope this helps a bit. I am sure I will be bugging the mess out of you guys once I get my first truck...

Hey guys, I am new to the game and currently shopping for my first 40. Digging through these forums I found a guy off of Lynnhaven Pkwy called "Landcruiser Josh." A buddy of mine and I (he is restoring 2 FJ's into 1) went and visited him and he is just starting on his engine work. The guy seems to absolutely know his stuff, but I cannot yet give you a first hand recommendation. I think once you chat with him you'll get a good feeling.

DIA Automotive (new location), Ask for Josh, 757-938-9995. Hope this helps a bit. I am sure I will be bugging the mess out of you guys once I get my first truck...

Thanks man I am calling him now.

I dont think so.

I did my desmog at the same time I got the troll hole carb.
There is only 1 vac port on it for the distrib advance. So all the other vac ports are gone.

I kept the EGR but just because it seemed like a big hassel to remove and coudnt find a downside. Also the PCV still has a place to go.

The HAC/2nd Dist advance and Fuel cut are gone since there is no VAC line for them.

I've been happy with the Carb so far. Wonder how it will do in the winter?

Are you still trying to make the URE trip?

Dave

Yea Dave, If I get her running soon and strong I wanna go and do the easy trails for fun. The VAC lines not used/needed I will just cap them. Wish me luck and I will keep you all informed.

Japanese Auto Masters on London Bridge Road near Oceana has some good experience with LCs. They have done a bunch on our 90 FJ62 and I've seen plenty others when I have been there. That said, it is cheaper if you can do it but when it's time for help....that's my mode of operation.

Ok went over to DIA and saw Josh. Got my ALT charging properly, trollhole carb to idle, and completed the desmog! Way to go Josh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom