best mpg Land Cruisers? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've seen Cruisers claiming anywhere from 20-35 mpg. I'm curious what models/engines get the best mileage. Specifically interested in mid 80s models that would be available rhd and possibly automatic.

Thanks

Well i've got an HDJ-81 4.2ltd and have done a few long distance trips and the best i got on a 90 liter tank was 962km before i chickened out i believe it filled at 87liters. Average speed was 100-105kph and very little hills, i have an OME 2.5" lift and 285/75/16's which i added 10lbs more in, ARB bumper,snorkel,power rod and loaded up my friend said he never gets that so i was happy.

what terrain are you driving in?
what speed do you drive?
what distance for the average drive?

these questions are relevant to which engine in which truck will be best for fuel economy ...

Well i've got an HDJ-81 4.2ltd and have done a few long distance trips and the best i got on a 90 liter tank was 962km before i chickened out i believe it filled at 87liters. Average speed was 100-105kph and very little hills, i have an OME 2.5" lift and 285/75/16's which i added 10lbs more in, ARB bumper,snorkel,power rod and loaded up my friend said he never gets that so i was happy.

962 km on one tank of fuel?

It would be great if you could replicate that again, I think you must have made some kind of calculation error.

I'd say it might be true, I have gotten around 10l/100km with slowish driving. Sub 2400 rpm makes a huge difference. I have read that a manual 1HD-T 80 can get 30-35 MPG (imperial) if driven @ 60km/h! WOW I wish I could test that.

It would be great if you could replicate that again, I think you must have made some kind of calculation error.

yes one tank rpms were around 2100-2200 no stopping aside for a bathroom stop front hubs unlocked. Here's my "calculation" FILL TANK/RESET SPEEDO/FILL TANK. I've gotten 10l/100k multiple times but thats as far as ive gotten. City driving i usually get 630 then fuel light goes on. I dont drive like an ass so that plays a big part.

I dont drive like an ass so that plays a big part.

You've seen Jeff drive too? :D

Seriously, I think your speedometer is probably out. The best way to accurately measure it, is to use a GPS to monitor the distance and fill up at the same pump.

There are lots of factor at play other than driving like an ass. ;)

On my 87 HJ60 2H 5 sp. , steady hwy driving at 105km/h with 31/10.5/15 tires RPM's at 2200 gets 12L/100km (20mpg). Mixed city/hwy driving when I'm impatient and drive with a heavy foot, it drops to 14L/100km (17mpg).

My 93 HDJ80 1HD-T auto, gets 12L/100km (20mpg) on mixed city/hwy driving. I haven't had it that long so I haven't tested longer trips, but I'm hoping I can get 10L/100km (23mpg) like WAF450 does!

Well i've got an HDJ-81 4.2ltd and have done a few long distance trips and the best i got on a 90 liter tank
You got a 95 l tank:cheers:.

LandCrusher80

Perhaps my speedo is off i dont know i have stock gears and 285's. My comment about driving like an ass wasn't directed to anyone, i just dont mash the pedal everywhere. My gf actually makes fun of how slow i drive and calls me Cpt. Slow. I'm just reporting what my speedo reads. Obviously the fuel is different as i fill up in Winnipeg and drive out west. So how much would the speedo be off?, ive cruised beside friends on the highway on 2-ways to check the difference between the vehicles and we were having the same speed. The other vehicle was a Cadillac SRX. I dont think there would be a huge difference if any. Maybe ill buy a gps to check thanks for the advice. ill keep my mileage stats to myself in the future... lol I'm still a noob to the 80's and am trying to learn about them all the time ie as i thought i had a 90l tank, but stand corrected by LandCrusher80.

Last edited:
I do drive like an ass, just not as much of an ass as I used to be as a 20 year old ass :)

That is just a phenomenal amount of mileage though, granted my vehicle is not stock, but even 'cruisin for hours on end driving the flatlands of California (between Sacremento and LA), at 65 mph, I was still only getting 550 km per tank. Roof rack full of crap, lots of custom steel work, and 315's on stock gears.

Last edited:
my 13bt bj74 gets 700kms from 65 liters commuting city/highway every tank - nothing seems to affect the mileage provided the speed is at or under 100kmph on the highway.

You might be right but owning a 1HD-FTE i have to doubt your claim. 800-850 MAYBE if you never go over 95 kph. But 950! you must of added some fuel additive or something or bad math...

I got over 600 km before I filled (no light) heading North out of Moab- 295 at's and a 3.5 lift auto at 105 kmh. Through WA at 125 kmh things were a little worse.... Thought that was pretty good compared to the usual #s.

I use an an diesel conditioner every tank, i dont have an 1HD-FTE engine though. This is my last post on this thread. :bang:

Have a 81 BJ 42.
My fuel consumption is 9.1 L per 100Km or 25.8 MPG , US gallon.
This is for combined driving, both city and highway. Logged 6000Km since buying it.
I keep track of fuel consumption and all expenses with a log book on all of my vehicles.
When it comes time to sell the vehicle having a log book makes it much easier for resale.

12 MPG, F155
14 MPG, 2F.

One time, on a downhill with tail winds, the 2F got 18.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom