"rattling" steering wheel (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bluecruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
My steering wheel rattles. When I am parked with the wheel straight, I can move the wheel side to side, in the "slack", where the wheels do not turn and there is a rattle from inside the steering wheel (or where it connects?).

If I am turning or have the wheel outside of the "slack" area, there is no noise. It seems that the slight "slack" or play makes a noise....any ideas on how to get into steering wheel and check what it could be?

Thanks

no ideas? Any ideas on how to look at the inner workings of the steering wheel?

Thanks

mine has a little slack when off and on flat ground. I think it's normal, a little play gathering at all the linkages. I could be wrong though. Driving it's fine. I don't have a rattle, but I can make it "knock" when I wiggle it quickly back and forth (no homo)

mine has a little slack when off and on flat ground. I think it's normal, a little play gathering at all the linkages. I could be wrong though. Driving it's fine. I don't have a rattle, but I can make it "knock" when I wiggle it quickly back and forth (no homo)

the little bit of play is fine with me....the rattling type noise is kind of annoying. it will rattle slightly on rougher asphalt, speed bumps, etc.

I just think something in there could be adjusted...

thanks

bluecruiser said:
the little bit of play is fine with me....the rattling type noise is kind of annoying. it will rattle slightly on rougher asphalt, speed bumps, etc.

I just think something in there could be adjusted...

thanks

Creepy. Coming down the street with a fresh patch job it was some nice :.:.:.: style bumps. My wheel does it too. Just starte I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Here are basic instructions on removing the steering wheel and air bag.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/metric-tlc/424505-new-100-series-steering-wheels-1998-up.html

There are other threads with alot more detail on the steering wheels. It might be a good idea to pull it and check things out or take the steering column apart. I'm sure Moab gave the steering quite a work out. Your 100 looks great BTW!

thanks for the info and the compliment...it has been rattling for awhile...it is just really starting to annoy me....

steering noise

Before you pull the steering wheel, check the column joint. there is a ujoint and a rubber damper joint. Hold the joint with one hand and rock the wheel, see if that is where it's coming from.

Mine is a bit loose and more noticeable after Moab and the 2k+ mile trip. I just ordered a replacement, as well as an extra to keep on the shelf.

Last edited:
steering noise

Before you pull the steering wheel, check the column joint. there is a ujoint and a rubber damper joint. Hold the joint with one hand and rock the wheel, see if that is where it's coming from.

Mine is a bit loose and more noticeable after Moab and the 2k+ mile trip. I just ordered a replacement, as well as an extra to keep on the shelf.

@justdifferentials to replace that ujoint does the column need to come out or can the ujoint be replaced without removing column? I'm ok either way, just want to plan properly.

Mine goes crazy with a rattle when I'm in Colorado on those rocky sections. I think it's the joint in there. Wait a minute here! 80 series are supposed to rattle, aren't they?

steering noise

Any guides here on MUD to replacing the UJoint and "rubber damping joint"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom