GOBI Roof Rack - 1st For an 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Inukshuk

SILVER Star
Threads
I have had the first 80 Series GOBI Stealth Rack for about three weeks now. In those three weeks I have been to Steamboat and on the Cruise Moab pre-run. The rack has performed flawlessly. The hi-lift and shovel/axe mounts are bombproof – the whole thing is. Gobi also offers open triangles that slip through the expanded metal floor to provide flexible anchor points.

Attention to detail is great – Gobi spaces the expanded metal just a bit above the bars so that the powdercoat can get under and into the gap. There is a just the slightest of curve in the siderails at the front – to follow the roof contour. One piece welded and powdercoated. Four feet per side. On the 60 the outer clamp of the bracket (foot) is stainless to match the gutter’s chrome trim, but its black on the 80 to match the 80 gutter.

The rack is installed over the factory rack for now, but I plan to take the factory rack off soon. Fitted this way gives the option of leaving or removing the factory rack. I noticed no change in fuel economy (still lousy) and its quieter than just the factory rack.

Wires run front to back inside the tubes on each side. Cross bars are the diameter needed to directly attach Thule and Yakima accessories

Still coming are the optional removable section that will go above the sun roof, liftgate ladder, lights - front and back, and HAM and CB antennas. Production brackets will have the name “Gobi” laser cut as their other models.

Designed and built here in Denver, Colorado. Paul Badillo, is the owner of GOBI Racks (303-947-5623 /
paul@gobiracks.com www.gobiracks.com). There is an Mud thread on the 100 series and a few pictures below of Sean’s 60 with a the Gobi Ranger model (Ranger is taller than Stealth).

:cheers:

IMG_9811.jpg
IMG_9854_FB_FB.jpg
IMG_9935_FB_FB.jpg

Last edited:
and more pictures. Notice the slight curvature toward the front to follow the roofline.
IMG_9622_SM.jpg
IMG_9623_SM.jpg
IMG_9619_SM.jpg

Last edited:
Price range???...I like this....similar to the saftey devices rack on my Discovery

Looks cool, I would like it a lot better without the divider bars. So the entire rack would be flat. Or maybe just have those bars removable cause I do see a need for them sometimes.

I'm down for that, GB ?

It's not likely to fit in our garage anyway, but it is a nice rack. I really dig the lower profile...

What's the height of the top of the front tube above the roof?

Eventually, the garage door could go up 6" or so with not too much drama, so just admiring things right now.:cheers:

Great looking rack. I would definitely be interested in a price

Nice rack. I like the fact that the 80 is a slightly low profile than the 60 design.

Price?

Nice Lines! I think the crossbars would make it easily accept Yakima accessories, like a car top carrier or ski / snowboard mounts. Very nice!

I am not sure what their price will be but when I looked at getting one for my 4th gen 4Runner, they were well north of $1k. Normally around $1200 or $1300. They were running a deal one time where you would get the rear ladder for free.

How much is it & do they make it in aluminum? How would you compare to an ARB/iNTI/Hannibal?

Its best to call or e-mail GOBI for pricing. Their other racks seem to run about $1300 +/-. :) Then you add the ladder (coming soon for the 80) and accessory mounts, and lights, etc.

I don't know about AL, but they do make ones for Hummers in stainless. :eek:

I think the ARB is also a fine rack, have never seen an INTI in person but I'd let Alvaro climb up on this rack (maybe not using the liftgate ladder.....). I don't think I have ever seen a Hannibal in person. I once borrowed a confer and installed it with four brackets. Those brackets are what caused the permanent bends in my gutters after I popped a bead crossing the Fremont River outside Hanksville, UT, on the 2007 Outlaws Run and part of why I pushed for 4 feet instead of three.

Looks cool, I would like it a lot better without the divider bars. So the entire rack would be flat. Or maybe just have those bars removable cause I do see a need for them sometimes.

I think they are able to customize to a certain extent - after all they are welded up right here in Denver. Gobi has a pretty substantial facility but I did not get to see it all. I suspect the crossbars are mostly for the ability to use Thule / Yak accessories but they certainly also add strength.

It's not likely to fit in our garage anyway, but it is a nice rack. I really dig the lower profile...

What's the height of the top of the front tube above the roof?

On my rig the front top tube is directly above the front sunroof seal and measures 7.25 from roof to top of bar. With the factory rack removed you could do a slightly shorter bracket, but not by much. There is already only about 3/4 inch from bottom of rack crosstubes to top of factory rack roof strips, which themselves are about 3/4 inch tall, so I guess if you had no factory rack at all or removed it you might be able to eek out another inch or so in height reduction with shorter mounting brackets

Will this rack also work with a RTT??? If so, this looks great.

I don't have one, but from seeing many RTT's on other rigs I would feel confident that the RTT would clamp right to the crossbars. Its easily strong enough. But if its a rack dedicated to or just for a RTT mount then you don't need sides, for which the front runner and African outback racks make sense. Maybe GOB could customize so there are only partial sides? I like to throw stuff up there, from cargo boxes to firewood, and I have been eying those rooftop cargo bags, so for me I like having a side to load against and the tubes allow for many places to throw a ratchet strap.

Nice rack. I like the fact that the 80 is a slightly low profile than the 60 design.

Gobi makes two models: Ranger (tall) and Stealh (low) with only difference being eight of sides. For the 80 the Stealth was a no brainer. Sean has the Ranger on his white 60 (pictured above in Moab last week on the CM prerun)

Nice Lines! I think the crossbars would make it easily accept Yakima accessories, like a car top carrier or ski / snowboard mounts. Very nice!

I don't have any but the GOBI website says. "2 welded in 1-1/8” cross bars for all your accessory needs. Compatible with Yakima and Thule accessories." The rig is so tall that I use a hitch mount for my bike and ski racks. The bars on my rack may be a bit too widely spaced, so if ordering and planning to use them, I'd check how wide apart they need to be..

Now I just have to get some lights and antennas up there and figure out wire routing. And while doing all that may as well get the Deka battery in, then s sub-fuse panel, then the dual setup.....

I'm loving the rack, except now almost all parking garages are off limits. I may at some point just put it on for trips, but for now I'm just leaving it on. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom