Technora? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone use TECHNORA synthetic winch line? If so, what are your feelings toward it? It's time to replace the Amsteel Blue and I've found a good deal on technora.

Thanks,
Justin

Technora is a heat resistant fiber, it will act a little differently then Amsteel Blue or other Sk75 Dyneema winch lines. We have seen technora ropes break down faster then Amsteel Blue, and have been told that when you put it through a block it wont have the same durability that Amsteel Blue does. There is a reason that you will see the larger companies, and even some of the smaller ones only offering Dyneema winch ropes and not Technora fibers. Over the 15 years that we have been selling ropes we have proven that Dyneema is the superior fiber for winching.

-Alex

Alex, thats interesting.

Most Technora ropes have the same coating on them their dyneema counterparts do. Samson also specifically states..

Works well around sheaves and winches

NER suggests a 16:1 sheave diameter. That isnt as good as an 8:1 suggestion for Dyneema.

Seems like each has a trade-off. Heat with Dyneema and using a block with technora. I dont have any first hand experience with Technora lines.... But side by side based on what Ive read, sounds like either would work fine as long as the user is aware of the limitations of each.

16:1 vs 8:1 is interesting, depending on the size of the swing block you are using you might be bending around a tighter corner then it was made for.

-Alex

Yeah, Ramsey Winch Co. uses Technora too. I'm sure Technora being more expensive effects decisions, also.

Here's a good comparison on winch rope fibers: LINK

Alex, thats interesting.

Most Technora ropes have the same coating on them their dyneema counterparts do. Samson also specifically states..

NER suggests a 16:1 sheave diameter. That isnt as good as an 8:1 suggestion for Dyneema.

Seems like each has a trade-off. Heat with Dyneema and using a block with technora. I dont have any first hand experience with Technora lines.... But side by side based on what Ive read, sounds like either would work fine as long as the user is aware of the limitations of each.

Hey I'm new on here but figured I'd chime in on Technora.

It is an Aramid, where as Dyneema is basically made of plastic.

Aramids are inferior to Dyneema in every way but one.

The biggest problem with them is they have s*** for UV resistance. For a winch line that may be exposed on the drum this is a real problem. Dyneema can be left in the straight sun, outside, for 2 years with only 20 percent breaking load loss. Technora or Kevlar would be a powdery mess in this time.

Kevlar is a lot weaker, and Technora also a good bit weaker than Dyneema for the same weight/diameter.

Considering Dyneema (Amsteel blue) is stronger, more UV resistant, etc all while being cheaper than Technora, I'm not sure of a compelling reason to chose an aramid fiber over UHMWPE.

Good luck in your choice though.

(Disclaimer: No affil with any rope company, I am a RF technician who just likes ropes :) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom