Completely stock FJ40 images (1968-1974) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm looking for a mostly unmodified 40, pre-1975, and struggling to recognizing what has or has not been modified. It's mostly the subtle changes like lights, reflectors, mirrors, that I'd like to understand.

Does anyone have any example sites/images of completely stock 40s?

For example looking at this add on CL: (ignoring for a minute the DP ;) )

1970 TOYOTA FJ40 LANDCRUISER

It suggests it's very original, although the front side lights don't look very original.

I'm not looking to pay or own a bone stock/show vehicle, it's more of a case of spotting the mods, and looking at those areas more closely to see how well they've been done.

Thanks.

fender lights-non stock
diamond plate- non stock
half doors like that-non stock
roll bar-non stock
the list go on and on

.......fender flares, bumpers, wheels, bikini top, steering wheel, rear seat, lift and shackles......you get where we're going? I could almost, almost call mine more stock than that.

There's a thread of 'pics of landcruisers back in the day'...lots of mostly stock rig pics.

also, try to get a hold of a Spector off Road catalog...good stock cruiser pics in there...at least the '09 one did.

Go into the forum's FAQ page and scroll down till you see "Paint Codes". The official color code thread has LOTS of pretty much stock FJ's on it.

Basically, your "target indicators" for a stock Cruiser are:

1. Gives you the impression that it's been lowered. It hasn't - it just a hasn't been lifted yet.

2. Gives the impression it's on four economy-sized spare tires. It isn't. Stock tires were about 29" IIRC. Gray steel wheels with chrome hubcaps were the most common, but there were some white wagon wheels that were stock in some markets.

3. Flat side rear fenders. Black flares are NOT stock.

4. Silver front bumper. Little bumperettes in the back

5. Swing out tire carrier that does nothing but hold a tire.

6. Metal doors with roll-up windows - even on the factory soft tops.

7. Diamond plate is a big warning sign - it's probably concealing a lot of iron oxide.

This has to be a joke. You could throw a dart with your eyes closed and hit a cruiser more original than that one!

This has to be a joke. You could throw a dart with your eyes closed and hit a cruiser more original than that one!

Well not so much a joke, but a somewhat of a leading question. I've read a lot of the FAQ on what to buy, what to look for, but found it hard to find 100% stock images. The answers here are good and I'll look into them. I did like the 'back in the day' thread as those are some great pictures/stories.

Apart from a 2k multi-coloured 73 in saratoga right now (1973 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser) it's hard to find anything on CL that hasn't been converted with a chevy or is original but priced out of my range (20k+).

Thanks again for the comments.

Have you gone and looked at that rig? Yeah, it's earlier than a '73, at least by the front end criteria, but could have a lot of potential.

Need to see some interior and engine pics.

Basically, your "target indicators" for a stock Cruiser are:

. . .

6. Metal doors with roll-up windows - even on the factory soft tops.

Nope. Factory soft top doors have a metal frame (painted same color as rest of the car) with canvas stretched over the frame, and sliding windows.
Apart from a 2k multi-coloured 73 in saratoga right now (1973 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser) it's hard to find anything on CL that hasn't been converted with a chevy or is original but priced out of my range (20k+).
That cruiser is probably more original than the one in the first ad.

Sorry if the person who owned that is on here - if so you are an idiot.

Barely stock, the shortened word is "Ad", not "add", if it is sold, delete it, no-one cares how long it took you to sell... Jackass.

End rant/
Jonny

well a picture for reference: FJ40 1970 japan model= mirrors on fender, right hand drive.. Non stock on this model= blue color instead of green....2 fog lights...roof rack..... Toyota emblem not correct.....but you can get the idea on a stock look
P1090717.jpg

When you find one just post up the pictures and you will find out soon enough what is stock and not stock for a particular year.
If the body is in good shape with little to no rust and without additional holes drilled in it then it won't be too hard to go back to stock for a particular year.
30+ year old veh. for the most part wont be 'stock'. Heck my 04 Tacoma is no longer "stock". Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom