worn engine mounts. symptoms??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced the PS pump about a month ago. the engine mounts are definitely starting to break down and look kind of rotten from the PS fluid. I am experiencing a low pitched, intermittent 'hum' or groaning noise from the motor when at idle, otherwise the engine runs fine (the groan from the PS pump is gone after the new pump). The main crank pulley appears to have a small bit of wobble, but the two other pulleys attached at the same point do not wobble. Plenty of oil pressure, water pump is pumping plenty of water, not sure about the smog pump (it was super caked with crud when I did the PS pump)
Probably just being paranoid... Any ideas? would worn mounts lead to slight angle changes and weird noises? Harmonic balancer out of whack? Also, I can hear the bearings in the transmission when the clutch is out and in neutral. Thanks in advance for any ideas. I'm hoping to fix problems that could get worse down the road.

If I get a warm enough day and some time I plan on swapping the transmission oil and differential oil. Also need to do oil change, valve adjust, timing, and carb adjust. The thing is a bit of a dog in the hills with 3.7's and 31" tires, and gets 11mpg. Plenty of climbing power in 4lo off road.

Use a jack and lift the engine. The mounts will separate if they are bad. Should not be any noise caused by them at idle. Its under power that they will allow the fan to hit the shroud and make a grinding noise.

Your bearing noise out of the tranny is the pilot bearing or throw out bearing.....it'll go for several 1,000 miles still. But you'll still need to fix it soon enough.
Do what REKCUT says about checking youe engine mounts.

"Driverside is the left side of the vehicle while seated inside the vehicle."

Well thanks for helping me sort that one out...

thanks other Mudders for the advice.

LOL

This is an international forum with a bunch or right hand drive vehicle owners from around the world coming here for information.

"Driverside is the left side of the vehicle while seated inside the vehicle."

Well thanks for helping me sort that one out...

thanks other Mudders for the advice.

Replace all the mounts. If one is torn, the others have been stressed. I just finished replacing them all on my 80 series. I did 1 a month but wished I would have replaced them all at once. LOL

:cheers:

best way to check engine mounts... put in 4low and give it full blast gas, if they are bad the fan will hit the shroud.

p/s leaks take there toll on the air pump/smog pump that could be your noise.
symptoms of motor mounts going bad are after taking off from a stop or hard shifts you will get a thud noise when the engine lifts than sets back down on the mount, or the bell housing hits the fire wall, or the rad, fan hits the shroud or hits the radiator

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom