Early 2 barrel big window F carburetor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40Jim

The Cruiser Whisperer
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tlcperformance.com
Greetings old toyota enthusiasts. Attached are pics of an interesting carburetor I've never seen before. It is an Aisan DD40/40. Double barrel Downdraft, twin 40MM throttles (bigger than the biggest 2F carbs) Build date is 5H1= 1965 Aug 1.

It appears to be designed to be backward compatible w/ the 1964 SD40 beside it. The height, fuel line entry, hand throttle, choke cable, throttle pushrod all have same attachment points.

The 70-72 DD38/38 carb is completely different in those respect. But the 65 and 70 carbs are the same height, neck diameter, mounting base are also the same. The 40/40 could be used in an installation that still used the early gas pedal w/ bellcrank on the side of the block, but with the 1967-later 12-port cyl head and 2-bbl manifold.

So, is this a FJ carb, or only used on FA? If it is an FA carb, how did it wind up in an antique junk store in Arkansas?

Discuss :cheers:
DSC07179.jpg
DSC07193.jpg
DSC07185.jpg

It's hard to say how it got there but I do know there are a few two barrel F135 intakes floating around the US. When you get it rebuild and ready to sell drop me a PM;) With this a my early header I could be driving 85 MPH all day long:rolleyes:

Also have a interesting 76 that could use a carb rebuild

could have been part of that transition year and instead of plopping the one barrell on the adapter plate they had the whole carb?

could have been part of that transition year and instead of plopping the one barrell on the adapter plate they had the whole carb?

Too early for that. The F145 had the two barrel intake with the one barrel carburator. Almost half the production run in the US had the one barrel carburator From the beginning of the 68 model 9/67 until 3/69. Makes me think other markets were getting two barrel carburators sooner than we did. Maybe even getting it earlier than 68 somewhere. Plus I thinking a few made it here. Like I said I seen them listed in SOR and ebay before. Probably should take a close look at my 65 FJ40 microfiche. Find more interesting stuff in the old microfishe that covered both LHD and RHD models. I know the 65 shows a amber/red tail light for Australia market.

Thats just beyond COOL ! I have a two barrel F135 intake and header for my 135. and the fact you found it at a antique junk store in Arkansas Good eye Thanks for sharing

Uberkool

stout carb?

:hmm:Doubtful. Stout were using a predecessor to the 32/36 that was on Cruiser 3/69-9/69.

It's a big carb, 400+CFM.

I've never seen the 2bbl manifold for the siamese head. If somebody has one of those manifolds, then this carb would be a bolt on HP upgrade for early F. Just need the bigger 70-74 aircleaner to make it complete.

If somebody wants it, I'll build it for them. The cad plating is in surprisingly good condition. The throttles are rusted stuck, but that's a simple mechanical fix. Some of the parts can come from the similar 1-bbl kit. Other gaskets can be custom cut. Send an EM if interested. Rebuild pics can be posted here in the oldies forum for posterity.

Too early for that. The F145 had the two barrel intake with the one barrel carburator. Almost half the production run in the US had the one barrel carburator From the beginning of the 68 model 9/67 until 3/69. Makes me think other markets were getting two barrel carburators sooner than we did. Maybe even getting it earlier than 68 somewhere.
Yes, I think what happened was Toyota wasn't able to keep pace w/ the new clean air act of 1967. The emissions engineers got the revised SD40 w/ ICS figured out, but then powertrain developed the 12 port head and 2bbl carb. The 2BBl wasn't easily modded to pass the new emissions, so they fudged together the 1bbl adapter to get them by for a couple years. Then somebody realized that the 1969 Crown 6cyl 32/36 carb was USA emissions legal, and it fit the F 2bbl manifold, so we got that emissions system for 6mos. Finally the "new" aisan 38/38 was available and emissions legal for the MY1970.

At least, that's my edumacated guess, based on perusing engines and parts catalogs...:meh:

Yes, I think what happened was Toyota wasn't able to keep pace w/ the new clean air act of 1967. The emissions engineers got the revised SD40 w/ ICS figured out, but then powertrain developed the 12 port head and 2bbl carb. The 2BBl wasn't easily modded to pass the new emissions, so they fudged together the 1bbl adapter to get them by for a couple years. Then somebody realized that the 1969 Crown 6cyl 32/36 carb was USA emissions legal, and it fit the F 2bbl manifold, so we got that emissions system for 6mos. Finally the "new" aisan 38/38 was available and emissions legal for the MY1970.

At least, that's my edumacated guess, based on perusing engines and parts catalogs...:meh:

That sounds about right. Curious did the rest of the world get a 2 barrel years ahead of the US. I know a automatic transmssion was available in other markets years before. Plus all the other things we never. The US is a great place to live but as far as Land Cruisers we certainly weren't at the top of Toyota's list.

I don't have a two barrel intake so I guess I'm out unless Rob wants to sell his. Two barrel air cleaners I have.

Carb is being built for 67AZCruizr. Will post updates when it's actually cracked open in a couple weeks.

Dunno for sure if non-US cruisers got this 2-bbl. A 1968 F service manual shows both the 1bbl SD40 and this 2bbl DD40/40, but specifically describes 1bbl as "Carb, FJ" and 2bbl as "Carb, FA".
We're gonna make it fit on a cruiser now, even if Toyota never did.:cool:

Did that intake come from my ebay garage build blast? I sat on one of those for a long time.

Greetings old toyota enthusiasts. Attached are pics of an interesting carburetor I've never seen before. It is an Aisan DD40/40. Double barrel Downdraft, twin 40MM throttles (bigger than the biggest 2F carbs) Build date is 5H1= 1965 Aug 1.

It appears to be designed to be backward compatible w/ the 1964 SD40 beside it. The height, fuel line entry, hand throttle, choke cable, throttle pushrod all have same attachment points.

The 70-72 DD38/38 carb is completely different in those respect. But the 65 and 70 carbs are the same height, neck diameter, mounting base are also the same. The 40/40 could be used in an installation that still used the early gas pedal w/ bellcrank on the side of the block, but with the 1967-later 12-port cyl head and 2-bbl manifold.

So, is this a FJ carb, or only used on FA? If it is an FA carb, how did it wind up in an antique junk store in Arkansas?

Discuss :cheers:

Is this the FA of which you speak? It seems like it is, I had to do a little searching, I had never heard of it before...
https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj25-owners-group/49385-toyota-fa-truck.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom