I Want Washer Fluid that Won't Freeze! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

supercarrera

I Like LEDs
Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
But I live in a temperate climate and they don't sell it anywhere around here. I bought some a couple years ago at a gas station in Tahoe but don't feel like waiting until I get up there again. Can I just make some using conventional fluid and adding antifreeze or isopropyl alcohol?

Check Wal-Mart out. They have washer fluid that can handle -30 deg. F. They have higher methanol content.

I waited too long this fall and the minivan fluid froze up with the summer bug guard crap in there. What a pain. When it froze, the tube actually popped off under the hood where it mounts to the wiper arm. Once it thawed out, I must have wasted a gallon before I figured that one out. :eek:

I like the stuff that has the Rain=x in it. Never froze for me but I dont live way up north.

When I worked on aircraft in the Navy, we used isopropyl alcohol. you could use that, but probably would be a good idea to dilute it a bit with water.

Rain-x Orange. Haven't froze it at -25F. You can add yellow heat (methanol) to your reservoir if you need to improve what's in there.

Rain-X in Maine. No freeze yet.

Rain X in IN 10deg this morning no freeze and my cruiser loves the cold, I haven't had any trouble in the single digits to low double digits at all for the last 2 weeks.

I hate to say it but my new Disco2 came with the sub-zero fluid back in the day. Dare I put LR washer fluid in the LC? Beside making my headlamps stop working at night will it make my LR cupholder no longer function as well?

I hate to say it but my new Disco2 came with the sub-zero fluid back in the day. Dare I put LR washer fluid in the LC? Beside making my headlamps stop working at night will it make my LR cupholder no longer function as well?

It will wreak havoc on your electrical system. :grinpimp:

I buy bulk Methanol in 5 Gallon containers and mix with 51% distilled water. It would likely never freeze.

Use with my 80, but primarily do this for my Audi which has a Water/Meth injection system which uses the same container for the windshield wipers and chemical cooling of the Supercharger. The 80 does not have any detonation issues so far, so no W/M...just homebrew wiper fluid. ;)

:cheers:

Steve

I buy bulk Methanol in 5 Gallon containers and mix with 51% distilled water. It would likely never freeze.

Use with my 80, but primarily do this for my Audi which has a Water/Meth injection system which uses the same container for the windshield wipers and chemical cooling of the Supercharger. The 80 does not have any detonation issues so far, so no W/M...just homebrew wiper fluid. ;)

:cheers:

Steve

Yep. I have a 50 gal barrel of methanol from running it in my supercharged 80. I mix it 1/3 with water. I've never had it freeze on me and it gets cold here on the eastern side of the Sierra's. It's also a lot cheaper in the long run compared to buying the stuff already premixed and your getting a higher percentage of methanol.

My winter junk froze last night lol. -40 my ass.

D

Rain X in IN 10deg this morning no freeze and my cruiser loves the cold, I haven't had any trouble in the single digits to low double digits at all for the last 2 weeks.

+1

I've gotten the orange Rain-X stuff at the local AutoZone for the last couple years, and I swear I've seen it at the Shucks/Crager/O'reilly stores too.

It's decent stuff, seems like wiper blades last a little longer using it too - plus the water beads up & bugs don't stick as hard in the Summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom