GOBI Roof Rack -1st off the line! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to share with you some photos of my new roof rack designed and built by GOBI. Paul Badillo, the owner, is great to work with and builds a very high quality product. While not totally complete yet, he got this new prototype built for my 100 series, in time for me to take it on a 2,800 mile road trip from Denver, through UT, NV, CA, AZ, NM and back with my kids last week. Yet to be added is the removable 3rd section that will go above the sun roof, so I can load it up for camping trips, or keep it off when I am just driving around town, as well a ladder, and 2 more low profile lights for the front and two in the back.

Paul Badillo, oGOBI Racks can be reached at 303-947-5623 or emailed at paul@gobiracks.com, www.gobiracks.com
Camping with Kids 054.jpg
Camping with Kids 056.jpg
Camping with Kids 102.jpg

Last edited:
That is very nice! I really like the profile and the ability to swap in and out the section over the sun-roof!

Very nice! Any ideas on the weight capacity? (I know, I know - 2 kids at approx. 65 lbs each...)

Jonathan

Looks great.

Very nice! Certainly unique - I live right by Littleton Hospital and shop at Whole Foods at Southglen alot. If I see you running around in Centennial I'll shoot you a wave!

Retail Cost is about $1200 for the rack, the PIAA lights were extra and all in the lights alone will be about $780 installed by Paul. The wind noise with the sun roof closed is nil, but there's a small bit of noise when the sun roof is open at 55 mph, not bad at 35 to 40 mph.

There''s also a couple of attachments I am going to pick up for a high lift jack and shovel mounts, as well as a quick/adjustable triangle pieces for tie downs on the rack. The rack is rated at 600 pounds, but Paul warned of hauling more than 300 due to the tip factor at high speeds with that much weight up there. I threw my camping table, 4 chairs, firewood and a 5 gallon water jug up there, which is not a lot of weight all in, but it stacked and racked well, and traveled beautifully!

The other thing I forgot to mention is that Paul uses stainless steel tubes, that are the same size as Yakima's so any "toy" attachments can be easily made, like bikes, skis, kayaks, etc.

Very nice! Certainly unique - I live right by Littleton Hospital and shop at Whole Foods at Southglen alot. If I see you running around in Centennial I'll shoot you a wave!

More like shoot you a ticket. Or just shoot you. :)

Retail Cost is about $1200 for the rack, the PIAA lights were extra and all in the lights alone will be about $780 installed by Paul.

That looks like a fantastic rack! I know these things aren't cheap, but $1200 is a lot! Was the $780 a typo? I have to say, that's the best looking rack I've seen yet.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that Paul uses stainless steel tubes, that are the same size as Yakima's so any "toy" attachments can be easily made, like bikes, skis, kayaks, etc.

The whole thing is stainless? That would justify the price.

How high is the tallest point on the rack for garage parking purposes?

Do you have a lift or taller than stock tires?

This is freaking awesome to see!!! After looking at all the rack options out there, Gobi has always been my favorite option out there. I always hated that they didnt have an option for the hundy's. I had pretty much settled on trying to find a local guy to make something similar just so I could get one. Now... looks like another thing I need to save for!!!!!!

how are you running the wire for the lights? better pics by chance???

Very nice. Designed much like their FJC rack. Everything I have seen or heard about the Gobi's were positive in terms of build quality

At the highest point on my vehicle with the new rack is 6' 4" off the ground. I just have standard/stock tires and no lift on my crusier for now.

The wiring for the lights to be installed on the rear of the rack, run thru the tubes to the front. Then there are two wire harnesses that run down each rain gutter along the windshield into the hood to the battery. I have them hooked up to my second battery I had installed in August, that also powers my fridge. I will try to get some pics later today or over the weekend for you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom