Hand crank start? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I still am in the honeymoon phase of owning my fj60 and have lots if questions. I noticed in the front it looks like there is a slot in the bumber to slide a handcrank through it and hook it up to the crank. Is that for starting it or for just bringing the engine to tdc?

IIRC.........On USA spec FJ-60's it can't be used, as the radiator is in the way.

Zack

It's for a PTO (Power Take Off) Winch. Do a search and see.

It's for a PTO (Power Take Off) Winch. Do a search and see.

It's certainly not for a winch. The slot in the bumper is only maybe an inch across and when I look down it I see the engine crank, not the tranny or tcase

I don't know why Toyota put it there, but having driven old vehicles that had the hand-crank provision that is exactly what that slot in the valence panel looks like. For it to be a PTO opening the shaft size to fit would be too puny to be of much use and I would expect it to be a hole rather than a slot. The reason for the slot is to clear the cross-pin in the end of the hand-crank. I don't recall my 2F having the necessary lugs on the crank bolt, and it certainly didn't have the clearance hole in the radiator, but that doesn't mean that other markets couldn't have received those. If it is for a PTO winch, how did it reverse?

I don't know why Toyota put it there, but having driven old vehicles that had the hand-crank provision that is exactly what that slot in the valence panel looks like. For it to be a PTO opening the shaft size to fit would be too puny to be of much use and I would expect it to be a hole rather than a slot. The reason for the slot is to clear the cross-pin in the end of the hand-crank. I don't recall my 2F having the necessary lugs on the crank bolt, and it certainly didn't have the clearance hole in the radiator, but that doesn't mean that other markets couldn't have received those. If it is for a PTO winch, how did it reverse?

Mine had the lugs on the pulley retaining nut and it was made in Aug. 1985. It was absolutely for manual manipulation of the crank. There are also ports on either side of the front crossmember for PTO shafts. I can't imagine wanting to try and hand start it, but for valve adjustment/tune up procedures it would be convenient.

It's for the hand crank. But all USA FJ60 have AC prep, so have the bigger (deeper) radiator that just drops down in front of the hole in the valance.

I've never started a 2F w/ the crank, but years ago we started our old F-powered FJ40s a few times w/ the crank, just for giggles. This is done by warming up the engine first (no way my skinny butt is gonna crank a cold engine to life), then using the timing adjust knob on the early dissy to fully retard timing, then energize ignition and crank the bar.

edit: I just watched the youtube link above. Yep, that is how it's done.

just as long as the engine doesn't backfire while cranking or you could seriously hurt yourself

The cog on the crankshaft is usually designed in a way that kicks the hand crank out of the cog if it backfires or starts up and turns faster than youre cranking by hand. Even with that, Ive heard of alot of broken thumbs and sprained wrists when using them.
I have a hand crank just like that on my 74 land rover:rolleyes:

So if the rad wasn't in the way one could hand crank it?

The cog on the crankshaft is usually designed in a way that kicks the hand crank out of the cog if it backfires or starts up and turns faster than youre cranking by hand. Even with that, Ive heard of alot of broken thumbs and sprained wrists when using them.

Yes, I recall the nut had a weird swirl shape.

you learn something new everyday

I know a guy who did some reporting for NPR in africa, and they hand-cranked 60 series cruisers as the "normal" way of starting. Batteries tended to be in poor condition I guess...

You making this up..........

I have used the handcrank to start my Pig many times. Sometimes for fun or to win a bet, sometimes because I needed to. 55s have that same front valance hole.
There is a certain technique, and grip (don't wrap your thumbs around the handle) and the handles will bend if you're not careful.
It is handy for adjusting valves too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom