Opinion on a fj60... too much rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
Ive been looking for a fj60/62 for a few months and a 87 just popped up on craigslist. Guy wants 1600 for it. I went down to look, lots of rust.. I was in work clothes so i couldnt do much inspecting. I did snap a few pics though.
Truck has around 215k. I drove it and the damn things runs and drives like a top.
Question is, is this thing worth trying to salvage?
I might head down after work when i can crawl around.
2010-05-12 12.32.24.jpg
2010-05-12 12.32.52.jpg
2010-05-12 12.33.07.jpg

I wouldn't pay $1600 but Im in Ca.
Too much rust for me...

I guess it depends on how much you care about rust. It's wayyyy to much rust to try and repair IMO, but if you plan on just driving the wheels off of it, who cares about the rust. The rear C-channel part of the frame is worth looking hard at. It has a tendency to rust out as well.

TK

If you want to part it out, I say go for it, but it is not worth $1600 as a drivable truck. YIKES.

Keep looking. Or, toss him $500 and see if he bites. Then, you'll have lots of spare parts for when you find the truck you'll actually drive.

Yup - if the frame is good and he'll take $500, ok - body can be fixed easy enough. Frame, a lot more work. At least at $500 you can always make your money back if you decide to part it out.

GL

Yeah im gonna pass on this one ...
Im down in TN, there are a few down here i want to look at, but most around this area seem to be beat to hell.

Thanks for the replies

My $0.02:

That is too much rust for me, and that is too much rust for $1600. The first problem with rust is that what you see is about a tenth of what you have. The second problem is that it is expensive and time-consuming to fix.

A while back, a friend told me that there was an old Cruiser sitting at the back of a lot near his house. I scoped it out. It looked a lot like what you have here. Some friends and I threw in together and bought it. It was a running truck, but it had too much rust to consider fixing. We parted it out. I took a bunch of interior parts, the engine went one way, the front axle went another, etc, etc, etc. We paid a lot less than what this guy is asking.

I'd say bargain hard. If he won't lower his price, keep looking.

Good luck.

If you're not in a hurry hold out until you find what you want and what is worth your time. You WILL be putting time into this cruiser at some point.

I got my rig (no rust to speak of) for $950 from the daughter of the man who purchased the vehicle from Toyota. It started right up and I drove it away. Be patient because cruiser pricing is all over the place!

at least you can see the rust. my rear quarters were bondo coated rust. i paid 2800 for mine 2 weeks ago. and it probably has more body rust but a much better frame. diesel tho. HJ60

Ever see the pictures of Sheila (HJ60), as I disassembled her? Horrid rust and massive bondo and fiberglass work. Aussie and I paid $8,500 (USD)!

Ever see the pictures of Sheila (HJ60), as I disassembled her? Horrid rust and massive bondo and fiberglass work. Aussie and I paid $8,500 (USD)!

no i havent i'll search for it.
really a aussie with bad rust ?
thats crazy$. but they are getting rare.
turbo ? RHD ?

no i havent i'll search for it.
really a aussie with bad rust ?
thats crazy$. but they are getting rare.
turbo ? RHD ?

I've heard that some of them get/got used as beach cruisers.

That probably would help accelerate the rust process...

There is a grey FJ62 for sale in Los Angeles right now. same amount of miles, 210K, but, a Southern California Car with no rust. I have not seen it, but, I saw a few iphone pics.. The paint is peeling off the hood. I believe it has a little crunch on the passenger side fender. I heard the TLC guys offered him $3K for it, so, you know it is a good one. He is looking for a little more than that. :popcorn:

Well against my better judgement i went ahead and picked it up. Guy selling it was in the process of moving to a new house over the weekend i was able to get him down to 700. I figure the engine and tranny are worth that much.
Drove it home in a thunderstorm and was amazed that ever switch, light and wiper worked on the thing. The interior is in wonderful shape, you would think your in a different truck till you step outside.
Took it through inspection this morning and it passed with no problems.
So for the next few days i will be seeing exactly how bad the undercarriage is so im sure ill have a lot more questions.
Wish me luck, im gonna need it :)

At $700, I'd say you did okay.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom