Drywall behind Sterling tub/shower enclosure? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally getting back to work on the basement, hung the bathroom ceiling last night and now I can't find directions for the Sterling tub/shower we installed last year. I have never installed these units, only a tile-in type tub.

I guess I don't need any drywall behind the enclosure panels?? Straight to the studs?

Can't get the installation instructions for this particular unit online, but I looked at some others and there is no drywall mentioned.

Here is the unit:Sterling Plumbing: Ensemble™, Tile Bath/Shower: Bathtub Showers: Baths & Showers

Thanks for your help!

Yep, tubs and shower enclosures are installed during the plumbing stage in new construction which is before the rock. Overlap your rock over the lips of the tubs or enclosure.

No rock,but we insulate behind and under to cut down on noise transfer. MIke

Hey guys thanks for the help, had a little brain lapse since the plumber set the tub but left the enclosure to me.

Tub is an inch away from the back wall but the sides are just right to be flush. I dunno...it will cover;)

Bodean - thanks for the link!

Hey guys thanks for the help, had a little brain lapse since the plumber set the tub but left the enclosure to me.

Tub is an inch away from the back wall but the sides are just right to be flush. I dunno...it will cover;)

Bodean - thanks for the link!

no problem, be sure to post pics when youre done :beer:

I found that before you install sheetrock you should rip strips of wood and nail them on the studs around the shower enclosure to keep the sheetrock nice and flat, the strips should be a tad thicker than the flange. it also helps when you put the baseboard around the wall the baseboard stays straight instead of being cocked over 5 or 10 degrees. Also when you put the sheetrock on apply waterproof caulk to the bottom of the rock it really helps in the long run.

I found that before you install sheetrock you should rip strips of wood and nail them on the studs around the shower enclosure to keep the sheetrock nice and flat, the strips should be a tad thicker than the flange. it also helps when you put the baseboard around the wall the baseboard stays straight instead of being cocked over 5 or 10 degrees. Also when you put the sheetrock on apply waterproof caulk to the bottom of the rock it really helps in the long run.

I stood up the shower walls last night to get an idea of how it fit and marked where I need some blocking and studied my 1" gap against the ICF wall.

Forgot to mark the valve and spout cutout - :doh:

I'll work on it again tonight and it should be good to go, I will probably go overboard on the use of silicone as well.

What about trim where the sheetrock meets the tub enclosure? Thinking about just using the plastic door trim I plan to use on the rest of the bathroom.

When installing shower or tub surrounds fire blocking is needed at the edge around the top 3/4" down.

When installing shower or tub surrounds fire blocking is needed at the edge around the top 3/4" down.

Good to know - I blocked the heck out of everything and drywalled for fire barrier against the ICF

Need to cut the shower valve in and it will be good to go

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom