Whats wrong with 16.5 inch rims? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bambino840

Jive Turkey
SILVER Star
Threads
I am looking for tires for my 85 bj-70. In the past I have always run swampers. I have found it is much easier to find 33x15 r 16.5 than the 15" rim I am used to. Is there something wrong with this rim. Is it rare? Does it air down well? Please help?

Dean:beer:

H 1 Hummer runs on 16,5 inch rims and tires . How common is that truck? In military surplus centers you will find these tires for next to nothing.

Isnt 16.5 an odd size ,unless all 16 are really 16.5 ?

In oz,16 is the new 15

16.5 is a size made by super swamper. I can get a brand new set for really good deal but I am hesitant due to the lack of other people not having them. What do you think?

I've heard the 16.5" wheels don't air down as well because a difference in the bead (angle). :meh:

I've heard the 16.5" wheels don't air down as well because a difference in the bead (angle). :meh:

I vaguely remember this to. So tempting but I will have to keep looking.:beer:

The do not have a bead seat lip in the rim and use air pressure only to hold the bead on.

They are NOT appropriate for off-roading as a result. Don't waste your time with 16.5s...

~John

arnt 16.5 bobcat tyres size

16.5 is almost obsolete... stay away from them they have a tapered bead that will cause you greif.. If you ever wreck one you will not be able to find one quick anywhere.
they were used back around 1970 on 3/4 ton trucks. after that split rims in 16 inch came out and then around 1975 or so we all got he regualar drop centre 16" wheel..

a mate of mine had two 33x12.5 16.5 tyres on his nissan patrol 16" rims one tyre shop put them on no probs the next tyre shop said it was dangerous as
i have a pic of the tyre on the rim on other computer

Here is a reference from a company who makes bead locks.

High Impact Beadlock Wheels or 16.5in Beadlocks?

16.5” wheels simply cannot be properly locked in the manner that works well on 15” and 17 Inch wheels. This is due to the design of the bead area. On 15” and 17” wheels, the bead pushes out onto a shaped surface. The tire has a soft lip that presses down on the inside diameter of the wheel. This inside diameter extends in about 1” on one side, and about 2.5” on the other side (The “large bell” of the wheel). This area, along with a raised area formed into it is called the “safety bead”. It helps keep the tire on the wheel even at lower tire pressures. That means that if we put a lock on the outside, the inside bead can still move in 2.5” (with the Large bell on the inside) before the bead will fully blow. Since most of the forces which unseat a bead are on the outside, it is practical to beadlock 15 and 17” wheels. On a 16.5, however, the design is such that if the bead is moved off the inside bead area at all, you will blow the bead. There is no “safety bead” area. It relies entirely on air pressure to keep the bead seated. I have seen companies that will beadlock a 16.5, but they are fooling themselves (or somebody). Unless they lock both the inside and the outside, it will blow the inside bead way too easy. It is also not usually practical to put a lock on the inside, as it will not clear the brakes or steering in most cases.

Jim

this is a factory 16' nissan pootrol rim with as you can see 16.5' tyre
01072008(001).jpg
01072008.jpg

this is a factory 16' nissan pootrol rim with as you can see 16.5' tyre

What year/model is that off?
I always thought they were the same as toyota

What year/model is that off?
I always thought they were the same as toyota

Not to sure of the year mate but there of gu utes not sure if the wagons got them or if wagons just got 16x8 alloys

a mate of mine had two 33x12.5 16.5 tyres on his nissan patrol 16" rims one tyre shop put them on no probs the next tyre shop said it was dangerous as
i have a pic of the tyre on the rim on other computer

DO NOT MOUNT 16.5" TIRES ON 16" RIMS
I cant believe any tire shop would do this. Many people have been killed trying. Check out what happens when it goes wrong
YouTube - Tire explodes

DO NOT MOUNT 16.5" TIRES ON 16" RIMS
I cant believe any tire shop would do this. Many people have been killed trying. Check out what happens when it goes wrong
YouTube - Tire explodes

yes the first tyre shop man did it proberly didnt even look at the size and the second tyre shop dude said it was dangerous as etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom