Cold Valve Clearances for a B engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched the fourums, but can't seem to find the numbers, though I'm sure i've seen them on here.

Anyone know the correct valve clearances for B engine when cold. I've got the hot numbers, but I'm having issues getting the beast going and think setting them correctly will help.

Thanks =)

Are these the hot values you have:

clearances.JPG

If so, take them to be "cold clearance values" too.

I have experimented and found there to be no difference (in practice) between hot and cold measurements on these engines.

Edit..(an hour or so later): I'm at work now .... and I've been thinking about this.
I have a feeling that there is a sticker on my valve cover that provides both hot and cold figures. I'll take a look and post the results tomorrow. (You've got me interested in what that sticker says now!)
clearances.JPG

Last edited:
For what its worth, I doubt cold vs hot clearances will mean the difference between starting and not starting.

The sticker says the same as above. As to the not starting, we found a huge air leak in the rail earlier, i'm guessing that's a more likely culprit.

when I ajust the valve cold I remove 0.001 in . When it's hot... normaly I check the clearence and it's all good.Maybe I need to adjust 1 or 2 valves max. don't forget that a B engine is really old and the clearence between cold and hot isn't that big for that kind of engine. You don't have computer or thinks like this and you have some clearence between the valve and piston.

from

pub. no. RM035E Mar., 1986
pg EM-60 & EM-22

B, 3B, 11B,13B, 13B-T Engine

or

pub. no. RM132E Aug., 1988
pg EM-48 & EM-21

B, 3B, 11B, 14B Engine

-------------------------------------------------------------------

cold

intake 0.25 mm ( 0.010 in )
exhaust 0.40 mm ( 0.016 in )

re-adjust when hot

intake 0.20 mm ( 0.008 in )
exhaust 0.36 mm ( 0.014 in )

here is one for you, did you know there were 2 completely different cams in the (1)B series engines?

from

pub. no. RM035E Mar., 1986
pg EM-60 & EM-22

B, 3B, 11B,13B, 13B-T Engine

or

pub. no. RM132E Aug., 1988
pg EM-48 & EM-21

B, 3B, 11B, 14B Engine

-------------------------------------------------------------------

cold

intake 0.25 mm ( 0.010 in )
exhaust 0.40 mm ( 0.016 in )

re-adjust when hot

intake 0.20 mm ( 0.008 in )
exhaust 0.36 mm ( 0.014 in )

Thanks! Very interesting to see the cold figures! (We can see that the differences are supposed to be significant!)

It is also interesting that most sources of information only list the "hot figures" though.

And as I've said - I've compared hot-clearances with cold-clearances in practice and found no discernable difference.

But then .... even when I take my cruiser for a good run first ... how "hot" is it really by the time I've removed the air filter hose, removed the valve cover, and got all my tools ready to measure clearances?

Personally, I think I'll ignore the cold figures and stick with the "hot" (on the basis that they are the "most published" and that in truth clearances are set when engines are neither hot nor cold but "warm").

here is one for you, did you know there were 2 completely different cams in the (1)B series engines?

Doesn't surprise me Wayne. The B engine was not restricted to 40-series landcruisers and it continued in production right through the period when 3B engines were being fitted to the 40-series (in the BJ42 model) and beyond. That engine just seemed to keep evolving. Which is why my "B/3B parts interchangeability" thread became such a non-sense once I really got into it. :lol:

At least the valve clearance figures don't seem to change (even if a different cam may be in use). This is from an August 1988 manual:

ServiceSpecs.JPG

And this is the "Foreword" describing the engines and vehicles covered by this spec:

foreword.JPG

:cheers:
foreword.JPG
ServiceSpecs.JPG

1980 B series engine repair manual. includes B/2B/3B
applicable modesl:
BU20/30 series
BB10 series
BJ40/42/43/45/46/60 series

In .20 mm (.008 in)
Ex .35 mm (.014 in)
(same as the 1988 reference)

Cam shaft journal diameter:
No. 1 - 47.16 - 47.18
No. 2 - 46.96 - 46.98
No. 3 - 46.76 - 46.78
(if you compare this to the 1988 book the journal are different.)

Cam height:
39.47 - 39.56 limit is 39.0

Ok guys I bought a t04 turbo kit to add to my 76 diesel cruiser with the b engine.there is no waste gate on this turbo kit and no bleed valve and I'm not sure if an intercooler is required.the engine is in great shape so I'm not scared to add the turbo kit but I need to know if a waste gate is required or bleed off valve.any help would be greatly appreciated.

when I ajust the valve cold I remove 0.001 in . When it's hot... normaly I check the clearence and it's all good.Maybe I need to adjust 1 or 2 valves max. don't forget that a B engine is really old and the clearence between cold and hot isn't that big for that kind of engine. You don't have computer or thinks like this and you have some clearence between the valve and piston.

I just did mine and I added about .005 in, didn't remove any. And turns out I was bang on. .25 and .40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom