Two story master suite addition cost? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am eyeing a house that would require a fair size addition to make it work for my family size. It's price is lowish and has a huge yard and a nice view, so I am thinking addition before I would move into it. I have not talked to the city yet about codes, etc, or to any contractors yet, but mud has never failed me soliciting for free advice yet.

What would be a rough cost estimate of a two story wing addition (master bedroom and master bath on bottom, extra bedroom and regular bath up top) to a small (1100 sqft) ranch house? I know there are lots of variables, finishes, and so on, but I was hoping someone on here had some experience with it. It would need a simple foundation poured, no basement or anything like that. The finishes I am guessing would be mid grade, not cheap, but it's not a luxury house either. I am thinking the addition footprint would be a 400-450 sqft, so it would add 800-900 sqft overall to the house size.

I may also have it bid out to do the shell and leave the interior to me, any idea on cost for this cheaper option?

Thanks-

Steve has the right way to approximate the costs.
Figure out about how big you want it, then figure out the square footage (LxW) , add top and bottom living space floors together, and times it by your local prices per square foot.

May want to check with town first and foremost. Some places have wacky codes.

another thing to consider is that given the lack of work right now it's usually cheaper to pay a trades guy to do the work then try and save and do it yourself even painting. You'll be amazed at how cheap these guys can get right now.....and always thoroughly check out your contractors especially licences and insurance.

Your construction costs per square ft are a good reference but it will greatly depend on how the first level is built. If the walls on the first level are 2x4, they may not meet the local code to have a second level added on top if it as well as the calculated "snow load" for your area added in. The first floor may need reinforced or stripped and 2/6 walls used.

My co-woker is closing escrow on a place in Parker. He said he and his wife seperately looked at about 80 places in three days before they found the one they wanted.

I live in Boulder CO so I am guessing the construction costs are high. That's a good idea to find someone underemployed who will let me do some of the work finishing. D'Animal-this is for a completely new addition on the side of the house, so we could design the new addition with joists that would be load bearing, I have heard that it's difficult to add on to the existing structure because of those problems you mentioned. I think this addition would fall within the setback codes for the area, it's a huge lot. Thanks everyone, keep the suggestions coming!

also, don't rule out the fact that if you're adding a second story to an adjacent one story house, you will need to take into account the drifting snow load that will now be required on the existing roof structure. It may be adequate, or it may need to be increased in load carrying capacity.

Boulder construction costs are expensive (as you well know based on house prices). Adding on to the side will eliminate most of the issues that I've encountered when doing the engineering on someone wanting to add on a second floor to an existing brick rancher.

I don't know if this is in the city or county, but if it has a septic, make sure the side you are adding on to won't affect the septic system....

also, don't rule out the fact that if you're adding a second story to an adjacent one story house, you will need to take into account the drifting snow load that will now be required on the existing roof structure. It may be adequate, or it may need to be increased in load carrying capacity.

Boulder construction costs are expensive (as you well know based on house prices). Adding on to the side will eliminate most of the issues that I've encountered when doing the engineering on someone wanting to add on a second floor to an existing brick rancher.

I don't know if this is in the city or county, but if it has a septic, make sure the side you are adding on to won't affect the septic system....

Great point!
If you have a field system , adding bedrooms will more than likely cause a red flag in the permit area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom