FJ40 Smog Pump Removal - How?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I think the smog pump is busy seizing up on my 2F. The fan belt sometimes starts screaching for short periods although it has enough tension.

This pump is not in use and the input is shorted to the output by a hose.

I would like to remove this pump but I also understand that it is needed as a pully to tension the belt from the crank to the fan.

What suitable pulley assembly can I replace the pump with and where should I try and find it (off which motor etc.)?

Thank you very much for all the great help in the past!

Kind regards
Bernt

When I removed my smog pump i just pulled everything off. The fan is run by the one belt for the alternator now... I don't know if you have p/s or a/c, that could change things. I have neither, so there was no real complications once the smog pump was gone. Hope that helps.

i pulled everything off my 73 2-f and pluged the intake smog holes as far a the belt goes i just have one running the water pump and alt.

Since you didn't say what year the 2F is, the ? is a little harder. Try being a little more specific next time.

If it's an 80 and older, you can just pull the pump and get a shorter belt to drive whatever else is on that groove of the balancer

If it's an 81 and newer, you'll prolly want to get one of those fab pulleys that Jim C. sells. Bolts up where the smog pump was PERFECTLY so there are no belt issues. ;)

Best

Mark

Hi all,

Ok ok, it is an 82. There are 2 belts. One drives the alternator and PS from the crank and the other drives the Fan and smog/air pump.
A shorter belt will not work because I need a tensioning mechanism.
A single belt will not work either (I think) as I cannot see how I would get to the Fan with it.

As mentioned, I need an idler pulley and I am still wondering if any oher 2F or maybe 3F motors had one that I could fit in place of he pump.

How about removing the insides of that pump and use only the shaft and pulley? Would that be possible?

Thanks for the tip for a pulley from Jim C. I will check out.
How do I find him?

Regards
Bernt

projektdotnet, I can't imagine that your '74 is still subject to the sniffer. If it's not just take that joker off, take off your air injection rail that goes into your intake manifold, get some plugs for the holes and call it a day.

Hi all,

How about removing the insides of that pump and use only the shaft and pulley? Would that be possible?

Thanks for the tip for a pulley from Jim C. I will check out.
How do I find him?

Regards
Bernt

Gutting the pump is one option, but if it is seizing up it may the bearings that are doing the seizing, and that won't help you much if you gut it. Could just be the vanes inside that are causing it, but really no parts are left to rebuild it, even as an idler.

An alternator from a 3F and maybe a 1F will bolt down there. May need the bracket for them, I'm not sure, but you could run a second alternator that way, if you are looking for a second battery and lots of juice.

Otherwise the pulley Mark mentioned is the easiest route.

Gutting the pump is one option, but if it is seizing up it may the bearings that are doing the seizing, and that won't help you much if you gut it. Could just be the vanes inside that are causing it, but really no parts are left to rebuild it, even as an idler.

An alternator from a 3F and maybe a 1F will bolt down there. May need the bracket for them, I'm not sure, but you could run a second alternator that way, if you are looking for a second battery and lots of juice.

Otherwise the pulley Mark mentioned is the easiest route.

Not so fast. ;)

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/156216-smog-pump-rebuild-bearings.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/204096-smog-pump-rebuild.html

Ah yes, but did we ever determine if the parts were out there to fix the newer pumps. Perhaps they are, I can't remember, but I thought the front bearing ended up being proprietary to Toyota, perhaps I'm wrong.

How has yours held up Marshall? Do you have to test? I can't remember if you put it back on in a bright color of somesort :)

Original poster, if you have the skills anything is possible, I guess tear it down and see what you can do.

No tests. But still works fine. Ended up getting a block of Resin impregnated graphite and cutting blocks on the band saw for the vane seals. Bearings I think will last longer than the cruiser. I would think if you were just using it for an idler pulley and capped off the tubes, and removed the vanes and replace the two bearings it would last a really long time

What did you use to plug the smog holes? I can't find a plug that fits.

Jim C. (FJ40Jim) sells them cheap, and also a complete kit with all the various plugs needed for a complete de-smog. Some people just use pipe plugs.

Last edited:
An alternator from a 3F and maybe a 1F will bolt down there. May need the bracket for them, I'm not sure

I'm sure. The mounting bracket under the motor mount on the frame is different in my 84.

I put the alternator up high and put in a smog pump as a tensionier and will be ordering the JimC pulley (or fabbing my own) when the smog pump starts to go.

the second alternator is a good idea, too.

You may find if you open up your pump that there are bits of what were the guts inside that are knocking around in there and binding up your pump. If that's the case, then you could just dump out the shards and finish gutting it out. The bearing may not be that bad off and you might be able to use it as a tensioner till you can rebuild yours- or just leave it, if you're going to desmog. Trollholes thread is a great place to get a better idea of what to expect, and it seems that I, too, must visit that site again. NICE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom