Need Help with 14 Bolt Carrier ID (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please see picture #2 - is this a open/4 cross pin carrier - or a Gov Lok (2 cross pin) carrier???

Have been on the hunt for a 14 bolt and found one advertised as a new crate axle with disc brakes, 4.56 and a Detroit. Seller isn't 100% sure if it's a Detroit or a Gov Lok. I've found most folks don't know - and oftentimes call a Gov Lok a Detroit.

In the pictures sent I can't tell if this is a 3 or 4 pin carrier - any other tell tale factors that might enable someone to id this as a stock carrier, hence if locked - would be a Detroit - or is it a Gov Lok carrier???

If it's a Detroit - it's a fair deal. If not, I could rebuild one myself for the same price.

Would it be ok to run the Gov Lok until it failed??? 39" Red Labels - geared around 120:1, SOA, etc.
14 Bolt Carrier 1.jpg
14 Bolt Carrier 2.jpg

Locking at the picture blown up - counting 3 carrier bolts up I can see what appears to be the rounded top of the next opening for the carrier pin - which leds me to think that with 12 bolts this would be a 4 pin open (which can hold the Detroit). Anybody?

Aw shucks - bought it anyways. 99% certain it is an open carrier = good.

Anybody???

dorry I missed this amigo..

It's a open carrier
Gov lock has a LOT more parts visible.

dorry I missed this amigo..

It's a open carrier
Gov lock has a LOT more parts visible.

No worries - thanks for confirmation - was 99% certain - just didn't want a Gov Lock carrier.

Halfway there - now to pick it up, shorten it, shave it and figure out the hub mods (machine show labor cost versus a set of conversion hubs). :D

Ruff stuff is a great option. Wish he had those when I sold my TR's for a set of Hummer rims..
:mad:

Get mace to come over and weld the link attachments on it.....

More pics please-top of case, hubs/discs

What do you mean by a new crate axle? It's strangely rusty for a new axle.

Does it have factory discs? If so, what did it come from?

Get mace to come over and weld the link attachments on it.....

Do we need to go over "butching" an event there sunbeam????

Do we need to go over "butching" an event there sunbeam????

hell "butching" an event cause ya partied too hard is a source of pride in Texas.......

Lots of things that are a source of pride in Texas are an embarrassment to the rest of the world :flipoff2:

Lots of things that are a source of pride in Texas are an embarrassment to the rest of the world :flipoff2:

In case ya ain't noticed.............we don't care what anyone else thinks.

Sounds like my kinda folks.

Still stoked whenever a small local pub has Shiner Bock in the cooler - good stuff.

Picking up in the 9th - I'll post a few pics and some more info.

That looks kinda like a gov lock to me....hard to tell by the pics tho. On the non-tooth side of the ring gear there will be a couple of round holes that have a clutch lining looking thing in them...thats a gov lock, and its hard to see the mechanisms until you open the diff. That and counting the number of cros pin holes is the only way to know for sure.

That's an open carrier. We offer spools, detroits, arb, etc. and gearing down to 5.38. plenty of options for the 14 bolt.

Thanks - has a new Detroit in it with new gears... Only reason I was double checking is due to fact that many folks advertise gov lock carriers as Detroits - and don't know the difference.

Sputnik, have you seen these conversion hubs yet? kinda pricey but they DO also narrow the width a little

Forged 6 on 5.5 Bolt Pattern 14 Bolt Wheel Hubs - Wheel Hubs - Spyntec Industries LLC.

Yes! Saw the Pirate thread - excited about it at first, then let down after seeing they offset each hub 1.25" - doesn't work for me. :bang:

Having a friend cut down the long side to run a short side. So with a 67" SRW axle less 6" for the short side swap I'm at about 61" - which will be 1" narrower than the front 60 housing I'm adding the 2 5/8" sleeve to.

Kinda bummed they aren't also making standard hubs - but we'll see what the machine shop can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom