External Inline Fuel Pump recommendation...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I need a recommendation for an external inline fuel pump to replace an MSD 2225 that is starting fail. I have an FJ60 with a 5.3l Vortec in it. I'm looking in the sub-$200 range. I just don't know enough about 'em to do anything other than take a shot in the dark on a Aeromotive or Jegs or whatever else I can find online......

Th--JP

ah, thanks Gary, I hadn't even considered Bosch. The psi on those pumps is pretty significant increase of about 30 psi over what I've been running. Not knowing all the nuances of the fuel system, I assume that won't cause any adverse consequences somewhere else (like at hose clamps, soft lines, etc.....)??

--JP

There are quite a few to choose from there...
Is there a major difference in reliability and performance from one to the other?

Im in the market as well!

Thanks,

Keith

The regulator should bypass all the unused fuel keeping the fuel pressure in check. The high pressure rating is what it is capable of putting out in PSI under no load at a given volume.

Yeah........the regulator......unless there is one built in somewhere near the fuel rails or something, then I'm not running one......from the gas tank to the rails it's the pump, then filter right before the rail.....that's it.

Yeah........the regulator......unless there is one built in somewhere near the fuel rails or something, then I'm not running one......from the gas tank to the rails it's the pump, then filter right before the rail.....that's it.

I thought that Iaintscared put a FPR on that?!

I thought that Iaintscared put a FPR on that?!

nope. It's literally: Gas tank, hard lines, external fuel pump mounted on frame, soft line crosses over underneath then up along the tranny tunnel and firewall into a fuel filter and then the rail. So, unless the Vortec has one built in beyond that point, then there's no regulator at all.....which may be why this current pump failed so quickly. I dunno......I'm just not to pleased at the price tags on these things.....

nope. It's literally: Gas tank, hard lines, external fuel pump mounted on frame, soft line crosses over underneath then up along the tranny tunnel and firewall into a fuel filter and then the rail. So, unless the Vortec has one built in beyond that point, then there's no regulator at all.....which may be why this current pump failed so quickly. I dunno......I'm just not to pleased at the price tags on these things.....

And that may be exactly it......these Heep guys over at Pirate are talking about a 5.3l from a Yukon.....and saying that 03 and older have a regulator on the rail itself...Mine is from an 01 Tahoe.

5.3 Jeeps - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

I need a damn Vortec manual.....

I've used airtex and walbro pumps and they've worked out really well. A new customer just brought in a 60 he had recently purchased. Turns out it's a truck I helped build 12 years ago with a tbi sbc. Same fuel pump in it after all this time and 80k miles.....

I've used Walbro with a couple imports I've helped build, they work great and lasted great in the years I spent around the vehicles. I love Aeromotives stuff, run them when I have the opportunity. Have never had an issue with them and we run them hard on our street/drag vehicles.

I have been running a Summit EFI pump w/ my 5.0 and have no issues other than it is a bit loud behind the seat.

The Howell pump was 165.00.
Its the airtex pump, and is probably the route Ill be going.

Well, I ordered the Bosch 910 but they're "out" and are offering a similar Walbro for the same price. I'll probably do that if the specs are what I want. I also went ahead and ordered a replacement pressure regulator. I figure it's possible the pump is NOT the issue or that it IS the issue because of a bad regulator. Either way, everything is getting replaced.

Well, I ordered the Bosch 910 but they're "out" and are offering a similar Walbro for the same price. I'll probably do that if the specs are what I want. I also went ahead and ordered a replacement pressure regulator. I figure it's possible the pump is NOT the issue or that it IS the issue because of a bad regulator. Either way, everything is getting replaced.

Any special type of regulator that you got?
Where did you get the parts from?
How much was the Bosch? Howell mentioned that pump in their literature I received....

Thanks,

K

Any special type of regulator that you got?
Where did you get the parts from?
How much was the Bosch? Howell mentioned that pump in their literature I received....

Thanks,

K

The regulator is just a replacment for the oem Chevy pressure reg that's on the fuel rail of my '01 Vortec. I think its AC Delco and I scored it through Ebay. The pump I tried to order through the link posted earlier in this thread.....think it was around $109. I haven't heard back from them about the Walbro so at this point I don't have any pump at all. I really need to install all of this this week so I may break down and try an aeromotive from Jegs or something.

Mr. Zero....
I just received a howell injection harness. I was reading through their instructions and this is what it says...

"On all Gen. III engines and the 1997 Corvette, the FPR is regulated at the engine and requires a fuel return line running from the engine back to the fuel tank. 1998 and later LS1 and LS2 using an in line of in tank pump, Must be equipped with a separate BYPASS type FPR, mounted near the gas tank, with a return line dumping back into the tank."

You mentioned that you had an 01...
Sounds like the motor and ECU does the fuel pressure regulation for you unless its a corvette LS1 or LS2?

Im gonna need clarification on this as well as my install time is closely approaching.

Just thought Id share that!

Keith

Mr. Zero....
I just received a howell injection harness. I was reading through their instructions and this is what it says...

"On all Gen. III engines and the 1997 Corvette, the FPR is regulated at the engine and requires a fuel return line running from the engine back to the fuel tank. 1998 and later LS1 and LS2 using an in line of in tank pump, Must be equipped with a separate BYPASS type FPR, mounted near the gas tank, with a return line dumping back into the tank."

You mentioned that you had an 01...
Sounds like the motor and ECU does the fuel pressure regulation for you unless its a corvette LS1 or LS2?

Im gonna need clarification on this as well as my install time is closely approaching.

Just thought Id share that!

Keith

My 2001 5.3L Vortec (gen 3, LM7) has a return line at the rail and has the vacuum actuated fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. I'll take pictures when I get home from Christmas vacation in a few days. So, yes, the motor does do the regulating as long as the regulator attached to it is in working order! Like I said, I just decided to replace the pump, regulator and filter all at the same time (once I figured out that it indeed HAS a fpr already on the rail) and hopefully this will solve my problems. Hopefully..... :)

Mr. Zero, what symptoms arose when your msd 2225 pump started to go out? How old was it? That is the pump I will be running to feed my LQ4 and I have heard mixed reviews on whether it is adequate for supplying fuel to a Gen III motor.

As far as regulators go, my understanding is that you can really run whatever style you like- the Vette filter with integrated regulator and the dead head rails with no return, keep the regulator at the rails like you have now, or any other configuration you like. I'm assuming you don't want to replace your rails, nor would it be necessary for a stock 5.3 motor, so the route you chose is probably the easiest and least expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom