correct 22re thermostat temp? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

22re correct thermostat temp?

Wondering if anyone knows offhand what the correct thermostat temp on a 22re is? Autozone computer says 180* is stock. (I really don't care how you feel about autozone, thanks) 180* sounds a little cold to me.

Just pulled a 195* out of the truck, which was overheating, but it was mostly the fan clutch. (changing everything in the way of preventative maintenance) Just want to put the right thermo in to get the most out of the engine. :)

Correct is 88*C=190*F. IIRC 180*F is for the 22R and the 22RET.

curious, autozone and checker auto websites both have the 180* listed as factory and the 192* as the "high temp" alternative.

Best stat is a Factory 2 stage Thermostat !!

Question: “Why does my engine temp go all the way up to the red before it comes back down to the middle of the gauge after I start it up in the morning. It only does this when the engine is cold and once it warms up it seems to operate normally. Could it be as simple as a stuck thermostat?”

Answer: (From Roger Brown’s Web Site - http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/index.shtml#Thermostat)

“What happens on the 22R and 22RE engine, when the coolant goes through the heater core it gets cooled off enough that when it gets dumped back in on top of the t-stat it shuts it. Therefore the temperature in the engine continues to go up. The t-stat that I have mentioned has two valves in it, one at the regular temp. and one smaller on at a cooler temp. If the cool water shuts the big one, the smaller one stays open. All this happens because of the lack of a by-pass hose, which on other systems, keeps hot coolant running on the t-stat.”

You can get the two-stage thermostat mentioned above from your local Toyota Dealer.
Part Number: #90916-03070

curious, autozone and checker auto websites both have the 180* listed as factory and the 192* as the "high temp" alternative.

Says the guy who doesn't want our opinions on AutoZone... Hehehe :cheers: I don't mind cheap parts... when they are easily replaced and not critical to vehicular function....

:D

most of the time on mud you get crucified if you don't go to the dealer for a part.........heaven forbid! Anyone who's ever seen my '88 rustbucket understands the need for cheap-o parts.

By the way, the 180* thermostat is working great!

I use the 2-stage one, posted on Roger Brown's "Cheap Tricks" page (see #5 above). Works very well.

For some reason the link posted isn't correct, here is the correct one:

Toyota 4Runner and Pickup: Cheap Tricks

I used to run the 180 22RET thermostat in mine, but the truck ran cold. I now run the 195* and except on rare occasions the truck hardly sees 180*.

Best stat is a Factory 2 stage Thermostat !!

Question: “Why does my engine temp go all the way up to the red before it comes back down to the middle of the gauge after I start it up in the morning. It only does this when the engine is cold and once it warms up it seems to operate normally. Could it be as simple as a stuck thermostat?”

Answer: (From Roger Brown’s Web Site - http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/index.shtml#Thermostat)

“What happens on the 22R and 22RE engine, when the coolant goes through the heater core it gets cooled off enough that when it gets dumped back in on top of the t-stat it shuts it. Therefore the temperature in the engine continues to go up. ..

Very interesting. Mine does the same thing-but only when I have the heat turned on. If it's set to cold, the temp gauge doesn't spike up.

Very interesting. Mine does the same thing-but only when I have the heat turned on. If it's set to cold, the temp gauge doesn't spike up.

That's cause on "cold" the heater valve is shut, and the coolant can't circulate through the heater core and cool off... :cheers:

I grabbed a Ford 160 degree and trimmed the sides till it fit in the housing (difference between 54mm and 52mm I think). I did this before driving cross country when my radiator was sized a bit on the small side, 160 degree air from the heater was still hot enough last winter. Now I have a huge radiator and still have the 160 degree in . . . . might change that one of these days, but you can't really go wrong with cooler - just don't ever think pulling the t-stat out completely will make it run cooler than a colt t-stat.

i've got a 180* in right now, but it's getting colder and i'd prefer the heater to melt my face off. i'm going to the stealership for the dual valve turd-mo-stat. it's $49 and some change, but what the hell. it's not the first time i've spent too much for something for one of my yote's.

It's funny, before I dropped a new engine in my truck I ran the stock Toyota thermostat with no issues. Then when I put my new engine in, I kept having the spiking issue, even with a brand new Toyota themostat. The only thing that fixed it was the dual stage thermostat.

I can't explain why, but it works.

List price is $41.60. A good dealer will sell it to you for $31.20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom