anyone add fj60 power steering to a 1F FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Been working on changing out axles, springs and will be adding power steering to a 72 fj40 with a 1F and a sprung over 75 front axle with disc brakes and hi steer. I already have a 60 power steering box. I have searched and read plenty of threads on adding 60s series to a 2f, but can't find anything regarding someone having done this to a 1F. Anyone have pictures or details? I am concerned about mounting the 60 series pump. Thanks for your input.

Get a Saginaw pump and mounting bracket and don’t look back. The Saginaw power steering pump is twice the pump that the Toyota unit could ever be.

Forget about trying to use the Toyota power steering pump on your early block.

2F engines prior to 1979 did not have mounting provisions for the OEM power steering pump.

:meh:

come on guys , chime in on this. I think there is some of us that are interested on hearing from you espicially how to set up the pump. I've looked at all the threads I could find and would like to get as much info as possible.

Get a Saginaw pump and mounting bracket and don’t look back. The Saginaw power steering pump is twice the pump that the Toyota unit could ever be.

Forget about trying to use the Toyota power steering pump on your early block.

2F engines prior to 1979 did not have mounting provisions for the OEM power steering pump.

Where can you get the bracket that would work on an F ?

Or I think with some slight modifications (you'd have to check into it) the bracket that JT Outfitters sells would be ok on a F engine too. Different pump placement compared to the wdorry bracket.

Where can you get the bracket that would work on an F ?

MAF sells a nice Saginaw power steering pump bracket.

Iron Pig does as well, iirc.

Marks off road sells one.

A 2F smog pump bracket can be modified to work as well.

Really not that big of a deal...

anyone with pics? I may be ordering some stuff from orange45 (Georg) and it sounds like he may also have the bracket, keep the info coming! Son added saginaw to his, can do it to mine, but always looking for options

this is what I'm doing on an early 2F that I'll be running the early air cleaner.

the power steering pump and bracket are off a 3FE as well as the alternator and modified upper adjustment bracket that ties into the water pump housing.

should work out good, just have to get a double groove crank pulley and a double groove water pump pulley. all should line up perfectly.
early 2F power steering & alternator 001.jpg
early 2F power steering & alternator 002.jpg
early 2F power steering & alternator 003.jpg

Hugh - I have the pump and mount (pulley and steering box, too) off the 3FE FJ80 that I'm parting out. It might mount to the passenger side of the block, but I'm not sure.....thought I saw someone who had done it. Lemme know if you want to "try it on" for fit.

driver's side

driver's side

the set-up I posted should work for your needs.

the only problem i see for your application is that being spring over, I'm guessing that you might be running tires larger than '33's, in which case as others have mentioned you probably want to stick with a saginaw pump set-up. It has proven to be a stronger pump.

feedback i'm getting is that with the spring over and large tires - will most likely run 37 x 12.50s that saginaw would be best. Thanks for everybody's input, very much appreciated

67azcruizr, did you ever finish that powersteering istall. I was thinking of doing the same on my 1F. What I'm unsure of is if the 3F pump will align with the old smog pump groves on the crank and water pump, or if I have to covert all to the 2F pulleys. Any advice? I have 73 1F that had a smog pump on the upper right location.

I run an FJ60 box w/ hydro assist on my '74.

I run a Saginaw pump modified for external resevoir mounted using a Marks Off Road bracket.

To have two pulleys, I installed a 2F crank, and FJ60 waterpump (w/ 7 blade clutch fan), thermostat housing and oil cooler.

I did. Look under my name and power steering...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom