Hood Louver Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought i would post up on the install of some new hood louvers. Need to get a bit more of that V8 heat out of there and this is a great and inexpensive way to do it. I got the louvers from Genright off road. you can get them
here: JEEP PARTS | JEEP ACCESSORIES | JEEP BUMPERS | Hood Louvers

they were relatively inexpensive, especially for a 3 piece set. way less expensive than the RaceAce set and same material. install was very easy and I am noticing a big difference.

I used the 3-piece long set. no issues with fitment. the side louvers clear the underside bracing completely and the rear louver has one brace running through, but it is not in the way at all. (you can see in the second pic)

some guys are doing these with louvers from sports cars like a grand prix because they have drip pans on the underside and wont let the rain in to your motor, however, they do not let out as much heat as easily. I am pretty happy and the install looks great.

also recently did Tuff-Coat (like Durabak) on the fenders/rockers/hood in the same poo brown color as my cruiser and it looks sweet.

:popcorn:
hood1.jpg
hood2.jpg
hood3.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have been wanting those for a long time! That set is the best value I could find for louvers.

This is the same idea, but much more money: RunCool Hood Louvers/Hood Vents For Your Vehicle - Cool Your Engine - RaceAce

Question:
Do you notice any more engine noise than before the install?

yeah, I hunted for a long time to find a good deal, and these are it! I actually like them better than the Race-Ace ones I have seen installed.

I don't notice anymore engine noise at all, but I do have the "redneck de-carpeting kit"...so my rig is a bit louder than normal anyway.

looks good! does the hood and fender feel any cooler at all? My DS fender gets really hot..

did you remove all the underside hood dampening?

Do stock vents/inlet for the climate control suck in any underhood fumes or smells with the vents in those locations?

Do stock vents/inlet for the climate control suck in any underhood fumes or smells with the vents in those locations?

well my climate control is the "4-55" so it does not make any difference... but no fume from this motor. the only thing that gets hot is the ds floor board from the friggin catalytic converter.

Anyone near 93003 or willing to make the drive, I can put you in contact with a guy who has a louver press and punches them for a lot of 4WD's & hot rods. His is a 3" punch. Looked for pics, but I don't have any of his work, which is rather odd. PM for contact details.

Those look great! Hey, slightly off topic... Was your rig in the Readers Rides of the May 09' Petersen's 4Wheel mag? Nice Rig!:cheers:

FYI search for 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9L hood louvers or ones from an older model Pontiac GTP.

Those look great! Hey, slightly off topic... Was your rig in the Readers Rides of the May 09' Petersen's 4Wheel mag? Nice Rig!:cheers:

yep, it was! kinda fun to see my rig in the mag. I have seen a few other mud members in there from time to time as well

Anyone near 93003 or willing to make the drive, I can put you in contact with a guy who has a louver press and punches them for a lot of 4WD's & hot rods. His is a 3" punch. Looked for pics, but I don't have any of his work, which is rather odd. PM for contact details.

whats the cost for this?

nice:cheers:

whats the cost for this?
He charges by the job because some louvers are easy to punch and others are not. He feels this is fairer to both parties involved than simply charging by the louver. If you've got a simple job and he charges by the louver, then to cover the jobs that aren't simple you're getting screwed.
So what you want (Negative punched, straight line of louvers or curved following a body-line, angled, etc., etc., etc.), where you want them relative to under-hood structure, and how much of the prep work you do vs. what he has to do all figure into the cost. If you're really interested PM & I'll put you in contact with him.

FYI search for 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9L hood louvers or ones from an older model Pontiac GTP.
The GTP is the better bet. The 5.9L ZJ's are not all that common. I've seen exactly three of them in the time that I've known of their existence, which given that my old barber bought one new......

ntsqd, I got the info from yah, on this guy a while back but have not had the chance to call him.

I did do a websearch for "hood louver stamp" and got this link.
Built me a louver press.... and it works! - THE H.A.M.B.

I like to think this is the same guy.. cause I really like the work that those pics show...
If that is the the way he prices his work.. Im cool with that too... quality work always comes at a price..

Last edited:
ntsqd, I got the info from yah, on this guy a while back but have not had the chance to call him.

I did do a websearch for "hood louver stamp" and got this link.
Built me a louver press.... and it works! - THE H.A.M.B.

I like to think this is the same guy.. cause I really like the work that those pics show...
If that is the the way he prices his work.. Im cool with that too... quality work always comes at a price..
Son of a gun!! I didn't know Kevin had a punch too!
That punch is literally 4 blocks up the street from me, and they're short blocks.

The work of Kevin's that I've seen is top shelf. Mostly what I'm familiar with him doing is drag race interior sheet metal.

I don't think that you could go wrong with either guy. MISF, as I call him, would likely be a bit less, but he is just as anal about doing it right and he's an off roader to boot.
His Scout in Doran Cyn pre any punching:
770c.jpg

He's actually had the punch longer than the Scout, but for some reason it wasn't until recently that he started punching louvers in the Scout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom