Transmission won't shift when the trucks running but will when its not..wtf? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So why would a 1995 4runner with a 5 spd suddenly have shifting problems? Never had clutch slippage or any transmission issues. Basically, it'll row through the gears with or without pressing in the clutch if the truck is NOT running. If it is running, you need to start it in gear and plan on leaving it there! Can't shift if the engines running, including reverse...

So anyone have an idea what the issue is?

So why would a 1995 4runner with a 5 spd suddenly have shifting problems? Never had clutch slippage or any transmission issues. Basically, it'll row through the gears with or without pressing in the clutch if the truck is NOT running. If it is running, you need to start it in gear and plan on leaving it there! Can't shift if the engines running, including reverse...

So anyone have an idea what the issue is?

Sounds like your clutch isn't releasing from the engine, do you have any brake fluid in your clutch MC?

Yeah, the master cylinder is full....

Just because the clutch isn't slipping, it doesn't mean it's not worn out.

Check the release hydraulics out carefully. If everything is working properly and there's no leaks, start collecting parts for a clutch job.

If it was the MC/slave cylinder, wouldn't i need to pump the clutch just to get resistance? If I start it in 2nd gear for instance, I can drive it around in second gear as normal, just can't shift out of second.... Even stop and go, clutch seems to work

I agree with the clutch.

I dont see how you can say the clutch works. What gives you the idea that it is engaging/disengaging if it not doing its main function when running?

Sounds like the clutch is constantly disengaged i.e. would explain why you can shift when it is not running but it will not shift out when running.

clutch pilot bearing or clutch disc . . . I had the same exact thing happen about 8 years ago in my '88 p/u, found out the clutch disc springs broke and wedged between the flywheel and disc (keeping it spinning at all times)

Put the trans in 1st, push in the pedal, and start the truck. If the truck takes off, then clearly the clutch is not disengaging, or the pilot bearing is done.... Check out the hydraulic system, but if it checks out fine, you're gonna have to pull the trans one way or another.

I say warn bearing, synchronizer or shift key.

Has it ever been low on oil?

well it looks like the tranny needs to come out.. never done it so looks like i may need to bring it somewhere :(

is that the part with the rubber boot on it?

i had this problem on an 86 civic it turned out thepreesure plate was cracked allowing partial disengagment but you couldnt shift it while running.......after a quick shift fork check you gootta drop the tranny

Dropping the trans is not that hard, just takes some patience. I replaced my clutch by myself in 5 hours with the help of a trans jack.

It's not much more than turning bolts.... :cheers:

^^^^ What he said...Call one of your buddies over for the day and share a case of your favorite suds with him afterward.

Having two floor jacks makes it easier when dropping the tranny. Disconnect the drive shafts, remove the shifter boots, tranny wiring harnesses and the bolts for the rear tranny mount and thats pretty much it.

Go to your local auto-zoo and rent a bearing puller for free to remove the pilot bearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom