Removing Nails from Cinder Block (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The owner said I could clear out some of the old work benches & shelves so I could have more room. The 2x4's were attached with a nail gun. Big frickin' nails too. What's the best way to get the 2x4 off w/o destroying the cinder block.

Last edited:
Cat's Paw and a big honkin' pry bar.

You may end up pulling the heads off the nails. Just get the boards off, then snap the nails off flush with the blocks.

I would start with a catspaw or prybar to see if the nail will come out. If not, I would use a saws all and cut the board and the plate from around the nail head. I would then use the catspaw or prybar to see if the nail will come out again. If not, cut the head off the nail and drive it all the way in.

C4 is your friend :hillbilly: agree with both statements above thats the way i would do it

That nail and plate looks as if its been shot in with some sort of powder actuated fastening gun, ( Ramset or something like it). If you have to use anything larger than a flat pry bar behind the lumber, and have to use substantial force, the odds are fairly high that your going to at least pop a small part of the block face off. If thats fine, find the biggest damn pry bar you can find.
To get the cleanest look, Sawsall the nail behind the board, or split the board around the nail and then snap them off as noted earlier. Remember if those little bastards were put in properly, they're meant to stay in there under stressfull conditions, and their going to fight to come out.

4 1/2, or a die grinder with a cut off blade. Take the head first, and after the lumber is pulled, cut the shank flush with the wall.

it's only gaining you 1 1/2" - incorporate it into the design of what you want to do.

work smarter, not harder.

bk

Grind the nail heads off, remove the board, then grind the nails down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom