How good is a chevy 6.2 diesel military truck for towing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found an 85 chevy military truck from a friend for a $1000.00

Ii's a military truck w/ 35000 miles in it.

it's got the front d60 that I need for 40 and a 14 bolt in the rear.

I have no idea on gears, it's got the turbo 400 & a 205.

Is it worth buying?

I would like to buy it with the intentions of taking the D60 and put it under my 40 and put a d44 8lug under the chevy truck.

At the same time, I would like to use this truck for towing my 40 for long trips.

I have not heard any good comments about the chevy 6.2 diesel but I said I would like to hear it from those that really know this stuff and have used the 6.2 not just from the forums.

...something about the injection pump not good and expensive.

For the record, I don't know crap about diesel engines

So please somebody school me on this!

I found an 85 chevy military truck from a friend for a $1000.00

Ii's a military truck w/ 35000 miles in it.

it's got the front d60 that I need for 40 and a 14 bolt in the rear.

I have no idea on gears, it's got the turbo 400 & a 205.

Is it worth buying?

I would like to buy it with the intentions of taking the D60 and put it under my 40 and put a d44 8lug under the chevy truck.

At the same time, I would like to use this truck for towing my 40 for long trips.

I have not heard any good comments about the chevy 6.2 diesel but I said I would like to hear it from those that really know this stuff and have used the 6.2 not just from the forums.

...something about the injection pump not good and expensive.

For the record, I don't know crap about diesel engines

So please somebody school me on this!

JP - for a grand you need to buy it! The front axle is worth that. It should have a 208 t-case not a 205 but that won't matter for a tow rig. The gearing will be 456 and a little slow for the highway but you could change the rear to match the front you choose. Roger T. is the guy for your 6.2 questions. He knows them inside and out. From my own experience they are a little underpowered but if you keep the trailer light they will get you there and get decent fuel economy doing it.

All that said, if you don't want it you need to bring it to me! I'll send you the cash today. ( can I make this my request from the border?)

JP - for a grand you need to buy it! The front axle is worth that. It should have a 208 t-case not a 205 but that won't matter for a tow rig. The gearing will be 456 and a little slow for the highway but you could change the rear to match the front you choose. Roger T. is the guy for your 6.2 questions. He knows them inside and out. From my own experience they are a little underpowered but if you keep the trailer light they will get you there and get decent fuel economy doing it.

All that said, if you don't want it you need to bring it to me! I'll send you the cash today. ( can I make this my request from the border?)

DITTO

I would buy it in a heart beat. If you run across another let us know.

The 6.2 is a great motor in a Cruiser, but sorta sucks in a tow rig. It will get you there and has good fuel milage, but the 18 wheelers will pass you on the hills.

JP - for a grand you need to buy it! The front axle is worth that. It underpowered but if you keep the trailer light they will get you there and get decent fuel economy doing it.

well sir kind of late for that request!

I told my buddy that I will talk to him next week to go see it.

The 6.2 is a great motor in a Cruiser, but sorta sucks in a tow rig. It will get you there and has good fuel milage, but the 18 wheelers will pass you on the hills.

I want a reliable tow truck that will get me there and not break

... as far as the 18 wheeler will pass me on the hills, I really don't mind. They already pass me when I tow the 40 w/ my 80 and going 45 miles/hr up hill so I don't see a problem with it.

how about some engine add on for power & torque, Is there any that will wake up this motor?

You can turbo them. We had a 6.5 turbo and with exception of the injection pump(which is completely different than the 6.2) we had very little trouble.

The turbo will make a difference and the kit will cost about 3 times what you are paying for the truck.

The turbo will make a difference and the kit will cost about 3 times what you are paying for the truck.[/QUOT]

well, I gues I'll buy it keep the D60 and leave the rest for my 74 buggy.

that's one option.

JP - any non-turbo diesel is gonna suck on hills. For a grand I'd buy it for the drivetrain and haul the rest of it the recyclers. You'd get 200 to 300 bucks for the salvage and you've got a really good drive line for a rig for 7 to 800 bucks......

Come to Mississippi. I talked to a guy last night that bought a Deuce and a half for $1100 with new tires, new rear cover and a full tank of diesel! Drove it home! He said they were going for anywhere from $300 - $1500!

Later,

Well, I went to look at the truck and is a piece of crap. It had a lot of rust and It did not start.

At his point I don't want to start with another project.

The truck is mostly for parts then a tow rig, which is what I am looking for.

I told my friend that I will get back to him later for the axels, that's the only thing I see good for me.

Daryl I did see at the park a blue Dodge single cab long bed 4x4 for sale.

do you know who owns that Truck?

I know it's a long shot, but any ways. I should have asked when I was there.

I am kind of looking for one of those models 90-91 not the newer ones.(tied budget)

Well, I went to look at the truck and is a piece of crap. It had a lot of rust and It did not start.

At his point I don't want to start with another project.

The truck is mostly for parts then a tow rig, which is what I am looking for.

I told my friend that I will get back to him later for the axels, that's the only thing I see good for me.

Daryl I did see at the park a blue Dodge single cab long bed 4x4 for sale.

do you know who owns that Truck?

I know it's a long shot, but any ways. I should have asked when I was there.

I am kind of looking for one of those models 90-91 not the newer ones.(tied budget)

Don't know who owns it but I plan to go back next weekend - I'll check on it for you then if you like.

Tell your friend to get it running and I'll give him the grand he is asking...:D

Don't know who owns it but I plan to go back next weekend - I'll check on it for you then if you like.

Tell your friend to get it running and I'll give him the grand he is asking...:D

lucky you, you can go to that park within a day. I'll tell you, some people have it all.

Well, I can't complaint. I have a job, good health, good family and good friends.

life's good.

I'll push my friend to get that truck to run .

The truck has a lot of rust on the cab, upper part of cab , the door and part of the bed mostly driver side.

the truck needs a fair amount of work to be somewhat a decent truck

He doesn't have much intentions of selling the truck running, so we'll see what happens

keep an eye for me on that faded blue dodge.

found this on criags list. 93 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel std.

I test drove this truck and here are my comments
need help on making the decision to get this truck!

the truck was nice to drive. it drives like a tractor(which I never driven one but the old man asked me when I came back "how does the tractor drives?" 1st and 2nd are way low & slow, I stepped on the go pedal and it feels like it needs to breath more in order to move, once I changed gear(to 3th) it's all normal. Once in third, that's when the truck really start moving. Is this normal for a truck like this?

The truck was from Waco,tx. very clean and no rust at all

The interior is very clean. it's red, captain chairs, no torn seats, grease or any bad spots of oil/gunk on carpet. The engine bay is clean and dry. No oil spills or signs of any torn/blown head gaskets or of any kind. A/C works nice, power widnows. it's got a goose neck hitch already. Truck is good for those long ass trips that I make to see you folks.

I did not look under the truck for any oil leaks but when the old man fired it up, it started right quick with a small amount of black smog(hardly any) coming out of the tail pipe. which it was minimum in the very 1st crank it started. I take it's a good sign.

The truck has 290XXX miles and the engine looks like new, it shifts pretty good.

What I did not like was that it takes off pretty slow on 1st and 2nd but I guess that's the way the truck is. suspension it's OK.

The Old man that owns it said that the gearbox was messed up. I don't think that the problem is the gear box like the old man said, I doubt that's the problem. The truck tilts a lil' to the righ or the left. it probably needs alignment and balancing. The old man said that the previous owner bought a pair of new tires in the front and I am guessing there was no alignment of balancing at all. when driving, the truck tends to go to the sides.

I drove it on HWY 511 and then to bocachica. I was able to drive it a 75mph and no shaking of any kind like my 40. he! he!(at 75mph)

The truck just tends to go to the sides, which requires you to steer the opposite way in which you're going.

Kids and I liked the truck.

My lil' one Fernando said that it needs a new set of wheels, paint job and a radio and we're done.

Can't believe how he comes up with these things.

I told the old man that I would go today w/ my friend the mechanic to take another look at it.

It seems like the loan has been approve from my financial advisor(wife).

The old man wants $3500.00 but he said that the least he can let the truck go is for $3400.00
I offered $3K but he said that he got it for $3500.00 so $3400.00 Is this price within range?
I like the truck but at a cheaper price, I think is expensive and the fact that I know crap about diesel trucks makes me wonder if I am getting what I am paying for it.

I checked the Book value for this truck w/ 250XXXmile,like he told me Saturday when I first called him, and Kelly's book value was $3650.00

In reality the truck got 290XXX but the truck is in good conditions. needs a paint job, missing tailgate.

any assitance and opinion on this matter will be appreciated!

Are you' a burocrat like my wife? ...answer a question w/ another question.

it did not take me much about 10 min.! ...it would have taken less if my wife wouldn't have been talking to me about lunch

who cares! focus and express an opinion sir!

obviously I lost you somewhere on the reading since you did not answer or express an opinion base on my perceptions.

darn it!

Anybody else???

ah! come on!!!

Actually, I went to see this truck today. 1986 Ford F-250 Crew Cab Long Bed Diesel Pickup

An 86 ford long bed 176xxx miles but I don't like it.
It's got a long ass bed and auto. I am not to sure about what engine it's got but it's a diesel 250 extended cab.

If the old man thinks he gear box is messed up then surely he will let it go for less. I see a lot of these still on the road. The 12 valve motor is almost bullet proof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom