diesels to fit in my fj80 ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what all diesels will fit in my 91 landcruiser.fj80,on volvo axles.looking to up the power of the 3fe to diesel what will fit,and looking for a whole set up to drop in and turn key, and a stick shift.what do ya got/and do ya want to trade,

Hi rexman,

This forum hasn't seen photos of your rig for quite some time, how about a refresher!

Of course I'm assuming you are the new owner of tiredirons truck, please correct me if I'm "assuming".

In my opinion, you have a very non-original truck, therefore you cannot do any more harm to the "public at large" resale value. Of course, mudders are not the public at large, are they!!!

This detail opens the discussion to include a non-original (non-Toyota) re-power. Toyota motors happen to be the most expensive re-power option available.

You are in a unique position to consider best choice based on value (power gain per dollar). If I were in your position, I would consider a GM 6.5L (it's a bored out, beefed up and turboed 6.2L, like you find in the CUCV) mated to your existing tranny or a Toyota 5 speed,utilizing a Mark's Adapator and bits. Estimate for this option would be around $4k, performing the work yourself.

Repowering with a Toyota motor is best done with a 1/2 cut. Don't be deceived by pricing a motor sitting on a pallet. I recommend using SOR or another vendor who sells 1/2 cuts. Prices will start at $7.5k, again, performing the work yourself.

We look forward to photos and your further thoughts.

BTW, your avatar indicates you might be a Olive Drab affectionado! I just bought my first M35A2C!!! Cheers.

Rick

Last edited:
I will have to second the GM engine, I went with a military take out 6.2 non turbo. A turbo could easily be added to the 6.2 and from what I have seen it will fit better than the factory 6.5 turbo. Plus there was only one year of the non-electronic 6.5 turbo (93) so they are hard to find.
The 6.2/6.5 is a relatively easy swap (check my thread) and cheaper than anything else you can do.
The power is great, torque is amazing, engine weight is about the same as the Toyota (about 700 lbs)
I can't say enough good things about mine (wish I still had it), also the easiest engine to work on I have ever owned and it fits in the engine compartment perfectly.
Rusty

I will have to second the GM engine, I went with a military take out 6.2 non turbo. A turbo could easily be added to the 6.2 and from what I have seen it will fit better than the factory 6.5 turbo.

Rusty, I agree with you, the lower compression 6.2L is a great candidate for a turbo.

My reason for recommending the later model 6.5L was:

a) Beefed up lower end, making the engine stronger than all previous engines of the family

b) Serpentine belt system. much cleaner drive system for the accessories (as you know, if I recollect correctly!!!)

c) Matched turbo with engineered installation at no additional cost

d) All the above for a price (about $2k for a used donor truck) less than it would take to buy and upgrade a 6.2L to the same basic level.

I would only choose to go with a NA 6.2L if I was stuck with a minimum budget and didn't mind running multi belts for accessories and a un-girdled bottom end.

Mind you, I have not performed this swap as you have, only studied the feasibility. I solicit your opinions.

Rick

deisel help

yes i have george's toyo/volvo and looking to up the hp from the 3fe.to a turbo or superchargered diesel,and yes the 8x8 1 of 3 made gmc is looking for a new home.protype-amphibious musium would be nice for her,are there any other diesel engines that will fit in this truck.would like to do a drop in and go if i can,my days of mickeymouse ing thing to work are getting shorter,let me know jim

Not sure if there's such a thing as a "drop in" diesel swap for a 91 FJ80...even with Toyota.

I'm in the midst of converting my 91 FJ80 with a Toyota 12H-T with Sheldon right now (G&S Cruiser Parts)...we're about 80% done and the buildup thread is in the 80s forum.

Your 80 sounds very interesting...would love to see what you do with it in terms of a diesel swap. :cheers:

diesel help

well as for the term drop in .finding a deisel setup engine from a 91-92 landcruiser don't know all the numbers these trucks were called.but have read of fj 's up your way in canda that have deisels with 5 speeds....so that is what i am looking for,or to find a cruiser and drop its axles and put mine under and achive the same goal.jim

1HZ or 1HD-T are factory options in 80 series .. which tranny are you using right now . ?

I woudl suggest much more than a GM a Ford 7.3 V8 IDI diesel .. or a 6BT

I will have to agree with the serpentine belt set-up, it is the only way to go. I chose not to go that route mainly because I already had most of the parts for the multiple belts. But if I were to do it again I would definitely go with the serpentine belt.
As far as the 6.2, unless you live at altitude I think the power of the NA 6.2 would be plenty unless you plan to pull alot of weight. The 6.2 in my 94 seemed much better than the stock 1FZE.
Since you have a 91 with the A440 I would go with the 6.2 (or 6.5) to the A440, I am pretty sure Mark's has an adapter for that transmission. The final drive in the A440 is about the same as the 700R4 so it should be fine.
That being the case it is nearly a bolt in deal, just one adapter. I believe I have seen some new engine mounts on Mark's website now as well.
The wiring is easy since the 6.2 only reguires about 3 wires to make it run!
Good luck, keep us posted.
Rusty

well as for the term drop in .finding a deisel setup engine from a 91-92 landcruiser don't know all the numbers these trucks were called.but have read of fj 's up your way in canda that have deisels with 5 speeds....so that is what i am looking for,or to find a cruiser and drop its axles and put mine under and achive the same goal.jim

If you want more power and have some legality ,then the 1HD T would be the minimum. The 1HZ would not be an improvement powerwise over the 3F.
The Toyota diesels will be reliable and longer lasting than most of the other candidates.

the cummins works nicely in my 80 so far, it actually at the shop at the moment getting some head work done though.
This isnt a drop and drive away for cheap option, but i think the 4BT and 6BT's are proven candidates as well. Proffits does these conversions, but then again, quality and cost are directly proportional with this kind of thing.

but have read of fj 's up your way in canda that have deisels with 5 speeds....so that is what i am looking for,or to find a cruiser and drop its axles and put mine under and achive the same goal.jim

Jim,

I think you are onto a optimal idea here.

Have you considered a Diesel Land Cruiser from down here? We have Land Cruisers the way you want: Left hand drive, diesel with 5 speed, dual A/C, everything just what you want.

Prices are reasonable, and there's some selection at the moment.
Shipping is steep, but the idea is still worth considering.

I hear what you are saying, and I think those portal axles would go right under a Land Cruiser from down here.

If you want to explore your options, PM me and I'll give you some ideas and prices for getting you into a diesel rig.

Rick

I think you may have emailed me already, however in case you don't know, I have a toyota 1HZ with a 5 speed, transfer case, drive shafts, exhaust pipe, radiator, and all assessories for sale in Seattle for $8500. I was planning an 80 swap myself, but running low on free time these days. Let me know. 907 7662028

I posted my answer in the wrong thread (the one titled "Best Diesel Engine")...meant to post it here...

Sheldon's dropping in a 1HD-FT with a 5spd and part time case into his 40th FZJ80 soon...that would be a nice swap into your 80, IMO. Motor mounts would have to be modified...but I had to do that with my 12H-T swap too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom