24v Winch Wiring, yes I searched till I got a headache. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got a 24v 8274 for my 24 volt 1977 BJ40.

What terminals do I connect the pos and neg wires from the winch?
I am thinking Neg wire to the grounded terminal and the Pos to the Pos harness terminal. Am I wrong?

I attached a drawing to show what I have.

TIA, Mike
winch.jpg

24v winch

Hi,
pos of winch to pos of second batt(24V),neg of winch to neg of first batt,or ground,l rather connect it direct to neg of first batt then you know you have a good connection.
Simon
l have the same winch on my BJ42

Make sure you are connected to the pos that has the starter motor leads to it and neg can go to first battery neg or to the frame or body were the neg wire bolts to.

Thanks guys thats exactly what I thought.

Ya Dieseler got it..

Hey P.G, very cool...I used to live there, Just up the hill from the High School. Miss that place !!

So my 3B powered FJ60 has two batteries- not sure how it all works but the interior stuff all runs 12V. I assume from what I have read that the starter is the only component that uses 24V in my rig. So I am shopping for a 24V Winch and would love to know if I might be able to run it correctly with my existing battery configuration.

Any hints?

So my 3B powered FJ60 has two batteries- not sure how it all works but the interior stuff all runs 12V. I assume from what I have read that the starter is the only component that uses 24V in my rig. So I am shopping for a 24V Winch and would love to know if I might be able to run it correctly with my existing battery configuration.

Any hints?

With an engine swap such as yours you could have anything. Some competition rigs use a series/ parallel switch for the winch but I'm not really sure it's worth the complexity. A 12V 8274 works pretty well.

Lowenbrau:
That's a good point I could look for a 12V winch.

Trouble is I found a 24V for cheap- its a warn 8XXX forgot the exact designation.
Just don't want to buy it if I can't use it :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom