How easy is it to learn how to splice rope? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
are we talking about read an article, and 1/2 hour later you've got a great splice, or is it something you have to apprentice for for a couple of years? :)

Intrigued by the idea of splicing synthetic winch rope.

Not to mention wire rope...! :eek:

Splicing road is not difficult as long as you have the tapered dowel. My wife makes her own lead lines from a huge roll. I think she read one of my old Boy Scout books after she went to a clinic.

For safety, I would not recommend splicing winch line or wire cable. It can be done and is the same principle, just stiffer to work with.

Last edited:
Really easy, at least for synthetic winch line. Only special tool is a coat hanger and some packing tape.

I read this thread and had my synthetic line spliced in a half hour or so.

End splicing winch rope (warning--lots of pics) - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
Note: this link is for end splicing (joining two sections together) there is a link in the first post that is for creating the loop at the end of a line for a hook.

Scott @ rockstomper.com, who sold me my winch line, posted this up. He is a great guy to deal with and provides top notch service.

Really easy, at least for synthetic winch line. Only special tool is a coat hanger and some packing tape.

I read this thread and had my synthetic line spliced in a half hour or so.

End splicing winch rope (warning--lots of pics) - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
Note: this link is for end splicing (joining two sections together) there is a link in the first post that is for creating the loop at the end of a line for a hook.

Scott @ rockstomper.com, who sold me my winch line, posted this up. He is a great guy to deal with and provides top notch service.

I have to say, this is not at all what I imagined splicing to be. I was thinking intertwining the various individual strands together in a braided kind of pattern. Here it seems like he's mostly passing one rope through the middle of the other one. What's with that?

I have only seen what you described. Weaving the strands.

I have to say, this is not at all what I imagined splicing to be. I was thinking intertwining the various individual strands together in a braided kind of pattern. Here it seems like he's mostly passing one rope through the middle of the other one. What's with that?

I have never seen the technique posted. It makes sense since it the "Chinese Thumb Cuffs" theory.

I have only seen what you described. Weaving the strands.

I have never seen the technique posted. It makes sense since it the "Chinese Thumb Cuffs" theory.

No idea how good that is. Seems like you'd have much less friction / compression than with the braided style of splice. But may be just fine.

His splice is pretty much correct for that type of line. When in doubt, go to the manufacturer of the line for instructions. Samson, the maker of much of the syntetic line in use has a great website, and their entire splicing manual is on-line at
Samson
Splicing amsteel is really easy, just follow the instructions and get the measurements right!!
Good luck!

Sorry. forgot to add that splicing wire rope is a whole other ball of wax. Lotsa skill and punctured and bleeding hands..... That is why you see the prevalent use of flemish eyes with swaged collars, or crosby (bulldog) clips!
If you are really interested in rigging safely, get yourself a copy of the "Handbook for Riggers" (Newberry Investments, PO box 2999 calgary alberta (403) 281-1957) (info from my copy) and read it and keep it in the truck to use EVERYTIME you try to rig a recovery.

Yeah, samson splice, everybody can understand it easily.

Just make sure that you follow the lock-stitch procedure to finish the splice. Otherwise the tail can pull out during load/unload cycles!

Doubling a strap makes it weak?

I was wheeling recently and someone needed a strap. What I did ws run my strap through my shackle and then shackled both end loops to his rig. This doubled the strap to shorten the length as that was what we needed.

While doing this, someone mentioned that it weakens the strap. I had not heard this before and thought I'd ask on here about the validity of that statement. Please note, this was a tow strap and not a kinetic energy strap.

Thanks,

Buck

I was wheeling recently and someone needed a strap. What I did ws run my strap through my shackle and then shackled both end loops to his rig. This doubled the strap to shorten the length as that was what we needed.

While doing this, someone mentioned that it weakens the strap. I had not heard this before and thought I'd ask on here about the validity of that statement. Please note, this was a tow strap and not a kinetic energy strap.

Thanks,

Buck

well, an extra bend is probably not helping in theory, especially if "locked" on by friction on the shackle, where it could get stressed. In practice, though, if it's folding flat over a big enough shackle pin (I'd use the pin), it may not be a significant issue I would think, especially if your strap is conservative to start with, as it should be. I'm thinking that in the big picture, this is likely to be much less an issue than where you attaching the strap on the rigs...

I have prepped two synthetic winch lines for PTO winches before, it is not that hard. I was mainly interested in prepping the ends of the line to accept a metal eye hook or thimble if I remember the name correctly. The hardest part was coming up with a way to fabricate your own Fid. I went to a marine supply store and looked for fids, they sell them for making and repairing sailing lines. Their fid kits were 30 or 40 bucks. I ended up going to a arts and crafts store and buying a set of metal knitting needles. I cut the plastic end off of one needle and used the rest of the tapered hollow tube as the fid....worked great and I was out $2.38...tops.

Also...the lock stitch process is also important. Some manufacturers recommend using thread to hold the lines together. I ended up using a leather stitching needle and some 30lb test fishing line...works fine.

why do the fids have to be hollow?

why do the fids have to be hollow?

I don't know that they do. The coat hanger and packing tap method that Scott shows in the link worked pretty well for me when I was adding the loop for a thimble & hook.

I also did not lock-stitch my splice. No problems yet, but ya'll have got me worried so I will go back and check it/add the stitch before I head out again.

I don't know that they do. The coat hanger and packing tap method that Scott shows in the link worked pretty well for me when I was adding the loop for a thimble & hook.

I also did not lock-stitch my splice. No problems yet, but ya'll have got me worried so I will go back and check it/add the stitch before I head out again.[/QUOTE

I tried using a stiff wire with the rope taped to the end, it didn't work for me. The hollow fid allowed me to bury the rope into the tube and use minimal tape to keep it attached together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom