Cummins B3.3 FJ45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eco 45

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Base of the Three Sisters Mountains Oregon
Website
www.eco-offroad.com
[FONT=&quot]After buying this truck over a year ago under the impressions that it was in driving condition---quoted from the seller “Mechanically pretty good. Runs and stops real well. I drive it occasionally when I head up north, but not all that often. The tires still have the little nubbs. This truck is a blast.” The truck can finally move under its own power—Cummins B3.3 Power.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A little back ground first---I bought this truck when living in Wyoming in a home with no area to work on a vehicle with the intentions of enjoying it until I could fully restore another FJ45 from the ground up. The truck showed up via transport and the driver said that he had to winch it onto his truck and that nothing worked---and by nothing he meant he couldn’t get it started, brakes didn’t work and parking brake didn’t work. Not the first thing you want to hear when a new vehicle shows up at your door step. So I set to work out in my driveway in the snow of Wyoming---did I also mention I was at 7200 feet with temps below 0 F. I finally got the truck to run and not long after was greeted by the lovely bells of fire trucks stopping at my home. You see the truck smoked so bad that one of my neighbors thought my house was on fire and called the fire department. I would have moved the truck away from my house---but turns out metal to metal does not act as a good clutch surface so I was unable to get the truck in gear. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thought about finding a large cliff for the truck and collecting insurance money---but instead got online and began researching shops in my area that could work on the truck. From what I could tell almost all mechanical components were on life support, so everything would have to be gone through---not something I wanted to play with in a snowy driveway with temps heading south of 0 F. Luck would have it I was about four hours from Proffitt’s Cruisers---and seeing that they offered diesel conversions sealed the deal of me dragging the truck down to them. I see Gasoline engines as an engineer’s idea of a joke—diesel is the only true way to power a vehicle.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I had planned on doing a 4BT with 700 R4 transmission swap into the truck with a few other upgrades. But a couple weeks before the install was going to take place the guys at Proffitt’s mentioned that they came across another Cummins option being used in mining trucks---Cummins B3.3 rated at 85 hp and 215 lbs torque---mechanical engine—no computers. Unlike the 4BT to install this engine a minimal amount of lift would be needed, the engine was a little quieter and can be purchased new for half the cost of a rebuilt 4BT. So I decided to be a Ginny pig and let Proffitt’s install one of these engines in my truck---and boy was I happily surprised. I have only had the truck back for less than a week and am surprised how quickly it can move around and it seems to be getting great mileage. For only being rated at 85 hp that little engine can sure move the FJ45 in a hurry and that is even with me running a three speed auto. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The current specs of the truck are as follows:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Engine: Cummins B3.3---all mechanical no electronics---optional grid intake heater Transmission: TH475 with Toyota split T Case---went this option over the 700 R4 due to strength of transmission and hill braking Axles: 3.73 gearing with disk brakes in the front Suspension: Old Man Emu springs and 2.5” shackles Saginaw Power steering Tires: 31” BFG’s---soon to be updated to 33” tires[/FONT]
IMG_1090.JPG
IMG_1091.JPG
IMG_1092.JPG

More photos

Here are a few more shots of the install
IMG_1094.JPG
IMG_1100.JPG
IMG_1098.JPG

And yet a few more Pics

Just a couple more how the truck looks with the B3.3.
IMG_1095.JPG
IMG_1099.JPG
IMG_1097.JPG

Part II

[FONT=&quot]I now live in Central Oregon and have a nice shop for working on rigs ---only having the truck back a very short while---and as any cruiser nut would do I began pulling things apart. I figure if I was going to be driving this truck on a daily basis better that all the electronics work and had a few rattles to take care of. Replaced dimmer switch for the head lights—found that the PO for some odd reason cut the wires for the wiper motors inside the windshield so am in the middle of splicing them back together. Replaced the door window felts as the windows rattled badly. I am raising the bed slightly so that I can fit 33 tires that I have from another rig. I will also be rigging something up so that I can have defrost on the window---tired of looking like a dog with my head hanging out the window when driving on cold days. There is also quite a bit of bondo in the truck as I found out when pushing the truck onto a trailer part of the fender chipped off---but from 15 feet it looks pretty good---so for now I will wait till more of the bondo chips off before doing anything with the paint. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Once I get the other tires on the truck I will get some photos of it in the daylight. I will also give an update on fuel mileage and top cruising speed. But if you are considering a diesel engine for your FJ45 or even 40 I would strongly recommend the B3.3 and having the guys at Proffitt’s do the install. Or if for some reason you are unable to get your rig down to CO and are interested in a Diesel Engine install give me a shout as I now have the space to work on these rigs and am already in the process of installing a B3.3 in a 1960’s era Land Rover and have another FJ45 scheduled for an install as well. [/FONT]

IMG_1088.JPG
IMG_1096.JPG
IMG_1086.JPG

very nice, very nice, I like how you kept a retro style gear shifter in the cab.:clap:

Scott,
Thanks for the kind words concerning Proffitt's Cruisers. Glad you like the truck, it runs pretty good. We are all pretty excied about the B3.3 Cummins. It's a great little engine and will perform quite well in 40's and 45's and even mini-trucks. It may be a little sluggish in the wagons.

We are starting a few more B3.3 Cummins projects here before spring. Both will be using H55F 5 speeds. One will be in a 40 for a local customer and the other will be in a FJ45 SWB pickup for a Land Cruiser collector out of Wyoming. Both should make really nice trucks.

Hey Scott, let me know on what kind of fuel mileage you see out of your 45. We are hoping to see high 20's maybe even 30 out of them.

Glad you like it.
John

Truck looks great!

How do you get a Non-Hwy engine in a vehicle and have it work with the DMV?

It's probably simple since you do not live in California.

What the hell is a "non-hwy" engine? You must have answered your own question - it's a California thing. Seriously, I've never heard of such a thing. I take it to mean engines are classified as road use and/or industrial use due to emissions standards?? What difference would it make what the engine was intended for as long as the tailpipe passes the smog test (which we also don't have here :hillbilly:).

When I talked to a California Bureau of Automotive Repair about a legal swap, they said no off highway engines like refridgeration units or forlifts, same year or newer, produced for the US market and out of a vehicle the has a gvw of 8,500 lbs or less. As far as I know, that means a Mercedes or possibly a wonder bread van that you could prove the gvw on. Welcome to the peoples republic of California!

Nice stuff, Bikerso!

You need to try and make it out for at least one Cascade Cruisers meeting sometime. :D We might have Bend or Bust this year out in your country next month or April. April we have an annual bearing packing party at one of the member's property.

There are actually quite a few diesel land cruiser nuts in Oregon and it would be great to meet up with you some time. A friend and I are starting a 1HZ-T swap into my FJ62 next weekend. He already has a BJ70, BJ75 and a FJ62 with a 13B-T/A440. I have 2 BJ42s, another member has a 4BT huge 60, and another guy in Southern Oregon has a 1HZ in his 60. Unfortunately my 45 is a gasser, and probably will remain that way until it rots away or is converted to electric.

You're welcome to come to Salem and check out my wreck of a hoard anytime.

Cheers- Ken

Scott,
Thanks for the kind words concerning Proffitt's Cruisers. Glad you like the truck, it runs pretty good. We are all pretty excied about the B3.3 Cummins. It's a great little engine and will perform quite well in 40's and 45's and even mini-trucks. It may be a little sluggish in the wagons.

We are starting a few more B3.3 Cummins projects here before spring. Both will be using H55F 5 speeds. One will be in a 40 for a local customer and the other will be in a FJ45 SWB pickup for a Land Cruiser collector out of Wyoming. Both should make really nice trucks.

Hey Scott, let me know on what kind of fuel mileage you see out of your 45. We are hoping to see high 20's maybe even 30 out of them.

Glad you like it.
John

Nice job btw. What are you guys doing for a governor, are those engines not set up for industrial applications for constant rpm use?

Any other mods needed to make it auto friendly?

I make the assumption its a no go without overdrive - can the governor be modified for higher RPM?

How is the vibration?

Lots of questions - but this is pretty exciting news, I have been eyeying those 3.3's for a while.

Bikerso - where you at in C. Oregon?

Top Picture in Post #2 Heavy Duty Non-Road.

What the hell is a "non-hwy" engine? You must have answered your own question - it's a California thing. Seriously, I've never heard of such a thing. I take it to mean engines are classified as road use and/or industrial use due to emissions standards?? What difference would it make what the engine was intended for as long as the tailpipe passes the smog test (which we also don't have here :hillbilly:).

I wish it were that simple. :crybaby:

When I talked to a California Bureau of Automotive Repair about a legal swap, they said no off highway engines like refridgeration units or forlifts, same year or newer, produced for the US market and out of a vehicle the has a gvw of 8,500 lbs or less. As far as I know, that means a Mercedes or possibly a wonder bread van that you could prove the gvw on. Welcome to the peoples republic of California!

Sorry for the highjack. :bang:

Nice job btw. What are you guys doing for a governor, are those engines not set up for industrial applications for constant rpm use?

Any other mods needed to make it auto friendly?

I make the assumption its a no go without overdrive - can the governor be modified for higher RPM?

How is the vibration?

Lots of questions - but this is pretty exciting news, I have been eyeying those 3.3's for a while.

Bikerso - where you at in C. Oregon?

Not really any mods to speak of. The 85 hp injection pump is not an industrial pump, it's for automotive and some equipment use. Hook up a throttle cable and go.

You can mess with the governor a little for more RPM's if you like. Not really necessary but some people like more power. Not a whole lot of info out there for these engines. It's a fairly new swap and starting to get noticed quite a bit.

Scott chose to go with a TH475 which is a heavy duty unit, 3 speed automatic. If I were to use a B3.3L as a daily driver, I would definitely consider a 5 speed or at least an overdrive automatic.

All i got to say is I Like.

It's a fun little engine and I think it will really take off. I was kind of thinking about one myself. Too many projects, too many ideas floating around my head. It would sure make a nice expediton style 40 though. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Looks like the torque values are in line w/ the old F but the HP looks to be way down. How does it perform from a seat of the pants standpoint? Noticeably pokier I'm guessing but would be interested in hearing your firsthand experience.

Got any comments regarding weight difference?

Does it warm up enough that you'll be able to keep your head inside once you get the ducts sorted? Some of the diesels I've had run really cool.

At this time Oregon is pretty easy to do a conversion in unless you live in a DEQ emissions regulated area and your rig is new enough to be required to pass smog.. I don't know all the specifics.

I'd ask some questions but it looks like you have your hands full.. nice set up.

Glad to see there is a lot of interest in this little engine. Some of my reasoning for trying out this engine is that I have a long time experience with 1960's Series II Land Rover---don't start---any way the 109 wheel base model weighs in close to 4000 lbs (about the same as an LV) and is powered by a 2 1/4 liter engine with a BHP of 77 and max torque of 124---although not the peppiest thing in the world; it would move along down the road at 60 MPH without overdrive--even at 7200 feet in Laramie WY. Now the B3.3 having 85 hp and 215 torque would feel like sports car in any of these older stock rigs----people also have to remember that diesels are not gas engines---torque is what matters most---so dont get putoff by the 85 HP.

I happen to have a vehicle equiped with an F engine hooked to a four speeed and I would deffinately say the B3.3 with the 3 speed auto will take it off the line and pull hills much better. John from Proffitts thought the truck was a little noisy when test driving it-(might be getting a little soft in his old age)--but I would say I have now eliminated at least 85 % of the rattling noises in the truck---most due to the PO leaving all the latches for the top rather loose, no door window felt and a coffee can worth of bolts and nuts laying loose in the truck. I think if John now drove the truck he could do it without his ear muffs on. As far as vibration goes I don't think it is any worse than a cold F engine--I know its better than a 4BT.

The truck cruises at 60 to 65 easily running 31" tires and tomarrow I will putting the 33" tires on and running a GPS to verify that my speedo is accurate to get an idea of crusing speed. I don't think the 3 speed auto is a bad choice but I also went with 3.73 gears in the diffs---if you wanted to run 4.11 or higher then you would deffinately need a 4 or 5 speed to keep the RPMs down.

I have been driving my stock 97 dodge 12 valve Cummins with an auto for the past 11 years and I would say that the B3.3 moves the FJ45 with the same umff. It wont suck you in the seat---but has enough power to move you out of the way of the on coming traffic---even on very busy streets.

Currently I am running the stock heating system held together with an old rubber boot, duck tape and some defrost hose and it seems to keep the truck plenty warm---I think it even heats the cab up faster than my 97 Dodge--on cold days unless you are driving 50 miles you had better wear long undies when driving a Dodge Cummins.

The truck and I am located in the Bend, Redmond, Sisters area of Central OR if you are in the area and are currious about what this diesel engine can do. I will try to post a few more picks on Tuesday with the truck in the outdoors.

This is great, a new diesel conversion that sounds reasonably priced. I can't wait to see and hear more about your truck.

Last edited:
I'm liking what is happening with the diesel aftermarket currently. From what I've seen with the 3.3L Cummins 4-cyl. is that they are extremely well built and are NOT intended for average Joe Shmuck driving. They're designed to be used in extremely hostile environments like a mine and is why some mines choose these engines + heavy duty 3 speed autos and put them in their 70 series cruisers. Excellent combination on paper to me, wish I had the chance to actually see one of them and drive it around. Now, as for the engine gov., in theory, you could use one that is for automotive use that allows you to control it with skinny peddle, however I've only seen them as standing gens. with a constant speed gov on them. Oh, how I long to hear a diesel in my cruiser.

On an appearance note, it looks like the two were made for each other.

........ John from Proffitts thought the truck was a little noisy when test driving it-(might be getting a little soft in his old age)--but I would say I have now eliminated at least 85 % of the rattling noises in the truck---most due to the PO leaving all the latches for the top rather loose, no door window felt and a coffee can worth of bolts and nuts laying loose in the truck. I think if John now drove the truck he could do it without his ear muffs on. As far as vibration goes I don't think it is any worse than a cold F engine--I know its better than a 4BT.

Hey now..... I am not that old....32. Yes, I may be getting a little soft having been driving the wife's HDJ80 for a little while now. That 1HDT sure is a nice and quiet engine. And the 80's are oh so quiet and comfy.
I had to toughen up today as I drove the 45 to work in a snow storm with half my windshield in. The windshield gasket finally gave up after 44 years and the windshield fell in. Luckily it hit the rear view mirror but there was a pretty good gap letting some snow in. The inside of the cab and my lap had a dusting of snow.

Glad you got all the rattles out of the 45. It was pretty noisy with no window weather stripping. The B3.3 is a lot quieter than a 4BT. I'd compare it to a 3B. They have about the same rattle and vibration.

I'm liking what is happening with the diesel aftermarket currently. From what I've seen with the 3.3L Cummins 4-cyl. is that they are extremely well built and are NOT intended for average Joe Shmuck driving. They're designed to be used in extremely hostile environments like a mine and is why some mines choose these engines + heavy duty 3 speed autos and put them in their 70 series cruisers. Excellent combination on paper to me, wish I had the chance to actually see one of them and drive it around. Now, as for the engine gov., in theory, you could use one that is for automotive use that allows you to control it with skinny peddle, however I've only seen them as standing gens. with a constant speed gov on them. Oh, how I long to hear a diesel in my cruiser.

On an appearance note, it looks like the two were made for each other.

That is how we started the B3.3 conversions. We acquired some HZJ79 pickups that had the B3.3's in them. From my understanding, the mines were forced to do this as the Toyota diesels no longer comply with MSHA requirements for underground use. So, the mines are now ordering 79 cab/chassis pickups with no engine/tranny/t-case. They are arriving in the States and then being converted to B3.3's.

As mentioned above, there is no industrial governor on these particular models. We are simply ordering these engines and installing them. There are no mods to the injection pump nor governor. Simply hook up a throttle cable and go.

I believe the B3.3 was introduced in 2005. Since 2006, it has won all sorts of awards for reliability and emissions and is MSHA compliant. It's a pretty nice engine and I'm sure it will take off for engine conversions. I have read about a few conversions that have been done. One was done in a Jeep Wrangler and he is reporting 32 mpg with a 5 speed tranny, 33's and 3.70 gears.

Also.... I don't believe that I have stated it in this post but...... Just like our 4BT conversions, the B3.3 conversions are for OFF ROAD USE ONLY. Proffitt's Cruisers does not make any implications or guarantees that these conversions will be legal in your state or local area.

Carry on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom