1998 and later 1FZ-FE engine questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.brian894x4.com
I was wondering if anyone here who has a 1998 or newer Land Cruiser (any model) with a 1FZ-FE could post or share some detailed engine bay photos.

Reason I ask is that I'm over on the 80 series board, and I'm curious about some of the differences between the earlier 80 series 1FZ and the later model versions, including those still in production today. Detailed pictures would be nice, but anything you can share would be nice. Including information on the MAF sensor (part number/pictures) and the newer style header exhaust and ignition system. Also the VVTi head system on the latest models.

I've read in some places that some later model 1FZs didn't use o2 sensors. I'm wonder what was used to control fuel mixture instead? I've also read that the newer headers are stainless? Wondering what they look like. I'm curious about the MAF and its part number, because over on the 80 series board, one of our members has produced a product that allows us to use later model MAF sensors which really seems to improve some of our performance. So, I'm curious what sensor Toyota chose to use on later model 1FZs just to compare.

Thanks much. I did a search on both the 70 and 100 series boards and out on the general net and didn't come up with much.

Ill take some pics of mine tomorow, as far as I know, the most notable difference between the 1FZ-FE found in the 80 series and the one in the 70 series, is that the one in the 70 series doesn't use a distributor for the ignition system, which is great because it wont stall when the engine bay gets wet.

That's the only one I know of, and I've never head of an 1FZ-FE with VVTi, where did you get that info from?

Thanks much, that would be great!

Apparently the newest 1FZ-FEs destined for the Middle Eastern market, like the UAE, have a VVTi head. I've read this from multiple sources and even saw a thread here regarding 2009 models, where it was mentioned, so they are apparently still in production. The VVTi head 1FZ-FE apparently makes 240 h.p. I would love to have one in my rig.

This post makes mention of it still being in production today...post no. 9

https://forum.ih8mud.com/70-series-tech/242153-2009-arrived.html

This Toyota UAE website mentions the same engine...240 h.p.

http://international.toyotauae.com/english/displayContentResource.aspx?contentId=12132

I'm still trying to find the direct VVTi reference. I'll post it when I do.

Are the Venezulian 1FZ engines made in country were they imported from Japan? By the way, is 80 series production over there now or are they still making them? Just curious.

Last edited:
Production of the 80 series ended in 2.007 and the 70 series stopped in 2.008 :crybaby: (due to political reasons/government restriction mostly), now they are only importing the 79 (pickup and bare frame) from Japan. Mine is a 2.008, produced in July (I think) of last year, one of the last FZJ71's assembled in Venezuela :D .

As far as I know, the engines come as a kit from Japan.

I think it's odd that they offer the VVTi only for the middle east, maybe the 240hp figure is a typo? who knows, here in Venezuela the 70 series models imported from Japan were exactly the same as the ones produced here, except for the rear axle (the one made here came with a Dana 60 semi floater), the rims and some minor interior/trim details.

I think there are a couple of members of these forums that are from the middle east, perhaps they can take a picture of their engine so that we can compare them with to mine.

It looks like I must have been mistaken on the VVTi. I've been searching like mad to find the reference I found and so far nothing. However, I've found the 240 h.p. rating on the latest 1FZs in numerous places, including the spec sheets from various Toyota websites. Seems to be limited to the Middle Eastern market, but then they might be only the market left for the 1FZ these days anyway.

What's the official h.p. and torque rating of your engine?

Our 1993-1997 FZJ80 engines were rated at 212 h.p. and 275 ft/lbs torque

I've seen late 1990s, early 2000s Australian 1FZ-FE engines rated at 221 h.p. and 285 ft/lbs of torque

And now the latest engines, at least for the Middle Eastern market is supposedly rated at 240 h.p. and 300 ft/lbs of torque. So far, the only official reference I can find is on the Saudia Arabia website, which is the only website that appears to have current data. I can't read the language, but on the spec sheet referenced here it clearly shows the 1FZ-FE being rated for 240h.p
http://www.toyota.com.sa/cars/new_cars/land_cruiser_70/specs.asp

Here's the english translated version via google translate tools...
http://translate.google.com/transla...uiser_70/specs.asp&sl=ar&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

I did find this online brochure, which is on the Toyota Egypt website, but appears to be outdated as it shows the older body style, but it indicated only 221 h.p.
http://www.toyotaegypt.com.eg/Images/Land Cruiser_tcm250-96870.pdf

Same with with Kuwait website...only rating it at 221 h.p.
http://www.toyota.com.kw/English/toyota_models/lc_pickup/technology.asp

By the way, your rig sounds like one heck of a neat machine! I would love to see pictures of it and the engine.

Last edited:
According to Toyota De Venezuela, the figures for the 1FZ-FE are:

HP/RPM: 220/4600

Torque (Nm/RPM): 384/3600

It does have a catalytic converter.

Here are some pics of mine:
img45202102830fi8.jpg

img45221999143wz4.jpg

img45212350705tf7.jpg

chapa3735455cg3.jpg

I don't have any current pictures, this is from a few months ago, it was a few weeks old in this picture:

machito0334213174aq1.jpg

After it's first trip(all stock, except for the tires):

suciogs4.jpg

Since I took that pic I've added a Safari snorkel, a skidplate to protect the radiator and some other misc accesories, soon Ill get some rock sliders and a 3" OME lift.

By the way, I've been checking out your site for years, it's a great source for LC info and images, you've done a great job :clap:

Last edited:
Wow, the MAF housing area is completely different looking. It really does make me wonder what sensor they use. Do you know what all is housed in side that black box that T's off the intake? It looks much larger than would be needed just to house a sensor.

I also see the FPR line is still there as was stated in the 80 series thread. Interesting stuff for sure, but with a different housing, presumably different sensor and likely different programming of the ECU, it seems we're still guessing.

Anyone know the part number of the airflow sensor in this truck?

GREAT looking truck. Wish we got hardcore toys like that in the states.

Wow, the MAF housing area is completely different looking. It really does make me wonder what sensor they use. Do you know what all is housed in side that black box that T's off the intake? It looks much larger than would be needed just to house a sensor.

Not really, I had assumed it was some sort of water/dust trap.

What's the FPR line you mentioned?

Thanks for posting those pictures, that's absolutely perfect. Beautiful truck and engine and I'm glad to see this wonderful was still in production at least as of last year.

The FPR is the Fuel Pressure Regulator and reason this was mentioned is that we're having a discussion on the 80 series board about a modification that involves swapping MAF sensors and plugging the FPR vacuum connectors. The theory being that the FPR is not needed with the newer sensor, but your engine, being built 11 years after our last one was made, puts that into question, since you obviously have what appears to be the exact same FPR as we do.

As far as that black box on the intake, I'll bet that will turn out to be some kind of resonator box and it probably empty. Otherwise, looking at the EPC data, Toyota did produce an air temp sensor, which is different than our MAF sensors, that might have gone into somewhere. Otherwise, someone on the other board pointed out that instead of a MAF sensor inline with the rubber air intake tube, like our trucks, your rig and possible all other 1998 and newer 1FZ-FEs appear to maybe use a MAP type sensor inside the intake manifold.

There's a lot of differences between your 1FZ-FE and ours. For example, your intake manifold is completely different than our. A totally new design and layout. Obviously, the spark plug coil set up is different as we still have the distributor. I also noticed that your power steering pump fluid resevior appears to be bigger than ours, which is interesting, because our rigs seem to have a problem with power steering fluid overheating quickly.

You also don't appear to have an EGR valve which all of our engines have and has been the source of much debate and even a few problems on our engines. According to Toyota of Australia, which I'm sure used the same motor as yours until recently, the 1FZ-FE upgrades made sometime after 1998 include the following...

Power and torque were improved by adopting longer intake runners, new short-skirt pistons with higher piston rings to reduce dead air volume, an all-stainless steel exhaust system with fabricated headers and new engine electronics.

A revised cylinder head provides enlarged inlet ports and a revised combustion chamber design with increased squish area and larger valve seats.

Fuel system improvements include the adoption of full sequential injection with four-hole injectors and a hot-wire type air-flow meter for greater mixture accuracy.

The improved engine adopts direct ignition with three igniters and multiplex diagnostics.

Direct ignition improves reliability and emissions, and reduces service time.

NVH countermeasures include a redesigned cylinder block, with additional strengthening ribs, and reduced reciprocating mass achieved by adopting lightweight pistons.

Well, what I'm about to tell you will probably make the discussion you guys are having even more interesting: the 80 series produced until 2.007 here in Venezuela still used the distributor in their ignition systems, the 70s got the coil set up in 2.002 but the 80s never got it. Why? I have no idea. There might be other differences between their 1fz-fe and ours.

This is an engine bay picture of a 2.007 80:

autanail4.jpg

Sorry it's low res, but I got it off the internet, it's not mine.

Last edited:
Now, that is wild, because judging from the picture, that engine is nearly identical to ours in every way I can see.

The intake manifold is the same as ours, obviously the distributor, but it also appears to have an EGR valve, which is kind of strange for your market and it appears to have the same or similiar type MAF sensor.

Do you have access to the power ratings of the Venezualian 80 series? Are they less than your model, like around 212 h.p? That would make sense if they were. It would appear for some reason, the 80 series got the old motor, while the 70 series got the updated motor. Funny that they would still produce both the old and new motor at the same time, but then Toyota has suppliers that make old and new versions of the same engine as replacement engines, and if the Venzualian 80 was a relatively low production volume model, then it might have just been easier to continue building the 80 in 2007 just as they were being made back in 1997.

Very interesting stuff.

Sadly, no, I don't have those figures.

Here the 80 series came with carburated motors up until 1.997 (I think, not 100% sure on the date), after that they came with the engine you see in the picture.

70 series on the other hand first came with the 3F, then in 93 they switched to the 4.5l carburated, then in 2.001 they switched to the fuel injected version BUT it still had a distributor and the intake manifold looked exactly like the one in the 80 series, and then in 2.002 they switched to the 1fz-fe version that we have today, I have no idea why they didn't just wait until 2.002 to switch from carburated to EFI and also the coil ignition all at once.

Here is a picture of a 2.001 FZJ70 engine bay:
machito2001nu7.jpg

I wonder what the h.p. rating on the carbed version was. As far as why they would use two different versions of the 1FZ, that is a very good question.

I wonder if it was a compatability issue, where it just easier to continue with the older motor in the 80 series. Maybe the new intake doesn't fit inside the engine bay as well and hits the hood so they just continued production with the older motor and intake?

Could also be that they only had so many of the new engines to go around and maybe markets like Australia and the Middle East got priority and you guys might have got stuck with the older engine parts for a while and they just elected to put them in the 80 series?

Could also be that since the 70 series was still in production in Japan, they considered it a current model and was updating it, including updated engineering minor parts and the new engine. After all, they did revised a number of things about the 70 series long after the Japanese 80 series production line shut down, like updating the front and rear suspensions. Whereas the 80 series wasn't technically a current model and wasn't part of any reengineering program probably, so they continued to build it exactly as they had since 1997 to keep things simple and easy.

Now that I think about it, I think I'll go with that last explaination as my best guess.

Very interesting situation.

Thanks so much for sharing those pictures and info.

Last edited:
Hello Bryan,

The 1FZ-FE was designed with an ECU in mind right from the start.

Design was aimed at producing an improved engine, about the same size as the 3F, with more power, fuel injection, efficient lubrication and good fuel economy.

The design and size is based on the 3F engine. The engine block is treated to handle vibrations and stresses better. Aluminum is used throughout the engine, especially in a double chamber oil pan and the cylinder head.

As you mention, pistons have skirts to allow for a friction reduction, as well as an additional lubrication circuit that injects oil into the pistons.

All the intake manifold conducts have the same length to improve combustion, The EGR system has some improvements, too.

These and other features are described in a SAE paper from 1993:

http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/930876

By the way, the paper rates the power at 212 HP at 4600 rpm.

The original design included an ECU module. However, there are carbureted versions, which might suggest that a simplified (i.e., non-EFI) was made available for certain models, namely series 70 and 80. Or maybe the ECU module was not ready by the time Toyota introduced this engine, and it was included later (1998 onwards?)

Hope this helps.

JuanJ

Hi Brian

The 1FZ FE 4500 engine is alive and well and living in South Africa. Here is photo of my 2003 79 model. Looks nearly the same as yours, but since our steering wheel is on the right side ( as opposed to the wrong side ) some of the ancillaries are different. The 100 series were made with these engines as well until it was sadly discontinued here in favour of the 200. We do still get the engine in the 70 pick-ups and they are known to be very reliable, powerful and thirsty. Rated qt 174 kilowatt ( ? horse power )
cruiser2.jpg
Engine.jpg
Engine2.jpg

That's 233 HP, which is quite a bit of POWAH! That's saying something from an engine design who's basics were designed 20 years ago.

I have a 2008 79 series with 1FZ-FE.

Here are the specs from UAE dealer:

Toyota UAE

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Specifications:
  • Land Cruiser Pick - up, Standard Grade, 2 Door, 5 speed manual transmission (TY04028 & TY04048)
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Performance Data:[/FONT]
  • Engine - 4.5 litre, 4477cc, 6 cylinder in - line, 24 valve, EFi, Unleaded with Catalytic Convertor
  • Power - 240HP/4600 rpm
  • Torque - 41.5kg - m/3600 rpm
  • Gross Weight (approx): 3200kgs
  • Kerb Weight (approx): 2265kgs
[/FONT]

I have all the intake side of things pulled apart at the moment because I am fitting a supercharger.

One other thing that different between 80 series and 79 series engines is the bolt pattern on the throttle body to intake manifold.

Let me know if you need anything else, because it is easy to access mine at the moment.

In Australia. My borther has a 1997 one of the last 80 SERIES with the 1FZ-FE which has as air flow meter and dizzy and larger power steering pump yet my 2000 fzj 79 with 1FZ-FE has no air flow meter and coil packs.the exhaust manifolds are the same. as said above, a carby 4.5 i would like to see some pics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom