high vacuum building up in my fuel tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mike

82bj42 1st project
Threads
What can be the cause of high vacuum building up in my 87hj60 fuel tank? I can bearly remove the fuel cap when I go for refueling.
Thx Inadvance

Go the right tank cap on?

I'm not sure. This cap came with the truck. I will purchase a new one from Toyota to see if it makes a difference. Thx

mine does the same( 87 bj70, but similar deal)

I know the reason mine does it, there's a pile of vent lines that come off the tank, and some of them were rotted off so I plugged them so crap didn't get into the tank. Ever since, big vaccuum, gas cap is a bitch to get off, but doesn't seem to affect the way the truck runs, so I can live with it.

So, I'd have a look at the other lines that come off your tank.

mine does the same( 87 bj70, but similar deal)

I know the reason mine does it, there's a pile of vent lines that come off the tank, and some of them were rotted off so I plugged them so crap didn't get into the tank. Ever since, big vaccuum, gas cap is a bitch to get off, but doesn't seem to affect the way the truck runs, so I can live with it.

So, I'd have a look at the other lines that come off your tank.

Good idea, I'll have a look at all the metal lines that come off the fuel vapour separator. Thx

Good idea, I'll have a look at all the metal lines that come off the fuel vapour separator. Thx

I found the problem-- your right. One of the steel line's ends was pluged up. I unpluged it and the tank's pressure is normal again. Thx

Another good solution to that problem is to drill a small hole in the fuel cap.

I just replaced my tank and 2 of the lines on the truck were rotted so I plugged the hoses as well.
Looks like another one is leaking so I will have to plug that as well! Truck runs fine but could you not also run a hose up into the body somewhere? The gas cap idea sounds like it would be good to. So are the vent lines only so that the tank does not implode?

I just replaced my tank and 2 of the lines on the truck were rotted so I plugged the hoses as well.
Looks like another one is leaking so I will have to plug that as well! Truck runs fine but could you not also run a hose up into the body somewhere? The gas cap idea sounds like it would be good to. So are the vent lines only so that the tank does not implode?

The imploding is a defineate reason for the one of the vent lines----the longer on that goes over the rear axel. My tank has normal pressure after unpluging that long vent line.

Are you talking about the steel line that does a loop and then goes under the body to the drivers side?
Mine is just rusty so I cut it shorter several years ago. Never had a problem.

That's the one. I cut mine shorter also. Mines working fine now. Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom