power stearing fluid in the brake fluid reservoir (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:doh::mad: I am a very smart man. I save money by doing things myself and not bringing it to a dealer.

:censor:

Problem: so the front brakes have felt like they have the brakes on when I drive and slowly getting worse.
solution: take it to a friend to get fixed
Problem: he says that the brake fluid is dirty and needs to be flushed and to go to Just Brakes and for $30~ they can do it
solution: I go to Just Brakes and they guy tells and shows me how my brake fluid is oily and floats on water. (total rebuild $1500+ all the gaskets ABS system etc.:bang:)

Problem: I will admidt it, I put power stearing fluid into the brake reservoir. not my finest hour
Solution: you guys get to tell me how much I saved by doing my own work/ How much I spent on this verry important lesson that I just learned.

so whats to do guys? how do I make it right?

so the good news first I havent been driving the car long after the flub up. and its parked for good now.

easy way open all bleeder values and go hit brake pedal a few times, fill up with brake fluid and repeat until you have ran at least a small bottle of fluid through the system. (maybe a large bottle)

you will have a mess under the truck on the floor but you can clean it up.

then close all bleeders and then bleed properly.

Last edited:
easy way open all bleeder values and go hit BRAKE pedal a few times, fill up with brake fluid and repeat until you have ran at least a small bottle of fluid through the system. (maybe a large bottle)

you will have a mess under the truck on the floor but you can clean it up.

then close all bleeders and then bleed properly.

Fixed it for you. :D

I would bleed it through with all new fluid asap--Several liters. It's probably too late, though and all of the rubber parts of the brake system have absorbed oil and are thus ruined. That sucks. Plus, it's your brakes, so they have to be perfect.

If you have to repair it, you're looking at a new Master, and new calipers on all 4 wheels. The big question will be the ABS actuator, but you could buy Beno's and install it and not worry about it.

Expensive lesson. Very big bummer, I'm feeling your pain from here.

Ironically, water would have been a better choice than power steering fluid in this application.

Can you share with us how the deed was done?

I would bleed it through with all new fluid asap--Several liters. It's probably too late, though and all of the rubber parts of the brake system have absorbed oil and are thus ruined. That sucks. Plus, it's your brakes, so they have to be perfect.

If you have to repair it, you're looking at a new Master, and new calipers on all 4 wheels. The big question will be the ABS actuator, but you could buy Beno's and install it and not worry about it.

Expensive lesson. Very big bummer, I'm feeling your pain from here.

Ironically, water would have been a better choice than power steering fluid in this application.

Can you share with us how the deed was done?

x2.

The ABS control box alone is $2000+ or so from Dan even with a discount.

Calipers are not too bad.

MC is kinda pricey.

Then you have all of your brake lines which will need to be cleansed...brake cleaner would work, but you are going to have to flush the system with something that will get rid of the oily-ness of the PS fluid.

This is going to be a tough one Otto.

[I do have an ABS box I am looking to get rid of with all of the connectors. PM me if interested :) ]

Good luck dude.
-o-

I am thinking a really good flush should take care of any residue in the system, I mean really good.

I am thinking a really good flush should take care of any residue in the system, I mean really good.

Yes, but how does the flush get the oil that has soaked into the rubber seals? I'd do it quick and then cross fingers, rub a rabbit's foot, pray toward Mecca, sacrifice a chicken, anoint myself with oil. And then see what happens.

The rubber o-rings/seals/boots in the calipers and master cylinder aren't rated for oil, when oil touches them they swell causing them to stick. The fix is to get kits and reseal all of them. I have rarely seen it affect the lines. I haven't had an ABS actuator apart, so don't know if it has that type of seals to be affected, but ones that I have heard of lived.

If it were mine, I would flush as soon as possible. Remove the cylinders, clean, reseal, install, bleed and test for any other problems. Pretty much any of the other systems on the rig are relatively tolerant of wrong fluid, the brakes as you found out are the exception, oil in them will cause lots of work/$$$.:eek:

Yes, but how does the flush get the oil that has soaked into the rubber seals? I'd do it quick and then cross fingers, rub a rabbit's foot, pray toward Mecca, sacrifice a chicken, anoint myself with oil. And then see what happens.

Yeah, I was reading his post wrong. I was thinking he was topping off the reservoir. At a minimum pull apart a caliper and check the piston seals.

If you have an air compressor, Harbor Freight sells a power bleeder for about $30. It will bleed a lot of fluid rather quickly

Harsh. I can see how someone could make the mistake if they had a bottle of power steering fluid sitting around. IIRC (its probably been 20 years since I have bought "power steering fluid") the bottles are similar in shape to brake fluid bottles.

Next time you need power steering fluid use synthetic ATF. It is better than power steering fluid, its what is called for on the power steering reservoir cap, and it comes in a bottle that looks completely different than brake fluid bottles.

Sounds like you are probably SOL. But I would try to flush it real good like others have said. Then, in a few days, I would flush it again. After that, see how it does and watch for leaks. If you are lucky you won't have to replace everything, immediately.

thanks for the info guys... PS my wife now knows, she is getting a VERY GOOD PRESENT for christmas because of this. and I have always wanted Slee's off road brake line. we will see if that happens.

as for how it happened. I am kinda baffeled too. the names on the bottles are different, they are different sizes. Momentary laps of reason is all I can say. I will let you know how it goes.

thanks for the info guys... PS my wife now knows, she is getting a VERY GOOD PRESENT for christmas because of this. and I have always wanted Slee's off road brake line. we will see if that happens.

as for how it happened. I am kinda baffeled too. the names on the bottles are different, they are different sizes. Momentary laps of reason is all I can say. I will let you know how it goes.
If it makes you feel better I had Power steerign fluid in my brakes too.
Somebody had borrowed my car and decided to do me a favor and top of low level of brake fluid. :bang:
Apparently since both bottles have "fluid" on them makes somebody so confused that he grabs a power steering fluid and dumps into brake system:rolleyes:
I find out when car was given back to me with the note
"Retard: BTW brakes feel weird, fluid was low so I top off with brake fluid you had in the trunk
Me: What brake fluid ? I had only power steering fluid?
Retard: Aren't they the same
ME: :censor: :censor: :censor:
and stay the hell out of my car..
"

However, I did not replace anything I just bleed brakes with 4 qt of fresh brake fluid. Brakes and ABS works great.

If it makes you feel better I had Power steerign fluid in my brakes too.
Somebody had borrowed my car and decided to do me a favor and top of low level of brake fluid. :bang:
Apparently since both bottles have "fluid" on them makes somebody so confused that he grabs a power steering fluid and dumps into brake system:rolleyes:
I find out when car was given back to me with the note
"Retard: BTW brakes feel weird, fluid was low so I top off with brake fluid you had in the trunk
Me: What brake fluid ? I had only power steering fluid?
Retard: Aren't they the same
ME: :censor: :censor: :censor:
and stay the hell out of my car..
"

However, I did not replace anything I just bleed brakes with 4 qt of fresh brake fluid. Brakes and ABS works great.

it is christmas and miracles do come true.

it is christmas and miracles do come true.
Honestly I would bleed all 4 wheels while adding the brake fluid and dont really think about replacing anything.
When bleeding brakes, You will know when to stop since there will be no oil bubbles in the brake fluid coming out. Use clear bottle to collect fluid (water bottle) so you can see what is coming out.
Bleed them and drive around keeping your speed low. Check reservoir for oil. If you see oil on the top of brake fluid just siphon out. I used that thing to spray turkey while is roasting.
I think company telling you that you need to spend $1500 on replacement is a BS. Your truck is 93 LC that thing can use piss as the brake fluid and not get damaged
:cheers:

I don't know about a 93 but 96 has 5 bleeders including the one on the LSVP or whatever it's called. I don't know if bleeding the MC would make any difference.

UPDATE: December 12
I just ran 24oz. of brake fluid through the lines with only one person some medical tubing and a milk jug. I ran it until the liquid from the bleeders (there are 4 (that I know of)) were clear. I am now waiting on the wife to come home and work the brakes for the remaining 8oz. I will try out the brakes then and let you know. I would anticipate ALOT MORE fluid going through the system. lets hope for the best... but plan for the worst.

took it out for a 2 mile test drive and the symtoms remain the same. on to the rubber gaskets.

Last edited:
There is a fifth bleeder on the LSPV that you should also bleed. The LSPV is on the driver's side directly behind the gas tank, and the bleeder points across the truck towards the passenger side. HTH!

Personally, I would not be satisfied with braking performance if it wasn't as it was before this boo-boo. Please do be safe and rebuild at least the calipers with new seals and boots. I think you really need to.

-o-

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom