Stihl chainsaw won't idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's the story,

I bought this 12-13 years ago. Cost me $399.95 I'll remember that forever because I was so excited to buy my own Stihl. :D

I didn't use it for a few years, didn't winterize it.... usual bone head stuff. Anyways, it started running crappy a couple of years ago, wouldn't stay running at low or mid range rpms, only at WOT.. so I borrowed the neighbors saw to finish what I was doing, put it in the shed and left it 'till this spring.

I just figured it was the carb, so I bought a carb kit from the local Stihl shop. While I was there, I also bought a new fuel line and fuel filter.

The carb kit and filter didn't help and knew I was going to be needed it running by this summer so I broke down and had my dad take it to a shop. Not the Stihl shop, mind you... Another shop that my dad said did good work on a couple of things he took them... Bonehead move. :doh:

They installed another carb kit and fuel filter. I started it up when I got it home and it ran perfect. I just fired it up for a minute to see if it ran good, but didn't check the idle. I just figured it was good.

Anyways, now it runs great, other than I have to keep on the gas a little if I want it to stay idling. It runs very strong.

PICT0012.jpg

PICT0015.jpg

PICT0019.jpg

PICT0017.jpg

Do you have a Tachometer?

In you picture the big screw marked LA is the one that controls the throttle plate and idle speed. Turn that in (clockwise) a little bit and you idle should increase.

You do not want your chain turning at idle, that means your idle is too fast.

Clean your air filter, etc before you make any adjsutments.

Do you have a Tachometer?

In you picture the big screw marked LA is the one that controls the throttle plate and idle speed. Turn that in (clockwise) a little bit and you idle should increase.

You do not want your chain turning at idle, that means your idle is too fast.

Clean your air filter, etc before you make any adjsutments.

Cool, I'll do that today and report back how it worked. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom