real time broken (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

timmbuck2

SILVER Star
Threads
The last week or so I noticed my steering was getting loose. Thought it was from the hit and run accident and the used steering box I put in. On the way to go take the boy ice skating and this is what I find. My weekend just got much longer and lots of stuff canceled. Sigh.
frown.gif
That is all watered down grease in the puddle....and come to think of it I have been driving through a lot of water lately...going out to tear it down and take more pics. Did I mention I have tons of beer?????
beer.gif
beer.gif
beer.gif
beer.gif
beer.gif

IMG_5228.jpg
IMG_5230.jpg
IMG_5231.jpg

Did you have a knuckle stud failure? It looks like there is a gap in there.

yup...bolts on the bottom were seriously loose...I think 1 is missing....wonder if that caused the leak or did the leak make the bolts loose?

8 knuckle studs and nuts and cone washers waiting for me at stevinson...waiting to find out if I need a birf kit...

Wiper, 43204-60031
Inner seal, 90310-35010
Trunion bearings, 90366-20003
Spindle gaskets, 43435-60020, 43436-60011
Spindle dust seal, 90313-93003
Drive flange gasket, 43422-60060
Outer snap ring, 90520-31007
Wheel bearing seal, 90311-62001
Lock tab washer, 90215-42025

i think this is all I need....did not do the trunion bearings last time

Classic RH-steering-arm-stud-back-off.

I do not recall ever seeing this on the LH side.

Anyone?

Wiper, 43204-60031
Inner seal, 90310-35010
Trunion bearings, 90366-20003
Spindle gaskets, 43435-60020, 43436-60011
Spindle dust seal, 90313-93003
Drive flange gasket, 43422-60060
Outer snap ring, 90520-31007
Wheel bearing seal, 90311-62001
Lock tab washer, 90215-42025

i think this is all I need....did not do the trunion bearings last time

Get new studs too. 90126-12005 x4

yup, thanks CD. Got the studs, nuts, and cone washers. Double checked them with your part numbers. :) Thanks!!!

Mine was close. I replaced the studs on the RH side yesterday, two studs were kinda loose and one was broken.

Mine was close. I replaced the studs on the RH side yesterday, two studs were kinda loose and one was broken.

just curious if this was as easy as it seems. do you just double-nut one of the old studs, back the stud out (after removing the washer/cone washer) and put a new torx stud in? then repeat x 3?

yup...bolts on the bottom were seriously loose...I think 1 is missing....wonder if that caused the leak or did the leak make the bolts loose?

looks like it may have been leaking before. looseness will cause leaking becuase everything is allowed to move up/down/all around and that stresses the seal.

just curious if this was as easy as it seems. do you just double-nut one of the old studs, back the stud out (after removing the washer/cone washer) and put a new torx stud in? then repeat x 3?

Yup. Put new Torx stud in, torque to 30-35 ft/lbs (that's what I did); put on cone washer, flat washer, and nut; torque nut to 71 ft/lbs.

Pretty simple if no studs are broken.

So I dug into replacing my knuckle studs and re-doing all my front axle work. Everything went great (awesome FAQ Romer!!! thanks!!) until I went to install the new trunion bearings and races. WRONG ones!! GRRRR....I double checked his part numbers on the invoice against the list I had from CDan, and they matched....but he grabbed the wrong ones. So now it is 6 on a Saturday and I am stuck until Monday morning...unless anyone nearby has a pair they can let me borrow?? Highly doubtful, but thought I would try...

Have a great weekend all, hope your halloween was good.

T

So I dug into replacing my knuckle studs and re-doing all my front axle work. Everything went great (awesome FAQ Romer!!! thanks!!) until I went to install the new trunion bearings and races. WRONG ones!! GRRRR....I double checked his part numbers on the invoice against the list I had from CDan, and they matched....but he grabbed the wrong ones. So now it is 6 on a Saturday and I am stuck until Monday morning...unless anyone nearby has a pair they can let me borrow?? Highly doubtful, but thought I would try...

T

Lets just call that karma for not purchasing from CDan the Shamen. :D jk Thats a bummer, hope you can get some correct ones soon.

With regard to left side failure: I noticed my left knuckle had some clear amber drips of oil-like material on them. I have about 1K miles on the birf rebuild. The right side is fine. I can't see a noticeable gap on the left side, but the fact that there is a clear fluid dripping concerns me.

Could this be the valvoline synthetic moly grease separating out and the oil leaking? It's definitely not diff oil and it is more of an amber/motor oil color.

T

Which "he" grabbed the wrong ones? It sounds as though you are referring to me but I do not recall supplying them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom