08 Tacoma, oil preference (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A quick question. I bought a 2008 Tacoma (double-cab, long bed, TRD, Sports pkg), all stock, no mods, and my engine-check light has lit up again. Since there hasn't been any strange noises (and since it is time) I'm sure it's telling me to get an oil change. The first oil change I opted for the 20W-50 rather than their usual, the same I used in my parents' '89 Toyota pickup. Are there any suggestions for a different type of oil?

Also, is there any indication of what's wrong when the Check Engine light goes on? I prefer the way it was with the old truck, where if something was wrong, it was obvious in the performance or the sound the engine made.

A quick question. I bought a 2008 Tacoma (double-cab, long bed, TRD, Sports pkg), all stock, no mods, and my engine-check light has lit up again. Since there hasn't been any strange noises (and since it is time) I'm sure it's telling me to get an oil change. The first oil change I opted for the 20W-50 rather than their usual, the same I used in my parents' '89 Toyota pickup. Are there any suggestions for a different type of oil?

Also, is there any indication of what's wrong when the Check Engine light goes on? I prefer the way it was with the old truck, where if something was wrong, it was obvious in the performance or the sound the engine made.

I am positive 20w-50 is not the specified oil weight for a 4.0L v6 (it is a 4.0, yes?)

Look in the owners manual for the proper weight.

As far as oil goes, I would run Mobil 1 full syn. w/ Toyota factory filters.

Isn't that beast under a warranty? I would have it back to Toyota for the check engine light, but not before changing the oil back to the proper weight.

Most new Toyota engines use 5W30, definitely the V6 4.0. The oil you are using are for the old school engines, new engines don't take the high viscosity oil any more. After about 10K miles you will be well served by a good syn oil, if you can find it cheap. Otherwise just a good quality normal oil will do.

I prefer Mobil1 full syn oil, as it keeps the engine clean, and I normally get good prices at Costco on it.

As to the check engine light, you can disconnect the battery and see if it goes away. I prefer to read the actual code to see what is being reported. A lot of times it is the gas cap that wasn't tightened properly.

I am positive 20w-50 is not the specified oil weight for a 4.0L v6 (it is a 4.0, yes?)

Look in the owners manual for the proper weight.

As far as oil goes, I would run Mobil 1 full syn. w/ Toyota factory filters.

Isn't that beast under a warranty? I would have it back to Toyota for the check engine light, but not before changing the oil back to the proper weight.

You're right. Although I was sure I asked for that on my first oil change, they had put in 5W-30, so I had them use that for the second oil change.

The Check Engine light went off, but I was curious if I could determine a problem if it goes on without having to take it in. On this occurrence I knew my truck needed an oil change, but what if it were to happen before it was time for my next one and I can't sense any problems with the truck's performance.

Oil change shouldn't trigger a CEL. It could be something major or something as simple as not tightening down your gas cap. Next time it comes on, take it to the dealership or Autozone so they can pull the code.

Now, I hope you're not talking about the maintenance reminder? Not the Check Engine Light? Not calling you an idiot, but just covering all of the bases. :D

Also, I currently run Amsoil 5w-30 in my truck with their Ea filter. Runs butter smooth. I used to use M1 in my past trucks and cars. I noticed that M1's oil is on the very thin side and would burn up more than a conventional oil or other synthetic oils. Also, some of the tests that were done comparing it to other synthetics came back unfavorable, so I stopped using it. They make good oils, but for the price, I can buy Amsoil, so that's what I've switched to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom