smells like gas in my rad :( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There s also brown(oil)
could it just be that it ran real rich or am i looking @ another pricier issue.

Should I flush and see what happens,drive around with water for a bit?

thanks
MA

I'd look for other signs that the head gasket took a dump, or even the oil cooler is bad.

Oil Cooler x2...Bypass it temporarily

The fuel smell in the radiator concerns me and makes me think that it might be more than the oil cooler, and be more like a head gasket or cracked head. But certainly do the easy troubleshooting first.

I also think the fuel pump is leaking gas into the crankcase if it is not then your rig is running really rich. ...but yep its time to do a compression check.

Although the gas smell in the Rad pretty much nails it, there is a kit you can buy from Napa to confirm the problem:

Head Gasket or Combustion Leak Test Procedure (Gasoline Engines Only)

Then you could do a "Leak Down" test, somewhat like a combustiuon test but gives you a much better picture of what is going on in the motor as you can monitor how much air pressure escapes from a cylinder and more importantly in your case... find out where the air goes... If you get bubbles in the rad as I suspect then you will have to address it.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0406_cylinder_leakdown_tester/index.html

Mark

I also think the fuel pump is leaking gas into the crankcase if it is not then your rig is running really rich. ...but yep its time to do a compression check.

Duh, forgot some of these weren't injected and had a fuel pump attached to the block. Had that problem on an old cherokee a while back. :rolleyes:

Like everyone else says, though, it's time for at least a compression check. While it's possible a few things could fail at the same time, it's a lot more likely that it's just one thing causing all the symptoms.

environment + procedure

Although the gas smell in the Rad pretty much nails it, there is a kit you can buy from Napa to confirm the problem:

Head Gasket or Combustion Leak Test Procedure (Gasoline Engines Only)

Then you coul...... "Leak Down" .

How to do Cylinder Leak Down Testing- Car Craft Magazine

Mark

good one
do not have that tool NEED it :)

PRIOR to starting this project:
`search...read
` located some canisters. To bleed/clean the fj60(lot's of liters/gallons of pollute)
read /searched

running RICK it was. Carb ,air intake... everything THE smell from the exhaust

Duh, forgot some of these weren't injected and had a fuel pump attached to the block. Had that problem on an old cherokee a while back. :rolleyes:

good thing

Like everyone else says, though, it's time for at least a compression check. While it's possible a few things could fail at the same time, it's a lot more likely that it's just one thing causing all the symptoms.

Compression
1 @125
2 @ 130

I stop compression testing. Get depressed quick

no matter,LC ran b4,senses got invovled oil,gaz,green or yellow red but it RAN

Really needed canisters to dump the oil,gaz,green or yellow red drainage

+++ decided to be a wire guy... groundin... to be followed

PS WOW thanks for the tips and postings! and PICS:bounce:

Oil Cooler x2...Bypass it temporarily

the oil on the stick is brown? radiator smells like gas. does it shoot water out the filler neck when the cap is off and running?

pull the head-

oh and good luck

matt

oil inside engine, actually dipstick was pretty good,but PO could of changed it a month earlier

Didn't boil over No

I changed(garage) when I got certification done. Along with ALL fluids besides :eek: rad.
I ll double verfy if THEY did the job,paid cash to save 15% rear,transfer case,grease every greaseable'S.

Then I get more familliar with my FJ60

No Steam out of muffler

FJ60 2F I ll attempt pulling(heads+gaskets/boats:)) crammin(stuff),stompin(anyt'in),pushin(more)climbin(higher) now to get it started! no more CLIKKs please

X2^ Chocolate Milk looking anti-freeze means oil got in there somehow. Do a compression check first and see where it leads you.

you mean

"Leak Down" test,

Mark[/QUOTE]

I changed(garage) when I got certification done. Along with ALL fluids besides :eek: rad.
I ll double verfy if THEY did the job,paid cash to save 15% rear,transfer case,grease every greaseable'S.

Then I get more familliar with my FJ60

No Steam out of muffler

FJ60 2F I ll attempt pulling(heads+gaskets/boats:)) crammin(stuff),stompin(anyt'in),pushin(more)climbin(higher) now to get it started! no more CLIKKs please

Mark
[/QUOTE]

uh..... huh?

I think Tntoyota/Hilux has a Canadian cousin.

I think Tntoyota/Hilux has a Canadian cousin.
:doh:
FJ60LG-K4, slow down bud. We're losing you. Personally, I don't know whether you're asking for more help, or just sharing your inner dialog with us? Good luck with your project, either way.:steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom