FJ 80 Long Range Fuel Tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone sell a simple long range fuel tank for the 80? I don't want an aux tank, I just want a larger capacity fuel tank to replae my OEM unit.

Ideas?

Man a Fre sells them but they only order batches every 2-3 months and units are presold. 38 gal tank for stock location. You can look i my current leaky gas tank thread and see other manufactures but they are all from across the pond. Call Man a fre and they can quote you a price as its not listed on their site.

Thanks jfz80 & 1031. I am a big a plug and play fan, and the idea of having 2 tanks or 1 big one, I would prefer to just hang one tank.

I'll call Fre on Monday.

Last edited:
You may want to do some more searching on that 38 gallon replacement tank (not the aux tank) before making a leap. I heard some folks love it, but it is not without issues.

Issues I've read about here include:

1) makes some type of "burbing" "gurgling" noise (sounds strange, but that's what I've read here on MUD)
2) you lose some clearance (it hangs like 2 inches or so lower than the frame rails)
3) it's a non-trivial install; again, based on what I read here.

So, not saying don't get it. Just saying read up before you leap.

check it out first

Not trying to be negative, but you should really check out the 38 gallon tank before opting for it over a subtank.. The subtank install is not really that difficult and I believe the cost difference between the two is negligible. I saw the 38 gallon tank and much preferred a subtank. MAF also sells subtanks in 24 and 34 gallon IIRC.

Make sure they pressure test the tank... mine is from Man a Fre and it had a leak.... they only warranty the tank for 3 months, so i had to have it welded by another shop!!..... this left me with a bad taste in my mouth, but it's just my 2 cents!!

Thanks for all of the input, it is invaluable.

As for the install of the aux tank, I think it is as complicated as it gets, did you read Elmanchari's write up? Between the finding a filler neck, installing the switches, plumbing and the wiring it seems to be a little deep for the novice. I'm looking for something a little more easy to install without all of the associated pain.

It looks like there are 2 issues with this tank, the first is that it hangs a little low and and the second issue is that you have to mod the fuel pump. As for the burping, I have been known to burb and pass a little gas on occasion and if my 80 wants to do it, I don't have a problem with it. So long as I don't look like a Roman Candle when it burps everything will be OK.

I too would like a little more fuel capacity without too complicated of an install.

As for the install of the aux tank, I think it is as complicated as it gets, did you read Elmanchari's write up? Between the finding a filler neck, installing the switches, plumbing and the wiring it seems to be a little deep for the novice. I'm looking for something a little more easy to install without all of the associated pain.

It looks like there are 2 issues with this tank, the first is that it hangs a little low and and the second issue is that you have to mod the fuel pump. As for the burping, I have been known to burb and pass a little gas on occasion and if my 80 wants to do it, I don't have a problem with it. So long as I don't look like a Roman Candle when it burps everything will be OK.

MAF was supposed to talk to the manufacturer of the larger main tank and ask them to install some baffles to mitigate to burping issue. Whether this ever happened I don’t know. The larger tank comes with new strap hangers; one of which requires locating and drilling a hole in the back floor for a plate/stud bracket. I can’t remember if the second row seats are supposed to come out or not as mine never had any.
Keep in mind the expense of buying this tank, removing the stock tank, extending the fuel pump bracket, wires, fuel pump hose, extending the fuel level float, low fuel warning, removing seats and carpet, drilling the floor, etc, etc, gains 13 gallons more than the stock tank. Just trying to say its not exactly a direct bolt in.

Bill

I crunched the numbers last night on fuel.

On any given day you can safely use 20 out of 24 or 34 out of 38 gallons, I like a little cushion. On perfectly flat terrain you are lucky if you can go 60 miles on 4 gallons (ironically in my TDI 4 gallons is about 200 miles!)

20 x 15mpg = 300 miles
34 x 15mpg = 510 miles

On a recent trip to the Outer Banks, I average 15 on the road, when I got into the sand the mileage went to the basement.

I'm not sure if the big tank is way to go, also you are going to have to factor in the cost of a suspension adjustment as well.

Campoj,
Take a look at Romer's install. He did a great job of going over what is required. El mariachi did a great job as well but he was trying to trying to go the route of using the original subtank computer. This definately made it more complicated. Without inclusion of this all the other stuff is straightforward. If I wasn't going to keep my spare under the truck I would have looked at the 24 gallon sub fuel that MAF sells. Then you would have

I'll research Romers write up, El Mariachi's install was doctorate/thesis level work, something I am not going to get into.

:grinpimp: or u guys could spend a week in golden and have christo and joe install it...lol.....just got back from getting mine done....100% OEM MAIN TANK, SUB TANK, OVERHEAD CONSOLE, AND WIRING

Campoj,
Take a look at Romer's install. He did a great job of going over what is required. El mariachi did a great job as well but he was trying to trying to go the route of using the original subtank computer. This definately made it more complicated. Without inclusion of this all the other stuff is straightforward. If I wasn't going to keep my spare under the truck I would have looked at the 24 gallon sub fuel that MAF sells. Then you would have

I had the 38gal man-a-fre replacement tank installed and it originally made noise and sounded like it moved around a little. Eventually wrapped the straps and any metal2metal surfaces with flat rubber and it has been trouble free since.

I've decided to just go to the gas station after reading these threads :flipoff2:

I crunched the numbers last night on fuel.

On any given day you can safely use 20 out of 24 or 34 out of 38 gallons, I like a little cushion. On perfectly flat terrain you are lucky if you can go 60 miles on 4 gallons (ironically in my TDI 4 gallons is about 200 miles!)

20 x 15mpg = 300 miles
34 x 15mpg = 510 miles

On a recent trip to the Outer Banks, I average 15 on the road, when I got into the sand the mileage went to the basement.

I'm not sure if the big tank is way to go, also you are going to have to factor in the cost of a suspension adjustment as well.

15 mpg!:flipoff2:

:grinpimp: or u guys could spend a week in golden and have christo and joe install it...lol.....just got back from getting mine done....100% OEM MAIN TANK, SUB TANK, OVERHEAD CONSOLE, AND WIRING

Ok don't tease, what did this set you back?

if you have a look on the aussie arb and opposite lock web sites they have larger OEM and AUX tanks but you will have to import it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom