Doable? Toyta 4.5 Litre V8 Turbo Diesel Engine Swap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
localcred.com
Hi all!

I was checking out the latest FJ70 on Toyota's Australia page and was impressed with what I learned about their new 4.5 Liter V8 Turbo Diesel Engine. 20% more power. 30% less weight. 20 to 25 mpg.

So it got me thinking... how cool would it be to get my hands on one of these engines w/ the manual 5 speed transmission and swap them into my 97 fj80? Since diesel's are much more efficient than gasoline engines at low RPMs, this would make an awesome trail rig.

Thoughts?

Has anyone else already tried this?

Links:
Toyota's Page
Interesting Article

Last edited:
They had to redesign the front end of the 70 to make it fit. The 70 was designed around the 2F and later 3F and the 1FZ itself was designed around the dimensions of the 3F to back fit all the previous models and the 80 series was designed around the 3F/1FZ, so I have to wonder if there would be fitment issues. There's probably more room in an 80 than a old 70, but who knows.

Beyond that, the cost of obtaining one of those engines is probably beyond astranomical, but if I ever won the lottery, I'd sure look into it.

You would be better off in every aspect by just putting a Cummins into your FZJ. It's cheaper, simpler, easier to fix (assumption), and would probably, if you went with the 4BT, get better efficiency.

I think you will have trouble legally importing this into the US. I've looked into importing diesel vehicles and engines into the US and it isn't easy (unless the vehicle is over 25 years old). The fines listed are also pretty stiff. Just FYI.

But it would be cool!

I seriously doubt the 4BT is more efficient than the new V8. Its an old design. The 1HZ or 1HDT would be a better bet. They would be close to bolt up, and probably still more efficient than the 4BT.

Just swap in a cummins, do a turbo/intercooler and convert it to WVO. Then make real good friends with the owner of a local fast food joint---free gas forever!

Interesting .. you must need to buy the hole drivetrain, V8 and ECU .. keep in mind that the single turbo from a 70 series are less powerfull than the other twin turbo that come in the 200 series and both run a variable vane turbo with D4D tech inside .. ( common rail )

Just swap in a cummins, do a turbo/intercooler and convert it to WVO. Then make real good friends with the owner of a local fast food joint---free gas forever!

I just love posting this....gotta love...the Gov!

Last edited:
...anything is possible with the right wallet

Just swap in a cummins, do a turbo/intercooler and convert it to WVO. Then make real good friends with the owner of a local fast food joint---free FUEL forever!

There, fixed it for ya:D

Hi all!

I was checking out the latest FJ70 on Toyota's Australia page and was impressed with what I learned about their new 4.5 Liter V8 Turbo Diesel Engine. 20% more power. 30% less weight. 20 to 25 mpg.

So it got me thinking... how cool would it be to get my hands on one of these engines w/ the manual 5 speed transmission and swap them into my 97 fj80? Since diesel's are much more efficient than gasoline engines at low RPMs, this would make an awesome trail rig.

Thoughts?

Has anyone else already tried this?

They are actually VDJ78/79 series;)

4WD Action magazine say the 105 series looks as if it would have enough room to do the V8 diesel swap.
As the 105 and 80 share a similar chassis,you could assume it doable.
The hard part is finding the engine:D

Just remember to cut the economy numbers by about 1/3 when you bring a foreign diesel here.
And if it's not common rail, you'll need to figger in the cost of lubricity additives, or a pump rebuild every few 10k miles.
Thank you to the E(verybody's) P(ain in the) A(ss).

Thanks!

Thanks for all the awesome input! This is really more of a pipe dream for me, but I still think it would be really cool. I did some more research and found some good information that might address a couple of the questions here regarding common-rail and emissions:

From Jarvis Toyota in Australia, I found the following:
lc70-gxl-cab-chassis.jpg

Engine:
The 1VD-FTV engine which powers the LandCruiser 70 Series vehicles has been developed as Toyota’s first V8 diesel engine. This engine with its advanced technical development provides improved fuel efficiency. Lower emissions which comply with Euro IV regulations and reduction of noise has also been achieved.

Engine Intercooler and Piping:
The 1VD-FTV engine has a single turbocharger with an air to air intercooler located above the engine to enhance output and exhaust performance. The intercooler is fed air via the bonnet scoop sculptured into the bonnet.

Engine Specifications for the Toyota Landcruiser 70 Series:
Engine Model: 1VD-FTV
Number of cylinders and arrangement: 8 cylinders, V-type
Bore x stroke: 86.0 x 96.0mm
Displacement: 4.461cm3
Compression ratio: 16.8 : 1
Valve mechanism: 32 valve, DOHC
Intake system: Turbocharger with intercooler
Fuel system: Common-rail type
Emission regulation: Euro IV
Maximum output: >150kW
Maximum torque: > 400Nm

Transmission:
The H150F 5-speed manual transmission has been retained for the facelift LandCruiser 70 series. This transmission has been modified for use with the new 1VD-FTV engine.

Last edited:
They had to redesign the front end of the 70 to make it fit. The 70 was designed around the 2F and later 3F and the 1FZ itself was designed around the dimensions of the 3F to back fit all the previous models and the 80 series was designed around the 3F/1FZ, so I have to wonder if there would be fitment issues. There's probably more room in an 80 than a old 70, but who knows.

so does that mean that the 1fz would be an easy fit into a 3fe cruiser?

You would be better off in every aspect by just putting a Cummins into your FZJ. It's cheaper, simpler, easier to fix (assumption), and would probably, if you went with the 4BT, get better efficiency.

ya think!
A guy in my neck of the woods went this route and after nearly 30k and counting the rig still does not run!:rolleyes:

Transmission:
The H150F 5-speed manual transmission has been retained for the facelift LandCruiser 70 series. This transmission has been modified for use with the new 1VD-FTV engine.

The interesting part .. which mods . ? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom